Cyclists and Cycle Paths

This thread is currently locked.

:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
30 Jan 2017 10:34 PM by baz1946 Star rating. 2327 posts Send private message

Should I ask 3-2-1 host Ted Rogers and dusty bin?

You'll have a job...Teds dead, and bins aint used anymore....And still you can't fix stupid.

Like 0      
31 Jan 2017 11:34 AM by Tadd1966 Star rating in Los Montesinos. 1754 posts Send private message

potblack

If I turn right and a cyclist comes up my inside at speed and collides with me and dies am I guilty or not  of causing the cyclists death? Simple question, not rocket science.

As with many things it is not that black and white hence the discussions and drifting

If this did happen then an investigation would probably be needed and witnesses would be key to determine who was at fault. The same way if a car was undertaking you when you turned right etc. 

Simpe really and not rocket science

Like 0      
31 Jan 2017 12:19 PM by potblack Star rating in Alicante & Singapore. 233 posts Send private message

potblack´s avatar

Tadd1966 for a change I fully agree with you. Maybe there will never be an answer.

However my original question was ‘’ Whilst moving at 40 kph in a car on the inside lane has a cyclist the right of way to undertake you on the inside lane.’’ Surely somewhere in Spanish driving laws there must be an answer.

I have never been a cyclist, but we have had experienced cyclist post eos_ian  no comment,  johnzx maybe, and mariedav who states a cyclist can and has the right of way.

Maybe it will remain a mystery and a secret which will be good news for lawyers.

mariedav mentioned in her post that fortunately her husband was fully insured. Well I would not fully rely on that. Yesterday on BBC Rip of Britain Holidays, a Brit in Greece had full insurance on his car hire, had an accident that was his fault and got a bill from the car hire company for 13,000 euro for negligence, fortunately he did not injure anyone, only wrote the car off. So the morale there is don’t expect your insurance company to cover you if it’s your fault.

Like 0      
31 Jan 2017 2:25 PM by mariedav Star rating in Ciudad Quesada. 1223 posts Send private message

It was 13 years ago. The insurance did cover it and never heard another word about it despite most of the front wing being caved in, the door mirror being ripped off and a big dent in the bonnet.

Now, whenever there is a proper cycle lane or even just a painted line up the side, hubby stops before turning just to check despite having blind spot warning lights and alarms in our car. I get worried something will come from behind and bang into him but it hasn't happened (yet).

Like 0      
31 Jan 2017 2:27 PM by Tadd1966 Star rating in Los Montesinos. 1754 posts Send private message

Potblack

From who I can see in Spanish highway code and on net  the cyclist would have to adhere to the same rules any other road user would right or wrong whilst undertaking including speed limit there us no special rule for cyclists that I can find for this type of manoeuvre 

Like 1      
31 Jan 2017 4:43 PM by eos_ian Star rating in Valencia. 506 posts Send private message

eos_ian´s avatar

Potblack may this will keep you happy....

Firstly one thing is overtaking and another thing is turning right into another road. If you are travelling straight then the cyclist would have to overtake you on the left as any vehicle would. But if you stop your vehicle or slow down to turn right, this is no longer overtaking as such. In this case the cyclist would have priority if he is close to you. This is the law..

El artículo 64 del Real Decreto 1428/2003, de 21 de noviembre recoge los supuestos concretos en los que los ciclistas siempre tienen prioridad de paso sobre los vehículos a motor, que son:

Cuando circulan por un carril bici, paso para ciclistas o arcén debidamente señalizados.

Cuando para entrar en otra vía el vehículo de motor gire a derecha o izquierda, en los supuestos permitidos, y haya un ciclista en sus proximidades.

Cuando circulando en grupo, el primero haya iniciado ya el cruce o haya entrado en una glorieta. 

So the answer is if you kill a cyclist when turning right its your fault, no matter what.

Ian :   EOS TEAM MEMBER 

www.eyeonspain.com/blogs/ianandspain.aspx

Like 1      
31 Jan 2017 5:03 PM by potblack Star rating in Alicante & Singapore. 233 posts Send private message

potblack´s avatar

Thank you. I think I will part exchange my Ford Focus for a Madge Harvey motability scooter.

Like 0      
31 Jan 2017 7:14 PM by Fartharder Star rating in Loriguilla.. 172 posts Send private message

Fartharder´s avatar

If you have any doubts about driving or the driving laws here in Spain, the Guardia Civil traffic dept in Torrevieja have a Facebook page called N332 dedicated to helping foreigners understand traffic laws here. You can message them about anything you're unsure of or just check their previous posts. There's plenty on there about cycling do's and don'ts. 

Like 0      
01 Feb 2017 8:06 PM by potblack Star rating in Alicante & Singapore. 233 posts Send private message

potblack´s avatar

mariedav A crucial piece of information needed about your hubby’s accident.

Was there a cycle lane on his inside?

Like 0      
01 Feb 2017 10:04 PM by baz1946 Star rating. 2327 posts Send private message

** EDITED - inciting **

** EDITED - inciting **.

This message was last edited by eos_ian on 2/2/2017 12:10:00 PM.

Like 1      
02 Feb 2017 10:33 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

** EDITED **

When I first moved to Spain I went to a driving school and I bought a copy of the Spanish ‘Highway Code’ which learners have to study.   I wanted to be sure that I understood the rules and laws of driving in Spain. 

Those who are not fully aware might do worse than buy a copy.

For those with more than basic Spanish, maybe this would be worth a visit :

http://www.boe.es/buscar/act.php?id=BOE-A-2003-23514&tn=1&p=20150718#a2

Like 0      
02 Feb 2017 11:46 AM by potblack Star rating in Alicante & Singapore. 233 posts Send private message

potblack´s avatar

The facts are:-

A cyclist has no right to undertake a motorist in the same lane. A cyclist must stay behind a motorist whilst in the same lane.

A cyclist using a cycle lane or a hard shoulder is in a separate lane from a motorist and can pass a motorist. If a motorist collides with a cyclist in a cycle lane or hard shoulder the motorist is liable.

Like 0      
02 Feb 2017 1:07 PM by baz1946 Star rating. 2327 posts Send private message

** EDITED - Against forum rules **

Like 2      
02 Feb 2017 3:44 PM by eos_moderators Star rating in España. 173 posts Send private message

eos_moderators´s avatar

Well, we have locked the thread as it is quickly drifting and all questions seemed to have been answered. If you have another reason for us reopening the thread pm us.

This message was last edited by eos_moderators on 02/02/2017.

Like 1      

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 |

This thread is currently locked.

Previous Threads

Winter rental in Santa pola (or nearby) - 0 posts
Long term caravan site fees anyone? - 5 posts
Pain in Spain !! - 10 posts
The Sun hit s another low - 2 posts
hoppa shared shuttle from Malaga airport - 0 posts
Guidance for Board of Trustee members in Spain Charities - 2 posts
Iberdrola smart meter - causing huge problem - 14 posts
Car hire firms to provide more transparency to customers. - 3 posts
Legal tip 1311. NEW! HERRADA DEL TOLLO S.L. - BANK ACTION WON IN PROVINCIAL APPEAL COURT AGAINST SGR & BBVA FOR BUYERS AT RESIDENCIAL SANTA ANA DEL MONTE IN JUMILLA - 5 posts
Hello - 2 posts
renting - 5 posts
Mariadecastro - 5 posts
3% Devolution - 9 posts
Does anyone have a car for sale at Camposol - 7 posts
hi all - 1 posts
English plumber moving to spain - 18 posts
Channel 4 looking for new business start ups in Southern Spain - 1 posts
Air Traffic Controllers Strikes July Spain - 19 posts
LUZ CAR RENTAL murcia - 1 posts
CAR RENTAL MURCIA AIRPORT - 18 posts
What is a "refugio agricola"? - 1 posts
Hairdresser - 0 posts
Banc Sabadell Regular Transfer Plan - 4 posts
inheritance tax liability on UK inheritance after leaving Spain - 1 posts
A snapshot or a trend? - 9 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 56

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 | 3 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x