PASSPORT CHANGE

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
26 Feb 2014 8:16 PM by steve3236 Star rating. 7 posts Send private message

HI Everyone

I have just renewed my passport which has a different number than the previous one, do i have to inform any of the authorities with regards to this.

As when we purchased our property many years ago ( if i can remember rightly ) the passport number was used on several occasions :  NIE application etc.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Steve

Like 0      
26 Feb 2014 9:48 PM by baz1946 Star rating. 2327 posts Send private message

If you have renewed your passport then yes, your old one now doesn't exist, your bank for one instance will need you to inform them of the new passport and number. Cover yourself and inform everyone you can think of, even if you have one, your solicitor.

Hope it helps.

Like 1      
27 Feb 2014 8:06 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Baz may be right, but in 25 years in Spain (3 passports,  and last year I took up my right to an Irish PP)  I have never informed anyone of a new passport number and I have never actually been aware of anyone who has.

The only time anything was ever mentioned was after I changed my name.  I had bought the first property in my birth name and was selling it in my 'new name.'  The Notary had never known anyone change their name,  as in Spain it almost impossible to do it.  

When my wife renewed her PP she changed the name to my surname (following the custom to do that) and when she later renewed her Residencia  (she is non EU so has Residencia) it was issued on her new name.

As for bank etc they have your NIE and that is your ID in Spain.

This message was last edited by johnzx on 27/02/2014.

Like 0      
27 Feb 2014 8:11 AM by mariedav Star rating in Ciudad Quesada. 1223 posts Send private message

Banks generally ask for a copy of the new passport. Especially important if you set up your account using your passport. If you use online banking, the old passport number could be the one used to access it. 

NIE, residencia etc doesn''t matter as the passport was only used to prove who you were in the first place.

Like 1      
27 Feb 2014 8:40 AM by steve3236 Star rating. 7 posts Send private message

Many thanks for the info you supplied, appreciate it.

Cheers.

Steve

Like 1      
27 Feb 2014 8:40 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Especially important if you set up your account using your passport

Interesting.

I understand all bank account holders must have an NIE, even those who opened the account before that was a (legal) requirement.  However, I can understand that if a PP is used as their ID then the bank would need a copy any change.

My bank, my wife's and my son / daughter-in-law's (non-resident) bank have never done that and I access them all online.  Although I have no doubt that if I offered them a copy of my new passport, as my ID,  they would take it.  My wife did not give a copy of her PP,  the bank took a copy of her Residencia Card as her ID.

Like 0      
27 Feb 2014 8:41 AM by baz1946 Star rating. 2327 posts Send private message

Only this week, and answered yesterday,  I had a letter from my Spanish bank asking me if I have had a new passport in the last two years to let them know the NEW passport number.

No one should care less about what anyone else does, look after number one. If you want to inform, do it, if you don't, don't do it.

Like 2      
27 Feb 2014 10:12 AM by lobin Star rating. 256 posts Send private message

I think it is a good idea to keep your bank informed of any changes in the document they will require in order to identify that you are who you say you are.  

In Spain, every Spaniard has a National Identity number (DNI) that is permanent.  This is how banks and others identify the person.  In the case of non Spanish nationals, the extended practice is to identify people by their passport number.  If you passport number has changed, you might have problems in the future to get the bank to identify you.

With some banks, the user name is your passport number, that is the number of your passport when you first registered yourself for online use.  In these cases, your username will remain unchanged even if your passport number changes, so there is no problem to continue using online services, but if you need a service for which you must go to the bank and identify yourself, your new passport will need to be registered with them.  It is, thus, a good idea to register the new passport from the beginning.

Like 1      
27 Feb 2014 12:10 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Lobin, Accepted,  but I have no problems with ID in my bank as they know me. 

At other times, except when it is really official, notary, police, court, etc (when an original  PP is the only legal ID for Brits) I use my Residencia which expired in 2007, without any problem,  and sometimes my Spanish DL, both of which have my NIE as my ID. 

My wife uses her Residencia as ID.  

So in our case we have never needed to inform anyone of new PP numbers.

This message was last edited by johnzx on 27/02/2014.

Like 0      
27 Feb 2014 12:43 PM by baz1946 Star rating. 2327 posts Send private message

Accepted,  but I have no problems with ID in my bank as they know me.

YOUR local bank might know you, MY local Spanish bank knows me very well, but where my banks letter came from is Madrid, head office,  they don't know me at all, this is all to do with keeping records straight, correct and up to date with current information, legality as well no doubt.

The fact that you are running around with an out of date Residencia and you have never, or know anyone who has ever been asked for new passport numbers has no bearing on what the original poster asked help for.

Like 2      
27 Feb 2014 1:12 PM by scubamike Star rating in Murcia province . 218 posts Send private message

scubamike´s avatar
I changed my passport about 3 years ago I have not felt the need to inform anybody However Telefonica had my original passport number from when I originally took out the service When I wanted to cancel my ADSL they insisted on copies of the original and new passports as id

Like 1      
27 Feb 2014 1:13 PM by acer Star rating. 1529 posts Send private message

I was discussing something with my bank earlier in the week and I was amazed - they told me that my passport was expiring shortly (!) when I told them I had renewed it already they were keen to take a copy.  I believe it's due to my non-resident status and the declaration.

Like 1      
27 Feb 2014 1:13 PM by elaineG Star rating in Spain . 409 posts Send private message

Hi johnzx, I see at last, it has taken a while,  you seem to have taken the intelligent route and seem to be ignoring Baz1946

Like 0      
27 Feb 2014 1:43 PM by baz1946 Star rating. 2327 posts Send private message

Hi johnzx, I see at last, it has taken a while,  you seem to have taken the intelligent route and seem to be ignoring Baz1946

Think for the most part you might find it's been the other way around, even to the point of not answering his private e-mails....

Psst....And he didn't ignore me...Even mentioned my name.

If you care to read the original posters request you will find that his answers had no bearing on what had been asked,  everyone else has answered in a straight foreword honest manner to the question, even your post about me has no meaning.

It might seem to many that this forum is for one person only, and if you don't agree with that persons comments you tend to get the life history....Over and over again, in some case's until you agree with him.

Anyway now please do tell me that I am wrong about how I answered the original posters question....Prove me wrong and I will apoligise loud and clear on here.

Like 2      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Community Accounts - 5 posts
Community Swimming Pool - 0 posts
personal tax allowances in spain - 2 posts
Missing, possibly stolen: Our beautiful Spaniel cross, tan colour, three years old. - 8 posts
Residency in Spain - 17 posts
EXCHANGE RATE FOR YEARLY TAXES. - 7 posts
12 Months on and still no date for appeal - 7 posts
Spare furniture - 0 posts
PROPERTY TAX BILL APPEAL ANY USE!? - 56 posts
Car in Spain - 7 posts
Mazarron Golf Course Property, 2 & 3 Bedroom villas - 13 posts
El Pinet deposits - 0 posts
Sleep Well, Folks ;) - 1 posts
Just curious - 17 posts
UK TV Mar Menor area - 2 posts
Casares Del Sol - 1 posts
New ID card information, please! - 4 posts
toll road - 4 posts
Car Rental Malaga - 5 posts
Visiting Nerja, Alumencar, Salobrena - 4 posts
Iberdrola - In English - 0 posts
Is a UK Visa Needed - 4 posts
Inaccuracy in Nota Simple - 2 posts
I pad 2 query - 8 posts
BUYING A SPANISH USED CAR WITH NO DOCUMENTS - 3 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 14

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x