Pain in Spain !!

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
18 Jul 2015 10:25 AM by Patkev Star rating. 1 posts Send private message

I have taken up full residence status in Spain ( near to Alicante ).
I have an existing Isle of Man Life Investment Bond.

A firm called DeVere have told me to cash this in and to start
a plan with an Irish firm called SEB.

But my original advisor in Switzerland says that there is a real
danger that all of my gain on my IOM Bond could be taxed
with the top level being at 27% !  The Bond has been in force
for 11 years but I have only been a tax resident in Spain for
one year.

Can the Spain tax man really do this to me !?

I have also been told that the tax man might even view the
proceeds as an 'add on' to my pension income and will tax
all of the cash in sum rather than just the gain….this seems preposterous !

Can anyone advise any solution s.v.p ?

Like 0      
18 Jul 2015 10:38 AM by Team GB Star rating. 1245 posts Send private message

Team GB´s avatar

Can the Spain tax man really do this to me !?

Yes

You need to know if you pay tax on the accured interest annually or not until maturity.

Get a second or even a third opinion

If your bond is worth more than 50,000€ you will have to report it on a modelo 720 filed by the end of March 2016

Like 1      
18 Jul 2015 12:02 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

If your bond is worth more than 50,000€ you will have to report it on a modelo 720 filed by the end of March 2016.

That applies to all assets located outside Spain if they exceed 50,000€ in total in any of the three groups. Example:  6 bank / savings/ investment accounts if they exceed 50,000€ in total,  then all must be declared.  Or say a property or properties worth more than that, in total.   

There is no tax to pay for just having bank assets but of course any income from them must be declared as income (as qualified by any Double Taxation Agreement) and when one dies the taxman will of course know all the assets one held.

For info :   A Spaniard who failed to declare assets in Switzerland  has recently been fined 460,000€ for not declaring 350,000€ in savings (NB these figure are about right).

A tax resident in Spain must also pay ‘second home tax’ on any property which is in addition to their principle home, no matter where in the world it  is.    We pay that tax on a property owned by my wife in The Philippines, albeit that her family live in it rent free,  and on a lockup garage, which is separate from my principle home,  in Spain.

This message was last edited by johnzx on 18/07/2015.

Like 1      
02 Aug 2015 8:21 AM by kateo Star rating. 1 posts Send private message

Can you tell me whether this 'second home tax' applies to a tax resident in Spain if they own a UK property but rent one in Spain please?

My other question about the tax system in Spain is regarding an income protection policy. In the UK one doesn't pay tax on income protection payouts but is this the case for a tax resident in Spain. I can't find any information to answer this question. 

This message was last edited by kateo on 02/08/2015.

Like 0      
02 Aug 2015 8:32 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Can you tell me whether this 'second home tax' applies to a tax resident in Spain if they own a UK property but rent one in Spain please?

Simple answer is yes.

I cannot help re the other question

Like 0      
02 Aug 2015 10:26 AM by windtalker Star rating. 1935 posts Send private message

If you are a resident in Spain all you're investments out side of Spain become taxable in Spain including you're pensions.

This message was last edited by windtalker on 02/08/2015.

This message was last edited by windtalker on 02/08/2015.

Like 0      
02 Aug 2015 11:25 AM by Roly2 Star rating in Almeria. 646 posts Send private message

Your income protection policy payouts are, to my astonishment, still tax free in the UK.   This unexpected boost was only brought in in the mid 1990s, and could change at any time.   I am certain that this income will be taxable in Spain. It is simply an oddity of our tax system that the relief was given and even odder that is has been  maintained.  

Like 0      
02 Aug 2015 7:48 PM by Hephaestus Star rating in The Peak District Na.... 1234 posts Send private message

We have two friends who are retired head teachers, they are pension rich and cash/investments poor. We are the complete opposite having current joint pensions of £25K p/a with considerable cash/property and equity investments. I have taken note of other forum member's posts on this subject and have concluded that Spain is not the place to make our tax declarations, I invite your comment.  

I'm Spartacus, well why not?

Like 0      
03 Aug 2015 1:28 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

......................and have concluded that Spain is not the place to make our tax declarations,

Then you need to make sure you do become tax resident in Spain.

If you are then you do not have choice where you pay your taxes.

With the exception of former government employee pensions (and that is changing) and rental income in say UK, (which is liable to tax in both countries) if you are resident in Spain it is in Spain where you pay your taxes

Like 1      
03 Aug 2015 2:31 PM by Hephaestus Star rating in The Peak District Na.... 1234 posts Send private message

What I actually meant john is that it is my opinion that it would be safer/easier for our two retired head teacher friends to live and pay their taxes in Spain than it would for us. They have joint pensions exceeding £100K p/a, very little in savings and a UK property worth circa £250K, whilst our portfolio is somewhat more complicated.

I should have asked the question rhetorically as I was just thinking that well pensioned folk with little actual wealth would fare better in Spain than folk like us.

I'm Spartacus, well why not?

Like 0      
03 Aug 2015 3:23 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

I believe the pensions paid to teachers, who worked in the public sector, are Crown Pensions (http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/manuals/intmanual/INTM343040.htm) and thus they are taxable ONLY in UK.    

Until the declarations made in 2015, they would have enjoyed two free tax allowance. One in UK on their Crown Pensions and one in Spain on the rest of their income. Including OAP.  As from next year the Crown Pension income will be taken into account by Hacienda to determine the tax band for those liable to income tax in Spain. It will remain taxable only in UK, but as one's tax band will increase that will I believe mean more tax to pay in Spain on the other assets.   Which in effect means paying increased tax on their Crown Pension, albeit in another guise.

Having a property in UK which is not making any income would be taxed in Spain as a second home only. I understand that would be 50% of the purchase price   x    1.1%   x  24.75%  =   tax due. Two owners would each make a declaration with regard to their share.

Assets, excluding property,  not producing income, outside Spain are not generally taxed.  (720 declaration)

However `well pensioned folk’ who have any pensions other that Crown Pension, or any income worldwide,  do not get any tax concessions in Spain.

In your situation it would appear you would declare in UK any rental income and then declare in Spain where you might have further tax to pay.  I suspect you would pay less tax if you live in UK than if you become resident in Spain.

This message was last edited by johnzx on 03/08/2015.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

The Sun hit s another low - 2 posts
hoppa shared shuttle from Malaga airport - 0 posts
Guidance for Board of Trustee members in Spain Charities - 2 posts
Iberdrola smart meter - causing huge problem - 14 posts
Car hire firms to provide more transparency to customers. - 3 posts
Legal tip 1311. NEW! HERRADA DEL TOLLO S.L. - BANK ACTION WON IN PROVINCIAL APPEAL COURT AGAINST SGR & BBVA FOR BUYERS AT RESIDENCIAL SANTA ANA DEL MONTE IN JUMILLA - 5 posts
Hello - 2 posts
renting - 5 posts
Mariadecastro - 5 posts
3% Devolution - 9 posts
Does anyone have a car for sale at Camposol - 7 posts
hi all - 1 posts
English plumber moving to spain - 18 posts
Channel 4 looking for new business start ups in Southern Spain - 1 posts
Air Traffic Controllers Strikes July Spain - 19 posts
LUZ CAR RENTAL murcia - 1 posts
CAR RENTAL MURCIA AIRPORT - 18 posts
What is a "refugio agricola"? - 1 posts
Hairdresser - 0 posts
Banc Sabadell Regular Transfer Plan - 4 posts
inheritance tax liability on UK inheritance after leaving Spain - 1 posts
A snapshot or a trend? - 9 posts
Twice as many EU immigrants claiming unemployment benefits in UK than vice versa, new research shows - 15 posts
INHERITANCE TAX ON WORLDWIDE ESTATE OR ONLY SPANISH ASSETS? - 23 posts
Health tourists UK: How much do they cost and who pays? - 6 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 11

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x