Pickie Eaters Dilemma

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
01 Jul 2013 7:00 AM by mike_walsh Star rating in Torrevieja. 594 posts Send private message

mike_walsh´s avatar

Friends are soon to join us, a charming couple. It is a dilemma for someone who eats normally, our friend’s wife has a very strict eating regime. A first visit to Spain she is ultra pickie and has very little to eat by health preference.

I see no reason to conform by ordering for her expensive restaurant 3-course meals, most of which will remain untouched. Will likely explain to the waiter as I am sure it won’t be their first such query.  

I am just wondering how others approach the issue. Split meals or just one meal… something different chosen off the menu, just the starter perhaps?

Russian - English Translations, Copywriting and Ghostwiting. Check my Website or email keyboardcosmetics@gmail.com for details

www.keyboardcosmetics.com

Like 1      
01 Jul 2013 12:01 PM by eos_ian Star rating in Valencia. 506 posts Send private message

eos_ian´s avatar

What does she eat?

Most restaurants would be happy to modify a menu if you say she has an allergy to something, that always works... if you say she doesn't like it they'll probably say sorry that's what there is today... if she's not a big eater I often just order two starters instead of a starter and a main meal if I'm not that hungry...

Ian :   EOS TEAM MEMBER 

www.eyeonspain.com/blogs/ianandspain.aspx

Like 0      
01 Jul 2013 12:37 PM by mike_walsh Star rating in Torrevieja. 594 posts Send private message

mike_walsh´s avatar

This pickie  (smile)

I usually eat two times a day.  Morning breakfast and then  lunch in the afternoon from 1pm  to 6 pm.
Usually in the evening I can drink tea or eat fruit - apple, apricot, cherry.
for lunch I eat porridge with a salad, (but without mayonnaise).
My portion of 100 grams of porridge ( or fish or meat) + 100 or 150 grams of salad.
For me, it is desirable not to eat too much, because I would have problems with my stomach.
I am writing this because you're ordering your menu for us.

Russian - English Translations, Copywriting and Ghostwiting. Check my Website or email keyboardcosmetics@gmail.com for details

Like 0      
01 Jul 2013 2:43 PM by OMARELL Star rating in Baldock Hertfordshir.... 47 posts Send private message

I am a pickie eater due to type 2 diabetes. I dont like eating out because restaurants mainly serve food full of sugars and fats. If she just sticks to salads I'm sure she can cope 

Like 0      
01 Jul 2013 5:34 PM by sandra Star rating in . 812 posts Send private message

sandra´s avatar

I must try porridge followed by a salad  for lunch.

I wonder, does she make her porridge with water or milk or half and half ? Does she have it with Lyles Golden Syrup or sugar or,  as in Scotland,  with salt.? Does she have a kipper salad to follow or does she prefer pickled herring? You are certainly going to have your work cut out feeding this guest. Good luck.

Just to add. I read this three times before I realised that it read 'Pickie' eater. I thought it said 'PICKLE' eater.

Like 0      
01 Jul 2013 5:44 PM by eos_ian Star rating in Valencia. 506 posts Send private message

eos_ian´s avatar

She sounds like my Mum, like Omarell she is diabetic and has to really watch her sugar levels so eating anywhere is a problem.

However a small fillet of fish and a small salad should be fine and I think any restaurant can sort that out. If you give them a good enough reason they'll even sort it out with a smile. 

Sandra, I have my porridge with salt, wouldn't have it any other way! :)

Ian :   EOS TEAM MEMBER 

www.eyeonspain.com/blogs/ianandspain.aspx

Like 0      
01 Jul 2013 6:07 PM by mike_walsh Star rating in Torrevieja. 594 posts Send private message

mike_walsh´s avatar

Ha Ha! The best of posts; informative and amusing, interesting and understanding. I should have labelled it ‘fussy eater’. Porridge? I am a fan but like Ian, water and salt (despite the blood pressure) hazards. I just wish the lady would eat a full plate of steak and chips. Slim? I have seen more meat on a butcher’s pencil than on her . . . and she worries about her weight! Oh well, thanks for ………….. Dare I say it? Feedback?

Like 0      
01 Jul 2013 6:30 PM by mac75 Star rating in Valencia. 414 posts Send private message

mac75´s avatar

:)  Sounds like you have a dilemma on your hands Mike......... but at least the remedy won't break the bank! 

Just imagine it was the other way round you might have a serious problem on your hands.....

"I eat five times a day, must have fresh organic fruit, kobe beef and fresh seafood (never frozen) everyday otherwise I'm just not myself... (seafood could be substituted for Sushi, if it is fresh) and of course all that must be followed with champagne...not sparkling wine"

I would thank your lucky stars you're getting away with such a "light" meal  !!! :)

I've seen fussy eaters in my time but your guest takes the biscuit LOL  I assume it is not just a weight issue but she must have some health disorder.... by the sound of it her stomach's not used to solids : tea, porridge, leaves,fruit ..... So whenever she eats something outside her diet it must be like digesting a brick.

May I suggest a bowl of Gazpacho and a slice of bread:  cheap, easy to weigh and just what the doctor ordered, but with a Spanish touch! 

A donde el corazón se inclina, el pie camina.

Like 0      
01 Jul 2013 8:06 PM by xetog Star rating in Wiltshire/holiday ap.... 514 posts Send private message

And people call me a fussy eater, just because I don't usually eat meat!!!

Just a thought, Mike. If she eats porridge at lunch, what does she eat for breakfast?

G

Like 0      
01 Jul 2013 8:28 PM by mike_walsh Star rating in Torrevieja. 594 posts Send private message

mike_walsh´s avatar

Here’s me thinking our upper storey plumbing was all the same. I shall treat my food processing plant in future with more respect. I have a slight pot but this is the for same reason a camel has a hump. It is natures way of getting me through the famines. Don’t mock, anything is possible. Breakfast? Yes, low maintenance indeed as for breakfast one Weetabix is fine so I must get some in. Her energy is phenomenal so it shows just how little fuel the body actually needs

Like 0      
02 Jul 2013 7:04 PM by Febe Star rating in Flix, on river Ebro,.... 240 posts Send private message

Hi,

Having a fussy 14 year old (though having said that, he will eat any kind of fish, how ever it comes. Eye balls and teeth are considered  a bonus!)

I suggest you get your friend to take a look at the dishes being served to other tables. She may see some thing that takes her fancy.

Keep having fun.

Febe

No matter where you go, there you are.

Like 0      
18 Dec 2013 3:16 PM by Bookerhall Star rating in Mojon Hills. 27 posts Send private message

Just read you amusing thread. How did things go?

Like 0      
18 Dec 2013 3:38 PM by mike_walsh Star rating in Torrevieja. 594 posts Send private message

mike_walsh´s avatar

Problem solved; she was not really interested in dining out. And, the lady’s appetite was not as pickie as had been made out. I think she was setting up her defences at the thought of being persuaded to go native. How much Serrano ham and other stuff can you stand? On an end, note, her appetite was better than mine. She complained that she had put on weight. Women!

Like 0      
18 Dec 2013 4:52 PM by Bookerhall Star rating in Mojon Hills. 27 posts Send private message

Great news. Merry Christmas.

Like 1      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Calais to Andalusia - 8 posts
Just purchased in Los Alcazares, a couple of questions - 0 posts
Stopping people from voting by including special payment on community fees. - 2 posts
are verbal agreements legally binding in Spain - 0 posts
Retiring to Spain - or somewhere. - 11 posts
Killer Deposits Keep Rentals Empty - 20 posts
speed cameras on N332 - 0 posts
tenant from hell - 0 posts
Travel to Russia - 4 posts
SAN JAVIER JAZZ FESTIVAL - 0 posts
PERFECT PUT DOWNS - 5 posts
Oval Racing - something different for Saturday night - 0 posts
Dangerous dogs - 15 posts
Unwanted cold calls - 12 posts
What details needed for Tax Return non resident ! - 14 posts
Divorce on the horizon for troika - 0 posts
Hello everyone - 0 posts
Winter Fuel Allowance - 269 posts
Bad management or just a total rip off! - 7 posts
UK Non resident Ltd - a better solution? - 0 posts
A good gestoria - 4 posts
Portugals Police BINGOING Mad... - 5 posts
Moving On - 7 posts
We are in the UK and our bank doesn't respond - 9 posts
Investors Chronicle article on retiring abroad - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 14

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x