Planning on retiring to Spain in 2018

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
13 Jul 2016 1:38 PM by DougGerman Star rating. 1 posts Send private message

Hi guys

I'm planning on retiring to Spain - to Almería (province) some time in 2018. I don't know how brexit is going to affect this, although I would guess we'll still be in the EU then, so I'm not going to worry about that for now :)

I'm divorced and have to sell the marital home when my youngest daughter is 18 (youngest of 2), so will have some capital, although probably not much more than £70k tops. My income from pensions will be about £1000 a month. I'll be moving to Spain on my own (which is a little bit scary!) but I've been learning the language for a while now and I'm pretty sure I'll be ok in that respect.

Whether to buy or to rent is something I'm struggling with a little. Properties for sale on this site suggest buying is an option although I shudder to think what some of the cheaper properties are like! I don't much mind where I live (in Almería province) although I don't fancy being stuck out in the middle of nowhere living like a hermit if I can avoid it :) Buying is the preferred option as my income will be limited and I don't much like the idea of giving a large chunk of it to someone else on a regular monthly basis.

I'm very well aware that the internet tends to paint a very rosy picture at times so advice/suggestions/guidance from the real world would be gratefully accepted :)

Thanks

Doug

Like 0      
13 Jul 2016 2:28 PM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar

Rent. Your 70 grand sterling will rent a place and pay utilities for about 15 years to 20 years. You also have the advantage of being able to up sticks and go somewhere else if it doesn't suit. Buying and then moving on is a very expensive business in Spain what with agents fees, notary fees, transfer tax and so on.. You'll get a much better choice renting as well and about 10 grand of that 70 k will be eaten up in fees and taxes.

You also won't have to worry about the effect on Brexit (except for exchange rates, of course).

Like 3      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Moving to Spain - 0 posts
Manilva Life Forums - 1 posts
Thinking of buying at Mazarron Country Club - 42 posts
Composting toilets - 0 posts
los alcazares property management - 1 posts
I'm an ordinary uk resident seeking help with moving to spain!! - 15 posts
Health/doctor services in spain for uk residents - 17 posts
Rental help please - Landlady harassment - 1 posts
property management company near torre guill / costa calida area - 0 posts
Insurance company slow to pay up - 29 posts
Removal from Dublin to Balsicas - 0 posts
Long Term Rental in Murcia - 2 posts
Looking for a local Concert Band in the SanJavier/Mar Menor region - 0 posts
Private insurance and pre-existing conditions - 23 posts
Mercers - 2 posts
Eye on Spain - account approval - 1 posts
BUSINESS OPPORTUNITY IN LANZAROTE (CANARY ISLANDS)! - 0 posts
Information requirement before I buy an apartment in the Duquesa Village - 1 posts
Recommended shipping company/route for leftovers - 0 posts
DoYouSpain Premium insurance - 8 posts
terrestrial tv - 2 posts
New Regulations for Rental Properties - installation of air conditioning - 50 posts
The legal position of the Brexit Vote - 12 posts
Help! Spanish-German lawsuit on alimony - 9 posts
car parking at malaga airport - 2 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 2

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x