NIE Certificate

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | ... | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
05 Mar 2007 10:21 PM by san miguel Star rating. 288 posts Send private message

san miguel´s avatar

This message was last edited by san miguel on 3/19/2007.

STOP CYBER-BULLYING 

AND PRACTICE WHAT YOU PREACH

Like 0      
05 Mar 2007 11:27 PM by JeansSis Star rating. 2376 posts Send private message

JeansSis´s avatar

This message was last edited by JeansSis on 5/17/2007.

Like 0      
05 Mar 2007 11:34 PM by san miguel Star rating. 288 posts Send private message

san miguel´s avatar

This message was last edited by san miguel on 3/19/2007.

STOP CYBER-BULLYING 

AND PRACTICE WHAT YOU PREACH

Like 0      
12 Mar 2007 10:58 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

According to an advert placed by the British Embassy in the local English press, as from March 27th, residence cards will no longer be issued, in accordance with the new EU decree. Existing cards will also be replaced with the new "certificate", when they are due for renewal.

Anyone who has lived here any time will have noticed that Spanish nationals always carry their ID cards, and in fact have to produce them for many every day activities, such as paying for the groceries by credit card. For most of us expats, the only difference for us in this aspect of life in Spain, is that our cards are blue not pink.

My residence card is due for renewal later this year, and frankly, I am a little concerned. My passport will be of limited use as my main form of ID (even if I wanted to lug it around with me everywhere) since it's number does not correspond to anything else here, such as my bank accounts, property deeds, driving licence etc, and I don't think some scrappy piece of paper will be very practical either. Am I missing something? I'm not pro ID cards or anything, but I'll miss my little blue card, and I feel like I'm being denied something that's my right. Ironic? Any thoughts?

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
12 Mar 2007 11:08 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

Copy of the ad in today's Town Crier (Costa del Sol) for those interested:

ATTENTION BRITISH

NATIONALS

NEW LEGISLATION DOES AWAY WITH

REQUIREMENT OF RESIDENCE

CARDS FOR EU RESIDENTS IN SPAIN

New decree establishes requirement for British

nationals and other EU citizens planning to reside in

Spain to register with Spanish authorities.

Royal Decree 240/2007 approved on February 16th

2007 by the Spanish Council of Ministers establishes

that from March 28th 2007, European Union citizens

will no longer be issued with residence cards.

However, the new decree requires all EU citizens

planning to reside in Spain for more than 3 months to

register in person at the Foreigners’ Office (Oficina de

Extranjeros) in their province of residence or at

designated police stations.

They will be issued a certificate stating their name,

address, nationality, identity number and date of

registration.

Those EU citizens in Spain who already have

residence cards will not need to re-register until their

residence card expires upon which they will be issued

with a certificate.

We recommend British citizens in Spain to always

carry with them some proof of identity.

Royal Decree 240/2007 is a transposition of European

Directive 2004/38/EC to Spanish legislation.

More information on the new requirements will be

available on the Spanish Ministry of Interior’s

website www.mir.es in due course.

Mark Twain

Like 0      
13 Mar 2007 6:06 PM by Gillespie Star rating in Costa Calida Area. 608 posts Send private message

Gillespie´s avatar
Hey Roberto - I just renewed my res card before xmas, and had no idea they were doing away with them so i got till oct 2011 - bet that must have been one of the last ones issued. If you take your new certificate to the town hall you can get them to authenticate 2 or 3 verified copies so you don´t need to cary the original. The first thing I did when i came to Spain is have my NIE turned into an NIF card, they stopped doing that in 2001, but the NIF card has no expiry date so I can always use that instead of a passport if I lost my res card. Failing all that, I was once stopped by a security guard at Alicante airport for illegal parking, he asked for ID and I gave him what I thought was my res card, he said "ok" and let me go, when I went to put the card back in my wallet I couldn´t help but laugh cos I had actually given him my Durham City library card. Well it fooled him, remember --- In the land of the blind the one eyed man is KING!

Business advice and consultancy - Visit www.calidain2business.com

Calida in2 Business - Spanish Property Clearance.

www.spanishpropertyclearance.com

Like 0      
13 Mar 2007 7:39 PM by johnone Star rating in La Reserva de Marbel.... 233 posts Send private message

johnone´s avatar

Hola Roberto

Thanks for the information

Johnone

Dime con quién andas y te diré quién eres.

Like 0      
14 Mar 2007 12:12 AM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

Here's more on the same from CB News:

http://www.costablanca-news.com/news/frontnorth.htm

Just had a look in another forum (I go there sometimes just to reassure myself this is the best one) and found this post:

All that is happening is that the card is being replaced by a certificate - big deal!

The requirements to register have not changed and you still have to queue at the police station as before. In theory it will be issued on the spot.

It will need to be exchanged after 5 years for another certificate of permanent residency.

Personally I wish they had not changed it, now the certificate will no longer be an identity document so you will also have to carry other ID.

It seems to be a case of "the tarjeta is dead, long live the certificado".

Another case of EU change for changes sake.

Exactly my point. What  is the point?

Mark Twain

Like 0      
14 Mar 2007 3:43 PM by Gillespie Star rating in Costa Calida Area. 608 posts Send private message

Gillespie´s avatar
If it ain´t bust don´t fix it springs to mind Roberto!

Business advice and consultancy - Visit www.calidain2business.com

Calida in2 Business - Spanish Property Clearance.

www.spanishpropertyclearance.com

Like 0      
14 Mar 2007 4:16 PM by jerezgirl Star rating in Jerez de la Frontera. 43 posts Send private message

jerezgirl´s avatar

I´ve just stumbled across this thread and I am really hacked off now!!

My tarjeta de residencia is up for renewal soon and from what I gather here instead of getting a nice shiny new card, I will get some crappy piece of paper that I will have to fold up in my purse and carry with me, and STILL need some form of ID for day to day business.  There is NO WAY I intend to carry my passport around with me!  What happens if it has expired anyway?  Driving licences, etc are not universally accepted.

What a crock of sh*t.

This message was last edited by jerezgirl on 3/14/2007.

Like 0      
14 Mar 2007 4:30 PM by JeansSis Star rating. 2376 posts Send private message

JeansSis´s avatar

Like 0      
14 Mar 2007 4:58 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

Janice, you've edited the best bit out of this post! I'll gladly accept your aforementioned punishment, but on condition that I can return the favour, because you're also a little naughty for not reading my post properly.

This thread is titled "NIE certificate". The reason I posted here, is because us residents are about to have our beloved blue tarjeta de residencia replaced by this stupid NIE certificate. To us, residencia and NIE are pretty much one and the same thing anyway.

I popped round to my local cop shop this morning to see if there's any chance of renewing my card before D-Day, 27th March, even though it doesn't expire until December. The office that deals with applications is closed from the 7th for 20 days for "refitting", in preparation for the introduction of the new system. Sounds like an excuse for a holiday to me.

My Spanish drivers licence is also due for renewal this year, when I expect to get a new photo-card style one. I'm hoping maybe this will suffice for all those occasions when previously I was able to whip out my little blue one.

This message was last edited by Roberto on 3/14/2007.

Mark Twain

Like 0      
14 Mar 2007 5:12 PM by JeansSis Star rating. 2376 posts Send private message

JeansSis´s avatar

Like 0      
14 Mar 2007 6:04 PM by Smiley Star rating in San Pedro de Alcanta.... 2502 posts Send private message

Smiley´s avatar
Hola Roberto same at Estepona cop shop too - went there yesterday to collect a certificate for a client - only to find out that it is shut and has been for nearly 2 weeks in preparation for the new regime - when asked where can I go to get the certificate the reply was come back next week - when I explained it was urgent as the client is completing on the purchase tomorrow (theyre not by the way) I was told come back next week - only in frigging Spain - "lets introduce a procedure without worrying about the consequences and lets shut the whole shop down in the meantime" I wonder what would have happened had the client come to Spain today to collect the NIe to go to the Notary tomorrow to complete -

Smiley - patrick@marbellamortgages.com  www.marbellamortgages.com   www.comparetravelcash.co.uk

Like 0      
14 Mar 2007 6:24 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar
Don't give up Janice. We're all learning things everyday, that's why we're in this forum. Oh yes, and because it's fun!

Mark Twain

Like 0      
14 Mar 2007 7:11 PM by Pitby Star rating in Andalucía. 1904 posts Send private message

Pitby´s avatar
I assure you Smiley, it's not only in Spain!!!  People are sold "freehold" property here with a GUARANTEE that they will have a residence permit (which is only valid for three years!!!) and it's not true as residence permits are totally at the discretion of Immigration (and could be refused) and there is never a guarantee it will or won't be renewed after three years!!!  So, you've got a villa/apartment here but no guarantee you can actually use it after a certain length of time!  A little bit of research goes a long way .....

This message was last edited by Pitby on 3/14/2007.

Like 0      
15 Mar 2007 11:42 PM by Smiley Star rating in San Pedro de Alcanta.... 2502 posts Send private message

Smiley´s avatar

No Land Registry there either I believe Jan - thus the property still belongs to the sheikh? Or have I missed something - I know that in the UK the Crown always owns the land ones house is on but the deed of title and Land Registry process give you the rights of usage of the land - in theory the Crown could always take it back but I suspect the peasants would be revolting if that happened - whats the situation in Dubai - have I got it wrong or is it somewhat more complex than that

Smiley - patrick@marbellamortgages.com  www.marbellamortgages.com   www.comparetravelcash.co.uk

Like 0      
16 Mar 2007 4:46 AM by Pitby Star rating in Andalucía. 1904 posts Send private message

Pitby´s avatar
Smiley, basically, even though they issued a new law last year (which was meant to clarify the situation for investors!), it is all still very vague.  There is a Land Department where owners interests are registered, but the new law still doesn't really define "freehold" and stipulates that foreigners can own freehold "subject to the approval of the Dubai Ruler" and only in certain designated areas/developments.  So basically, that "approval" could effectively be withdrawn at any time!  Even after you've bought!  Personally, as the nationals are only about 10pc of the population, I don't believe they will allow outright land ownership for foreigners - that would be losing too much control.  Government here can do what they like - no rights to revolt!! 

This message was last edited by Pitby on 3/16/2007.

Like 0      
16 Mar 2007 8:53 AM by leema Star rating in Washington Tyne & We.... 655 posts Send private message

Hi Jan

What a night owl, do you have problems sleeping, or is it the time difference.

Maureen

PS  I have sent you  a PM

Maureen & Dennis

Coto Real

Like 0      
22 Mar 2007 5:35 PM by tyrills Star rating in bootle,merseyside/po.... 73 posts Send private message

tyrills´s avatar

hello everone,
                        i did read or im sure i did that you can down load a form for our nie number and take it to the spanish consulate

myself but i cant find the forum were read that if some kind person could help, im sure janice will know.

thanks  jeff 

Like 0      

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | ... | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

english reg car - 68 posts
How does a Community Work? - 177 posts
Motoring Organisations - 2 posts
Feliz Navidad - 2 posts
SuperiorworldWide ? - 1 posts
My pics - 2 posts
Is spain in france - 0 posts
INFO PLEASE - 0 posts
medication - 27 posts
angela G - 4 posts
Disablility in Torrevejeia - 0 posts
Spanish Inheritance Tax - 48 posts
Millennium Worldwide - 5 posts
EasyJet seats for summer 2007 are now being sold - 4 posts
WANTED TO RENT - 9 posts
Daily service from Gibraltar to Madrid - 0 posts
new town plan - 2 posts
Independent - 23 posts
Driving Licences - 26 posts
Electricians - 1 posts
Transporting goods to Spain - 13 posts
Skiing in Sierra Nevada - 13 posts
Electricity & Water Charges - 46 posts
Mirador Linked Villas - Fuente de Piedra - 2 posts
Buying and running a car in Spain - 21 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 139

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x