Too old?

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
24 Aug 2007 12:00 AM by lioneljohn Star rating. 6 posts Send private message

Hi Everyone,

We are driving over to the Malaga area end of September.No idea where we want to stay! We've allowed ourselves(financially) 6-12 months to find work and an area we like. We are both T.E.F.L. teachers .(experenced) The last three years spent teaching in Thailand but willing to do anything to cover expenses before our pensions kick in. At 59 years of age, are we mad or too old to do this? Any advice on the drive over,area to live and possibilities of work would be appreciated.

Thanks, John and Regina.

BYEEE

Like 0      
24 Aug 2007 11:29 AM by rowlandsbb Star rating in Gloucestershire &Hue.... 779 posts Send private message

rowlandsbb´s avatar
Never too old to change your life style and move to Spain!!

Like 0      
24 Aug 2007 11:37 AM by miket Star rating in La Mairena, Elviria. 371 posts Send private message

Hi LionelJohn,

Well youre certainly not too old at 59! You'll be in good company that time of year as many "Older" owners use their apartments for the winter months on the Costa's.

Regardless of whether you want to live inland or coastal, rentals are plentiful and you can find lots of properties on this site alone in the long term rentals section. You can also Google "long term Rentals" where you'll find hundreds to choose from. Rents start at around €600 a month upwards for a 1/2 bed apt. Work can be quite difficult to find in the winter months so it would be worth looking at some of the Jobs sites asap particularly for the CDS. You will both need to apply for at least  an NIE number (Identity Card) at some stage from the local police station.

You can find lots of info about all of these issues and many others by using the search facility "Search Forums" Top right above. Members are amazingly well informed and helpful on eyeonspain so just keep asking questions!!.

The British Consulate maybe able to point you in the right direction for T.E.F.L teaching possibilities in the Malaga area.

Address: Consulado General Británico
c/ Mauricio Moro Pareto, 2
Edificio Eurocom
29006 Malaga

E-mail: malaga@fco.gov.uk
Not to be used in case of emergency

Tel.: (+ 34) 952352300
Fax: (+ 34) 952359211

The British Consul is Mr. Bruce McIntyre
Address: Consulado General Británico
c/ Mauricio Moro Pareto, 2
Edificio Eurocom
29006 Malaga

E-mail: malaga@fco.gov.uk
Not to be used in case of emergency

Tel.: (+ 34) 952352300
Fax: (+ 34) 952359211

The British Consul is Mr. Bruce McIntyre
Good Luck with your plans............................

This message was last edited by miket on 8/24/2007.

Mike T

Like 0      
24 Aug 2007 12:09 PM by Rixxy Star rating in San Pedro. 2010 posts Send private message

Rixxy´s avatar

I think you will find a demand for teaching, especially native english teachers teaching english! You could apply for work in a spanish school (you will need a basic level of spanish for this) or of course a private school OR private lessons!

Got to some of the international and public schools near where you settle and speak to the heads - they will probably allow you to place an advertisement in the school

Here in Malaga there are 64 bilingual schools whee I think it is 3 subjects are being taught in a different languag - one of those being english. This was introduced a few years ago and is now growing in popularity. Spanish teachers trying to teach english as no-where near as good as a native talker and to suppliment and income you could for example get a proeprty with a spare room or basement for group teaching or go to the subjects home to teach. The Spanish are very keen for their children to learn english oral and written and the ex-pats here if like myself came out when the kids were young and placed them into spanish school, dont have a clue how to teach their children english! So they end up with oral skills picked up but little or no grammar and written skills.

I had to go back to the UK for 8 months through my life here and it was actually the best thing for my kids as they quickly settled and learned to write english, hence their skills are way above the average spaniard which will stand themin good stead for their future.

Good luck and at 59 with your attitude you are still a young un anyway!

Quite frankly m'dear, I don't give a damn!

www.herbalmarbella.com

Like 0      
24 Aug 2007 12:37 PM by Smiley Star rating in San Pedro de Alcanta.... 2502 posts Send private message

Smiley´s avatar
At 59 - piece of cake to find work - with your skills. Friend of mine is TEFL - qualified about two and a half years ago - started working for someone on an informal basis who herslef could not cope with the demand - eventually she actually took over the other lady's business as she went to work on full time contract - now has two other TEFLs working for her from her house. She seems as happy as Larry and all the rooms are being used and maximising profitability - dont think she will ever own a Ferrari of course but she makes a comfortable living.  

Smiley - patrick@marbellamortgages.com  www.marbellamortgages.com   www.comparetravelcash.co.uk

Like 0      
29 Aug 2007 7:39 AM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar
59....you're still a baby!

We know various TEFL qualified expats that have easily found work in the International schools here.

Best of luck with it.

Justin

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      
29 Aug 2007 11:55 AM by TheBantam Star rating. 107 posts Send private message

As a someone now retired but who started my working life as an ESOL teacher I've seen numerous ads for TEFL teachers in the area between Malaga and Estepona. Many of them are looking for people with CELTA quals, but some, particularly those aimed at people who can work with primary aged children are looking for general teaching quals. There are also ads up in the library in Benalmadena seeking people who can offer private tuition. In addition to all of this the Bi-Lingual schools in the area are having to limit their intakes as there are insufficient native English teachers  who have additional subject expertise to support their needs. If at 58 ,nearly 59, I wasn't enjoying early retirement so much I'd be securing one of the numerous opportunities that are  out there.

Go for it and Good Luck.!

Jenny

Like 0      
29 Aug 2007 1:12 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

http://www.onlinetefl.com/six-steps.html  Site for you to find work.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Hello - 1 posts
Which website to sell my property? - 3 posts
Which website to sell my property? - 13 posts
Car - 18 posts
grupo location - 2 posts
Opions on Estate Agents - 10 posts
Property Problems? ITV Documentary - 4 posts
MOTORCYCLE TRIPS - 5 posts
Hi all - 1 posts
re- mortgage advice wanted - 3 posts
golf - 5 posts
Hi all - advice appreciated. - 11 posts
Hotel Lloyds Club, seafront, La Mata near Torrevieja, CB - 0 posts
Is there a Urologist or Qualified Midwife amongst our members? - 8 posts
A business for my nephew - 1 posts
Free texts - 0 posts
LOOKING FOR OFFICE SPACE, SHOWROOM, WAREHOUSE ? - 0 posts
to all investing in guadlapin banus - 6 posts
MIKE T, MOVING TO SPAIN.................................................. - 28 posts
90% of valuation - 1 posts
Recommendations Wanted - 1 posts
La Hacienda del Senorio de Cifuentes - 1 posts
denuncia on developer - 5 posts
Long term rental required,Costa Calida area.2008 - 2 posts
Luz De Almoradi - 4 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 8

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x