NIE Certificate

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | ... | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
22 Jun 2007 9:07 PM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar
 My advise is that if arricved the time for completion you have no extension of  the completion deadline, you can apply again here in Spain and even the day before completion. The new Notary regulations allows you to complet just with the receipt document of having applied ( with the proper stamp of the Police Offices). YOU WILL HAVE TO GET THE REAL NIE DOCUMENT  within the following 30 working days so you will not incur in penalties for delays at the paying of the transmission tax. 

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
17 Jul 2007 12:47 PM by pknott Star rating in Costa Blanca. 142 posts Send private message

pknott´s avatar
As this is the largest forum topic on NIE...I have a question for all you experts...

If I am in Spain with my wife and three children and I am declaring income as self employed, but my wife is not working, do the whole family benefit from my single Social Security contributions, as would happen in the UK and Ireland?

Also if I am only earning a very small wage, then what would be the minimum I could pay into SS to take benefits?

Many thanks

Like 0      
17 Jul 2007 1:36 PM by noelandwilma Star rating in Loughborough/Porto F.... 86 posts Send private message

I will try to help and clarify a couple of points for you.

The NIE has nothing to do with national insurance and should not be confused with your NI number in the UK. NIE is the Numero de Identidad de Extranjeros, literally the identification number for strangers (foreigners) without which you cannot do anything of a financial nature in Spain, open a bank account, buy a car, or obtain a mortgage.

As I understand it, if you are working but not on a contract you can opt to pay the equivalent of national insurance which entitles you and your family to certain benefits in Spain. I am sure that if you were to run searches on here you would find more detail, it might also be worth searching the British consualte web pages for information on working in Spain.

Good luck and I hope I have sent you on the right path.

Like 0      
17 Jul 2007 5:34 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2627 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

We were in Mojacar this weekend and spoke to our solicitor about NIE. As it stood on that Saturday (14th July) we were told that if we opened a bank account in Cartagena, the solicitor could apply for the NIE on our behalf as we had proven a link with the area. Our solicitor is in Aguilas and will do this for us in the included 1% purchase price. He also pointed out that the law could change at any time and should it do so, we would then have to travel to Spain to gain it. The other option he gave us was to come to Spain the week before completion for a holiday and apply. Should the number not have been issued by the end of the week, there is a way he could take on the mortgage until such time as our numbers came through, all at no extra cost.

Mark

Like 0      
17 Jul 2007 5:41 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar
pknott, if you are working on a self-employed basis, known as autonomo, you will be required to pay a standard amount each month, currently around €240 I think, irrespective of how much you earn (or declare!) I think you may find more useful information on the Healthcare in Spain thread. Try posting there as well.

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
18 Jul 2007 12:38 PM by pknott Star rating in Costa Blanca. 142 posts Send private message

pknott´s avatar
Roberto, many thanks...but do you know if the 240 will cover all dependants?

Also....I have conflicting answers on this but can you get your NIE if you have no address...nor rental contract....can you use a non Spanish address and still get one issued? I am in CB for three weeks in August and also a week in October...some people have said they did get it...some people not...

Like 0      
19 Jul 2007 7:27 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar
Sorry, I've run out of answers! As far as I know, dependants will be covered if you pay "autonomo", but I'm not certain, so you're best to check with a gestor or wait for someone with first hand experience to answer here. As for the NIE, there have been discussions elsewhere about this, so surf around and you may find more info, but I believe some people have successfully obtained theirs through UK consulates, whether without a Spanish address or not I could not say.

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
25 Jul 2007 12:53 PM by pknott Star rating in Costa Blanca. 142 posts Send private message

pknott´s avatar
Only one more on NIE....does every member of the family need an NIE number setup for them when you are looking to move out to live full time in spain, I know that they all need to go on the Padron for the purposes of getting health care...I have searched for this and cannot find a definitive answer....I assume if they do its the same pack drill for each one...photos...etc etc and that everyone of them have to be with you when you present yourself at the national police station...if thats where we choose to do it

I know I have said this before....but a quickie to the EOS team...wouldn't it be a good idea to get all the fab contributors answers in a set of FAQ on the given topics...I have been building my own as I have gone through this forum and put it all into a xls....would be willing to send if you want a copy...it could be put into a single HTML page with links to other hot topics that seem to get posted all the time...just an idea so please don't shoot me 

Like 0      
25 Jul 2007 2:30 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Certainly each adult, never thought about chidren, maybe not, hmm, quite a question, pknott (good one)

Will find out

I think what you asked BTW is a great idea. I collate advice & websites. You don't think I pull all my advice out of fresh air do you, ha ha ! I ask around on various forums on behalf of our members too & will ask for you elsewhere. Watch this space.

Like 0      
25 Jul 2007 3:47 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar
Just checked that out & certainly to start Spanish Senior school they do.

Like 0      
25 Jul 2007 4:22 PM by pknott Star rating in Costa Blanca. 142 posts Send private message

pknott´s avatar
I think the best bet is to play safe and get them all in.....cool....and thanks...

Like 0      
25 Jul 2007 5:16 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Like 0      
09 Aug 2007 11:41 AM by NieNumberDirect Star rating. 13 posts Send private message

NieNumberDirect´s avatar

Applying for your NIE Number from outside of Spain IS legal!

There is much ambiguity over the actual legal process of obtaining an NIE Number without the need to come to Spain.  Or to wait 6-10 weeks to apply through a consulate.   The site that you will find in my signature below, specificially the NIE Number FAQ describes (in detail) the legalities and the procedure involved.

It IS possible to get your NIE within 2 weeks even if you are outside of Spain.

This message was last edited by NieNumberDirect on 8/10/2007.

Like 0      
09 Aug 2007 3:46 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2627 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

My solicitor has collected a letter from my Barclays Spanish branch in Cartagena stating I have an account there (therefore I have a financial interest in the area) and put in my NIE application today. It should be ready to collect in about 3 weeks with no visit required.

Mark

Like 0      
14 Aug 2007 7:23 PM by loughdeab352 Star rating. 5 posts Send private message

Hi

Can anyone tell me where I can find the application for NIE in English, I have tried to interpret with the little Spanish I know and want to ensure that I have done this correctly?

Thanks all

Like 0      
14 Aug 2007 9:25 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Hi loughdeab352

I typed "NIE in English" into Google & got it. Hope you'll sort it now, ok .

http://www.idealspain.com/Pages/Information/MovingToSpain.htm

Section 5 says..

N.I.E. Number
As a foreigner living and/or working in Spain, the first thing you MUST do on arrival is obtain an NIE number. This is a simple process providing you follow the guidelines. You can get a Gestor to apply for you but it will cost you about 100€. To do it your self, go to the National Police station and collect an application form, or you can download the form here. You can complete the form in English and it is FREE. You will need Adobe Acrobat to download the form. Download this program, free of charge, here.

HOW TO FILL IN THE N.I.E. APPLICATION FORM
1 DATOS PERSONALES means PERSONAL DETAILS

1er Apellido: Surname
2º Apellido : (second Surname) Write three chiffons instead (---)
Nombre : Christian Name (make sure to use same as in passport)
Fecha de Nacimiento: Date of birth (use two digits for day and month)
Lugar de nacimiento: Place of birth
Sexo : Gender “H” for Male (Hombre) and “M” Female (Mujer) . X cross the one applicable
Estado Civil: Status. S for single C for married. V for widow and D for divorced
País de nacimiento: Country of Birth
País de nacionalidad: Current Nationality
Nombre del padre: Father´s name
Nombre de la madre: Mother´s name
Domicilio en España: Address in Spain (if you have one, otherwise leave blank) - Localidad: Town, CP: Postcode, Provincia: Province

SECTION 2
Reasons for application:
Economic, Professional or Social (Tick professional for work reasons or social for house purchase)

3) DOMICILIO A EFECTOS DE NOTIFICACIONES
Leave blank

Sign the form at the bottom, under 'firma de solicitante'.

Complete the form and take it back to the National Police station, along with a photocopy. You also need to provide your original passport and a photocopy. That's it ! You will then be told to return in approx. 4 weeks time when your number will be ready to collect. You need this number to do anything fiscal in Spain such as open a bank account [this can also be done with your passport number].

Like 0      
15 Aug 2007 6:42 PM by valf Star rating in Dundee...Scotland. 62 posts Send private message

valf´s avatar

Hi Morerosado,

great info there on how to fill out forms.Do you know if I would need my 16yr old to fill out a form and also if retired persons also need one.

Many Thanks

Like 0      
15 Aug 2007 9:05 PM by loughdeab352 Star rating. 5 posts Send private message

Hi Morerosado

Thanks for all the advice and information - greatly appreciated

Naomi

Like 0      
15 Aug 2007 9:42 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Hi Val

From http://www.mazarron-turistica.com/index.php?action=questions

Questions about Spain

Q - What is a NIE number?

A - A NIE number is an identification number that everyone over the age of 14 needs. An application is made at your local police station. NIE numbers are widely used & you are commonly asked for them in shops, schools & doctors. You cannot purchase property in Spain without a NIE number.

I know a friend's daughter aged 12 starting Spanish senior school in Guardamar had to have a NIE as this has been discussed before. I was going to post the link for you but there's a problem with the server on EOS as I couldn't search for "NIE" which is what you should do.

Like 0      
16 Aug 2007 2:34 PM by valf Star rating in Dundee...Scotland. 62 posts Send private message

valf´s avatar

Hi Morerosado,

Thanks for all the info,it's very much appreciated.

Like 0      

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | ... | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

english reg car - 68 posts
How does a Community Work? - 177 posts
Motoring Organisations - 2 posts
Feliz Navidad - 2 posts
SuperiorworldWide ? - 1 posts
My pics - 2 posts
Is spain in france - 0 posts
INFO PLEASE - 0 posts
medication - 27 posts
angela G - 4 posts
Disablility in Torrevejeia - 0 posts
Spanish Inheritance Tax - 48 posts
Millennium Worldwide - 5 posts
EasyJet seats for summer 2007 are now being sold - 4 posts
WANTED TO RENT - 9 posts
Daily service from Gibraltar to Madrid - 0 posts
new town plan - 2 posts
Independent - 23 posts
Driving Licences - 26 posts
Electricians - 1 posts
Transporting goods to Spain - 13 posts
Skiing in Sierra Nevada - 13 posts
Electricity & Water Charges - 46 posts
Mirador Linked Villas - Fuente de Piedra - 2 posts
Buying and running a car in Spain - 21 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 139

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x