speed cameras

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
04 Jul 2013 5:11 PM by GuyT Star rating. 511 posts Send private message

Stranded here in wet Wales for a while, hence the spurt of activity. I was reading the English version of El Pais today, and there's an interesting article on satnavs, including info that Spain's Highway Agency (DGT) has "created its own application — available for both iPhone and Android — to help motorists plan their routes and keep them informed about traffic incidents, speed cameras and weather conditions."

I've read posts on EOS saying that satnavs with speed camera info are illegal.

http://elpais.com/elpais/2013/07/03/inenglish/1372859687_681157.html

Like 0      
04 Jul 2013 5:41 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

GuyT

I think you may have misunderstood the article it says, "

When you press the screen, the system memorizes the position of the trap and sends the information to all other road users in the area. The application's maker warns users that they should "check current legislation in the country where you want to use it." In Spain it is forbidden to drive while manually using cellphones, navigation systems or other communications devices.

I am 99.9% certain it is illegal in Spain to use any system which warns of speed cameras, traps  etc.

This message was last edited by johnzx on 04/07/2013.

Like 0      
04 Jul 2013 6:19 PM by mobailey Star rating in San Cayetano. 461 posts Send private message

mobailey´s avatar

Interestingly my Sat Nav when used in the UK the week before last warned us when approaching a speed camera but on return to Spain this warning does not work here.  We have noticed this before so know it is not a problem with the tom tom, it may well be that this part  it is programmed not to work here?????????????

Mo&Bryan www.bryansblinds.com &  www.discovercostacalida.info Why not see if can we help  

Like 0      
04 Jul 2013 7:01 PM by GuyT Star rating. 511 posts Send private message

John, I misunderstood nothing. I simply noted that "Spain's Highway Agency (DGT) has created its own application — available for both iPhone and Android — to help motorists plan their routes and keep them informed about traffic incidents, speed cameras and weather conditions." Nothing to do with the Wikango, from whose description at the bottom of the page you culled your quote. I didn't even read that far.

Like 0      
04 Jul 2013 7:11 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Guy,   apologises if I misunderstood your post. 

However, I did quote from the post which showed. 

I did not a mention that the newspaper article you relied upon could well have  been wrong,  

As everyone will know, “ Reading it in the press only means for sure that  it was printed, not that it is true.”

But, I cannot believe DGT would be encouraging people to break law. 

Like 0      
04 Jul 2013 8:02 PM by guslopez Star rating in Lorca, Murcia.. 745 posts Send private message

I don 't think it can be illegal as the DGT publish where all the speed cameras are & the speed at which they are triggered.

Always seemed a bit nonsensical to me as when they put the one in 80m before the Lorca tunnels it was set to be triggered at 141kmh. The tunnel limit is 80kph.You'd have a job dragging off 60kph in 80m !!

Todos somos Lorca.

Like 0      
18 Jul 2013 6:08 PM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar
There's a difference between fixed speed cameras, which show up on satnav, and mobile speed traps which are detected by radar scanners. If the satnav advice is illegal, then I've just bought an illegal car in Spain as it has one fitted. Now, a radar scanner is illegal throughout Europe including the UK.
Bit like the advice a while back saying all cars must carry a spare wheel. Out of 5 dealers we went to only one make of car had a spare wheel, all the rest had the puncture repair kits and no spare wheel.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

In Spain, do uninhabitable properties still have to pay the community charge? - 3 posts
Recommendations for places to stay in Northern Spain - 4 posts
where to buy beds Costa del Sol - 0 posts
price of survey of property that's under legal administration - 1 posts
energy certificate - 1 posts
Regency snooker La Nucia - 0 posts
YOU CAN'T FIX STUPID - 7 posts
AM I MISSING SOMETHING? - 2 posts
Gesa endesa number urgently required to call from uk - 8 posts
Los Alcazares Furniture recommendation please - 13 posts
Mortgage Protection Insurance - 7 posts
Burglaries-is gassing a myth? - 14 posts
RECOVERED FUNDS TERCIA REAL - 0 posts
Pickie Eaters Dilemma - 13 posts
Calais to Andalusia - 8 posts
Just purchased in Los Alcazares, a couple of questions - 0 posts
Stopping people from voting by including special payment on community fees. - 2 posts
are verbal agreements legally binding in Spain - 0 posts
Retiring to Spain - or somewhere. - 11 posts
Killer Deposits Keep Rentals Empty - 20 posts
speed cameras on N332 - 0 posts
tenant from hell - 0 posts
Travel to Russia - 4 posts
SAN JAVIER JAZZ FESTIVAL - 0 posts
PERFECT PUT DOWNS - 5 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 8

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x