In Spain, do uninhabitable properties still have to pay the community charge?

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
04 Jul 2013 8:56 AM by meb Star rating. 4 posts Send private message

In the UK, if a property designed to be a dwelling (i.e. where the primary purpose of the property is for habitation) is deemed uninhabitable then it can be excluded from having a ratreable value and hence is exempt from paying council tax.

The definition of "uninhabitable" varies across councils but the general theme is

• a property in which there is no, or minimal furniture; and in particular there is no furniture suitable for sleeping on (for example bed, sofa, futon, mattress...)
  • the propoerty is structurally damaged to such an extent that it would be dangerous or unhealthy to live there

I have a property in Spain that has no furniture and was so badly built that there is rising damp up to over a metre throughout all the walls (internal and external).  The terraces slope towards the property so that all the rainwater flows towards the house.  There are gaps around the door cills and in the marble terracing so that the rainwater just soaks into thesand base under the marble floor inside the property.  It is the only penthouse appartment that I know of with rising damp!

What is the situation in Spain for uninhabitable properties and the community charge?

Please note that this question does not relate to unoccupied properties which are still subject to the community charge.

Like 0      
04 Jul 2013 9:59 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

What is the situation in Spain for uninhabitable properties and the community charge?

I don't know about the town hall charges (IBI etc) but the community charge must be paid on a completed property.   I would assume that if a property has a first occupancy cert then the IBI etc must be paid too.

In UK an property occupied by one person I believe pays one council tax (IBI) an unoccupied property, after 3 months, pay for two 'occupants'.

Like 0      
04 Jul 2013 3:39 PM by nitram Star rating in castalla. 175 posts Send private message

You own a property, live in it or not you are still liable for community fees

Like 0      
04 Jul 2013 4:03 PM by davmunster Star rating in Carvajal\Belfast. 843 posts Send private message

davmunster´s avatar

IBI and non resident's tax is payable on any property whether habitable or not - they are even payable on a vacant building plot.

Community Fees are payable on all properties within the community from the time the community is formed regardless of whether they are occupied or habitable. It would take an amendment in the community statues to change this - which would require a unanimous vote in favour at a community meeting. This is unlikely to be acheivable as the rest of the owners would have to pay more to make up the shortfall

David

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Recommendations for places to stay in Northern Spain - 4 posts
where to buy beds Costa del Sol - 0 posts
price of survey of property that's under legal administration - 1 posts
energy certificate - 1 posts
Regency snooker La Nucia - 0 posts
YOU CAN'T FIX STUPID - 7 posts
AM I MISSING SOMETHING? - 2 posts
Gesa endesa number urgently required to call from uk - 8 posts
Los Alcazares Furniture recommendation please - 13 posts
Mortgage Protection Insurance - 7 posts
Burglaries-is gassing a myth? - 14 posts
RECOVERED FUNDS TERCIA REAL - 0 posts
Pickie Eaters Dilemma - 13 posts
Calais to Andalusia - 8 posts
Just purchased in Los Alcazares, a couple of questions - 0 posts
Stopping people from voting by including special payment on community fees. - 2 posts
are verbal agreements legally binding in Spain - 0 posts
Retiring to Spain - or somewhere. - 11 posts
Killer Deposits Keep Rentals Empty - 20 posts
speed cameras on N332 - 0 posts
tenant from hell - 0 posts
Travel to Russia - 4 posts
SAN JAVIER JAZZ FESTIVAL - 0 posts
PERFECT PUT DOWNS - 5 posts
Oval Racing - something different for Saturday night - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 4

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x