angela G

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
29 Nov 2006 12:00 AM by angie gibson Star rating. 1 posts Send private message

I am in the process of finding a Spanish Lawyer.  Yes I stupidly agreed to go with the advice from the agent to go the developers lawyers.  I have since found out by calling into a Lawyers office in Majacar and getting a estimate that the lawyer is over charging me.  I dont understand how the notary fee can vary from 400.00 eur to 800.00.  The Land registry from 400.00 to 600.00 eur.  N.I.E number from 80.00 to what I paid 150.00.

I have been recommended other Lawyers by various people from my bank manager to people I have met in the same area I am purchasing and have now completed.

Is there any advice you can give me.  I am purchasing in Palomaras near Vera.

Thankyou.

Like 0      
29 Nov 2006 4:20 PM by DaveAilsa Star rating in Tallentire, UK, Los .... 101 posts Send private message

Hi Angie,
We are buying in Huerta Nueva urbanisation, Los Gallardos and we are using a Spanish solicitor who is resident in London.
He is Javier de Juan :

Javier de Juan Spanish Solicitors
36 Greyhound Road
London  W6 8NX
tel. 0207 381 0470
fax. 0207 381 4155
email: london@spanishlaw.org.uk
www.spanishlaw.org.uk

So far we are happy with him - he has connections out in the area we are buying and goes out there regularly himself. His charges are £1500+VAT  (£1000 upfront and the rest on completion. He is also going to help with setting up Spanish wills and insurance.

I am surprised how much you had to pay for your NIE (150 euros ?). We paid around £22 when we applied through the Spanish Consulate in London.

Dave

Like 0      
29 Nov 2006 9:48 PM by Smiley Star rating in San Pedro de Alcanta.... 2502 posts Send private message

Smiley´s avatar

Hi Dave lawyers in Spain charge for taking clients to the police station or going on a clients behalf. I have known lawyers charge as much as 300€ for getting the NIE. They are issued free if you get them here (someone tell the UK Government and their ID card proposal) in person at the police station. The charge you incurred was a handling charge by the consulate for fowarding the application on your behalf - still a great deal cheaper than a lot of lawyers.

Angie, a client of mine has used Javier de Juan and no complaints. Be careful however if you do use a lawyer based in the UK. Ensure that they are handling everything in person as some of them liaise with a lawyer in Spain and you get charged double fees when all they are really doing is acting as a post office. Whoever you deal with, find out exactly how they work and get a firm quote on all costs - such as setting up utilities contracts etc.

If you want one based in Spain send a message to Spanish Inquisition on this site. Speaks excellent English, independent, charges very fairly, qualified lawyer (not all of them are) and member of the Law Society of Spain. 

Rgds

Smiley - patrick@marbellamortgages.com  www.marbellamortgages.com   www.comparetravelcash.co.uk

Like 0      
07 Dec 2006 3:47 PM by ldkelly Star rating. 8 posts Send private message

Maybe I am totally naieve but I thought the Notary and NIE was a set charge or a percentage of the purchase price, am i wrong?  What should I expect to pay?

Like 0      
07 Dec 2006 6:40 PM by Smiley Star rating in San Pedro de Alcanta.... 2502 posts Send private message

Smiley´s avatar

The NIE is free - if you apply in Spain in person at the National Police Station in the area where you are staying all it costs you is your time. This can be considerable depending on where you apply. Marbella for example opens its doors at 9am but unless you are in the queue by about 8AM you will very likely not be seen until 1pm. The department closes at 2pm so one can find that they have queued for a few hours for no reason.

If you want a lawyer to get the NIE for you this they can do by Power of Attorney but understandably they will charge for it - each lawyer's fees vary. If you go to one of the UK Spanish Consulates you can apply there but depends on convenience for you. There is a handling charge of about £30 I think - check out the NIE threads. Clients of mine have had bad experiences with this but apparently the system is now working.

Notary fees relate to three things depending on what you are buying. If it is a resale with an existing mortgage there are Notary charges for cancelling the previous mortgage, there are also Notary fees relating to the property purchase and registration, if you are buying on a mortgage there will be Notary fees relating to the registration of the mortgage.

What you should expect to pay depends very much on what you are buying and how you are buying it so too general a question to answer.

Notaries are the wealthiest people in Spain. A poor one earns in excess of 1,000,000€ a year and that is without the under the table deals that get put their way. Such as bank repossessions and goods seized by the State under proceeds of crime etc. Little bit like a liquidator or receiver they are there to disperse goods and chattels.

Rgds

Smiley - patrick@marbellamortgages.com  www.marbellamortgages.com   www.comparetravelcash.co.uk

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Disablility in Torrevejeia - 0 posts
Spanish Inheritance Tax - 48 posts
Millennium Worldwide - 5 posts
EasyJet seats for summer 2007 are now being sold - 4 posts
WANTED TO RENT - 9 posts
Daily service from Gibraltar to Madrid - 0 posts
new town plan - 2 posts
Independent - 23 posts
Driving Licences - 26 posts
Electricians - 1 posts
Transporting goods to Spain - 13 posts
Skiing in Sierra Nevada - 13 posts
Electricity & Water Charges - 46 posts
Mirador Linked Villas - Fuente de Piedra - 2 posts
Buying and running a car in Spain - 21 posts
long term car rental - 3 posts
New Photos from Daniela - 0 posts
hotels that allow dogs - 3 posts
Want to get online? - 13 posts
Friendly Forum - La Maina Urb & Costa Blanca - 1 posts
Choose your removal company wisely - 4 posts
Entertainment - 1 posts
Wood burning stove ,costa del sol - 6 posts
Completion Of Bosque de las Lomas 3 - 2 posts
Best mortgage deal ? - 45 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 5

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x