Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | ... |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
08 Aug 2009 10:44 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

09 Aug 2009 10:53 AM by Sanchez1 Star rating. 853 posts Send private message

Hi Jeff

You will need to get there before 8.00am to start queing to get a number.  There´s only 50 available.  The doors open at 9.00am, but if you leave it that late to turn up, you may not get a number.

You will need to take 2 completed NIE forms, a photocopy of your passport and your actual passport.  You will also need some kind of proof as to why you need the NIE.  For example, on the NIE form, I said I was living in Spain, so I brought my padron certificate as proof.  Hope this helps.

David

Read my blog: Spain Money Saving Tips and Offers 

Use TransferWise to send money abroad. A lot cheaper than the bank and other online currency exchanges!.

Like 0      
09 Aug 2009 4:09 PM by Forhotspot Star rating. 233 posts Send private message

Don't you need 1 or 2 passport sized photos too?

Like 0      
09 Aug 2009 4:13 PM by Sanchez1 Star rating. 853 posts Send private message

You don't need any passport photos to get your NIE in person at the police station. 

I think you only need photos if you are applying via the embassy or consulate in the UK.

David

Read my blog: Spain Money Saving Tips and Offers 

Use TransferWise to send money abroad. A lot cheaper than the bank and other online currency exchanges!.

Like 0      
09 Aug 2009 8:12 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Certainly at Elche police station in November 2004, when our agent took us up, we had to have passport sized photos. Agent asked us to bring three each, police station asked for only 1each if my memory serves me right. I seem to recall we only had 1each left from something else so we had to have more done then weren't asked for more than 1.

Like 0      
14 Aug 2009 9:06 AM by bakeja Star rating in Manilva. 49 posts Send private message

I did a NIE application for someone recently and there were definitely no fotos involved.  The only problem we had was in putting down the reason for the application.  Apparently something vague and unsupported by documentation (like "to open a bank account") is not satisfactory.  We ended up copying his rental lease and taking this along.

Advoco Law & Accountancy

Latest article: Guide to Spain's Autonomo System

Like 0      
14 Aug 2009 3:37 PM by Pitby Star rating in Andalucía. 1904 posts Send private message

Pitby´s avatar

Our lawyer obtained our NIE numbers for us and definitely did not require photos - and that was Estepona police station also.

Like 0      
12 Oct 2009 4:13 PM by myra cecilia Star rating in Manilva Malaga. 213 posts Send private message

For anyone it may assist. The system has totally changed. You do not need photographs for either your NIE or residencia. In fact for the residencia you now (and only recently changed) only need, passport, photocopy of the same and a form to pay the tax. If you have a lawyer to go to the trouble to obtain this for you, be prepared to pay his or her fee. You should ask for the cost of this before you go ahead. The reason that you do not need photos for the residencia is that the new residencia is unfortunately no the card but a A4 green paper. You now need to carry your passport or I beleive a Spanish driving licence will do as the new resident paper will state that the residencia is not proof of identity. I have to add. Do not be surprised if when trying to obtain residencia, nie or registering on the padron you meet with some confusion from the authorities.

Myra Cecilia. www.costaadvicebureau.com

Like 0      
21 Oct 2009 9:29 AM by bakeja Star rating in Manilva. 49 posts Send private message

If you already have a NIE and apply for a residency certificate you also need to take your NIE with you.  If you If you are applying for NIE/Residency together I believe it is just the passport (and copy) you need.

Advoco Law & Accountancy

Like 0      
21 Oct 2009 4:35 PM by myra cecilia Star rating in Manilva Malaga. 213 posts Send private message

Hello Bakeba. Our clients go with just the passport and photocopy. The NIE if they have one, is already on the police system and comes up automatically. I do understand the confusion but what I am saying is tried and tested. May I add that my clients save the expense and make the application ( with our guidance ) themselves. I appreciate any suggestions but do realize that there will be a lot of companies out there that will not like the information I give. It saves residents and non residents alike time and money. I would like to further add that I write an informative monthly column in The Resident Newspapers to assist the expat community.

This message was last edited by myra cecilia on 21/10/2009.

Like 0      
21 Oct 2009 5:26 PM by Pitby Star rating in Andalucía. 1904 posts Send private message

Pitby´s avatar

We have just completed our residency process and, reading your post, Myra, I wondered what would happen if you didn't take your NIE with you when applying for your residency if your passport had been renewed since the date of obtaining your NIE?  It's just an observation as my passport was renewed this year and if I had turned up with my residency application in hand with only my passport, how would they have retrieved my NIE details?

Just a thought as it  made me think.

Like 0      
21 Oct 2009 5:56 PM by myra cecilia Star rating in Manilva Malaga. 213 posts Send private message

Pitby. That is a very good thought. The system in Spain as you are obviously  aware  gives its residents a number for life. Where as our passport numbers change (strange that) But saying that the last residencia applied for just two weeks ago. where the holder had a new passport ( which I had renewed for him) different number and..... They gave him his residencia which had the original NIE which he had forgotton. Big brother??? Yet on the same token, dealing with the utilities and phone companies who will not recognise a new passport number but want you to provide the original with which you took out the contract. Getting dizzy and you. Thanks for posting that one. It has given me another article topic for when I have to meet the November deadline.

Like 0      
21 Oct 2009 6:02 PM by myra cecilia Star rating in Manilva Malaga. 213 posts Send private message

Please more great thoughts like Pitsby. You guys could make my life easier when I have to think of what to write each month for a newspaper.  I usually try to cover four or five topics. I am serious but no renumeration. I dont get paid.

Like 0      
21 Oct 2009 6:03 PM by Pitby Star rating in Andalucía. 1904 posts Send private message

Pitby´s avatar

That is interesting, Myra.  I asked because, whereas your client had their passport renewed here in Spain (I believe, from your post), my passport was renewed in the UAE, at the British Embassy.  So I don't think there would be a chance of it being in the system in Spain at all?

Like 0      
21 Oct 2009 6:08 PM by myra cecilia Star rating in Manilva Malaga. 213 posts Send private message

Pitsby. I think that was a trick question and on purpose. I do not know if they contacted the Embassy in Madrid to see if he was one and the same. I guess they connected name, date and place of birth. But I could ask our friendly (sometimes) immigration department of the policia national or do you have the time to do this?

Like 0      
21 Oct 2009 6:11 PM by myra cecilia Star rating in Manilva Malaga. 213 posts Send private message

Pitsby. Do you know how the hell I can set up my TDT I have no tele and need to get off the computer. For anyone else this has nothing to do with a NIE

Like 0      
21 Oct 2009 6:18 PM by Pitby Star rating in Andalucía. 1904 posts Send private message

Pitby´s avatar

Myra, what's a TDT?

Honestly, it wasn't a trick question!  I suppose it was fresh on my mind, because when I was here in the summer, I took my new passport into the bank (as I usually use that to access my account) and realised that the number had obviously changed and they didn't have it on the system!

Like 0      
21 Oct 2009 6:23 PM by myra cecilia Star rating in Manilva Malaga. 213 posts Send private message

Pitsby. The trick question was a joke. TDT this silly thing I have to fix to my tele as we are now digital. I have it all connected but I have pressed wrong buttons typical of me. Hey I had better stop`as this is the NIE thread. I may get my fingers rapped. We will have to start a Serious but Silly Thread.

Like 0      
22 Oct 2009 7:43 AM by bakeja Star rating in Manilva. 49 posts Send private message

TDT - don't you just plug the aerial lead into the back of the TDT box and connect a scart lead from the TV to the box?  Why isn't it working?

On the subject of residency again, regardless of whether or not to take the NIE along to do it, it has got a lot easier and more relaxed since the cards were abolished.  Some companies still talk about endless forms and "queueing for hours in the heat" but they are just exaggerating to sell their overpriced assistance.  However some people like to have someone alongside who knows about the queuing system, the opening hours, filling in the forms, paying the fee etc.

Advoco Law & Accountancy

Like 0      

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | ... |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

english reg car - 68 posts
How does a Community Work? - 177 posts
Motoring Organisations - 2 posts
Feliz Navidad - 2 posts
SuperiorworldWide ? - 1 posts
My pics - 2 posts
Is spain in france - 0 posts
INFO PLEASE - 0 posts
medication - 27 posts
angela G - 4 posts
Disablility in Torrevejeia - 0 posts
Spanish Inheritance Tax - 48 posts
Millennium Worldwide - 5 posts
EasyJet seats for summer 2007 are now being sold - 4 posts
WANTED TO RENT - 9 posts
Daily service from Gibraltar to Madrid - 0 posts
new town plan - 2 posts
Independent - 23 posts
Driving Licences - 26 posts
Electricians - 1 posts
Transporting goods to Spain - 13 posts
Skiing in Sierra Nevada - 13 posts
Electricity & Water Charges - 46 posts
Mirador Linked Villas - Fuente de Piedra - 2 posts
Buying and running a car in Spain - 21 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 139

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x