EXCHANGE RATE FOR YEARLY TAXES.

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
23 Feb 2014 1:55 PM by formentera costa Star rating. 368 posts Send private message

Hi,

can anyone tell me what rate the tax office (hacienda)

will be using this year so I can work out how much tax I will owe

them when my tax forms have to be submitted by the 30th june

I have my pension paid into my english bank account so have to.

convert yearly amount paid from pounds to euros.

coolyes

Like 0      
23 Feb 2014 3:06 PM by marcbernard Star rating in Marina Alta; Alicant.... 254 posts Send private message

I have a note from an earlier posting that the rate used is that for 31 December 2013 which was £1 = €1.1956.

If you are going to submit your own tax return be sure that you know all the ins and outs.Without knowing your circumstances, I suggest you read as many posting on here as you can find. I find it quite reasonable to use a qualified Gestor to do mine, and I am a retired UK Inland Revenue man! Google "Spain accountants" for info.

Like 0      
23 Feb 2014 4:03 PM by Mickyfinn Star rating in Spain and France. 1833 posts Send private message

I use the actual rate my UK income was paid. Each month I make a note on a spreadsheet what rate was applied and simply add it all up. That way your fire proof.  

Like 0      
23 Feb 2014 4:28 PM by marcbernard Star rating in Marina Alta; Alicant.... 254 posts Send private message

Mickey

That is true if one gets the pension paid direct into your bank account but the OP says that he holds it in UK until he draws it, so there is no attachment to the rate of payment. It may be acceptable to Hacienda, if lucky, but there could be an attack of swings and roundabouts!

Like 0      
23 Feb 2014 4:50 PM by Mickyfinn Star rating in Spain and France. 1833 posts Send private message

Mmmm, doing it that way it must increase the overhead costs of using Euros over the period of a year depending if they live in Spain. Methinks the OP needs financial advice..

Like 0      
24 Feb 2014 8:30 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

The rate Hacienda use it that at midnight on 31st December of the tax year, so the next return will be for income in 2013, so midnight 31.12.13.  I think that was 1.20 euro to pound.

My OAP is paid directly into my Spanish bank,  4 weekly, so I just add up the total euros for the year (including WFA and Christmas Bonus, both are taxable in Spain).   If the UK pension, or any other income, diviidends, interest etc,.  is paid into a UK  bank, then the annual rate is applied to the whole amount paid in over the year, regardless of the rate when it was deposited.

Like 0      
24 Feb 2014 8:46 AM by KathysLad Star rating. 329 posts Send private message

If you submit  your own return you can use whatever rate you want, because its a self assessment process, BUT you have to justify it if you are required to provide supporting evidence. Personally, I use the ECB daily euro rate on the day of receipt, as this is the published going back to 1999.

The average rate for 2013 (using the ECB rates) was €1.1777. The rate on the 31st December was 1.1995.

Like 0      
24 Feb 2014 9:50 AM by formentera costa Star rating. 368 posts Send private message

thanks everyone for replies.

i do actually use a gestor but I like to know

in advance an idea what I owe (if any) and I

work it out myself beforehand so i am

prepared.

coolyes

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

12 Months on and still no date for appeal - 7 posts
Spare furniture - 0 posts
PROPERTY TAX BILL APPEAL ANY USE!? - 56 posts
Car in Spain - 7 posts
Mazarron Golf Course Property, 2 & 3 Bedroom villas - 13 posts
El Pinet deposits - 0 posts
Sleep Well, Folks ;) - 1 posts
Just curious - 17 posts
UK TV Mar Menor area - 2 posts
Casares Del Sol - 1 posts
New ID card information, please! - 4 posts
toll road - 4 posts
Car Rental Malaga - 5 posts
Visiting Nerja, Alumencar, Salobrena - 4 posts
Iberdrola - In English - 0 posts
Is a UK Visa Needed - 4 posts
Inaccuracy in Nota Simple - 2 posts
I pad 2 query - 8 posts
BUYING A SPANISH USED CAR WITH NO DOCUMENTS - 3 posts
non resident tax murcia - advice please - 13 posts
Car insurance - 2 posts
Channel 5HD - 3 posts
Long term car hire - 3 posts
Advice on a Dacion en pago - 3 posts
Yet another 720 query - 6 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 8

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x