Mortgage Protection Insurance

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
02 Jul 2013 5:19 PM by Jarvi Star rating in Halifax UK and Sucin.... 757 posts Send private message

I took out a Spanish mortgage in 2009. One of the conditions was to take the Bank's mortgage protection insurance. That seemed ok except, it has gone from 60 euros a month in 2009  to 85 euros a month this year. I believe it is not a legal requirement, but the bank's policy to have this. I can get the same amount of cover myself for around 25 euros a month. Any useful advice would be greatly appreciated.

Like 0      
03 Jul 2013 1:03 PM by Jarvi Star rating in Halifax UK and Sucin.... 757 posts Send private message

Any ideas folks?

Like 0      
03 Jul 2013 1:04 PM by Jarvi Star rating in Halifax UK and Sucin.... 757 posts Send private message

Any ideas folks?

Like 0      
03 Jul 2013 3:30 PM by claire T Star rating in Torremendo, Orihuela. 688 posts Send private message

EOS Supporter

Hi Jarvi - I doubt that it is actually legally required so you should ask the bank about cancelling it.  You may find however that the interest rate is dependant on you buying this second product from them, and your payments may then rise.  If it was me, I would ask the bank direct.

Like 0      
03 Jul 2013 4:40 PM by Jarvi Star rating in Halifax UK and Sucin.... 757 posts Send private message

Thanks Clair,

I will ask them.

85 euros a month adds up to over 1000 euros a year, so even if the interest is higher I don't think it would be anything like that amount.

Like 0      
03 Jul 2013 5:51 PM by acer Star rating. 1528 posts Send private message

Hi Jarvi,

It does seem very odd. 

In my experience the premium for Mortgage  Protection Insurance should be static - I've never heard of one that increases. 

If you have a repayment mortgage (ie where the amount owed gradually decreases) this is even more absurd.  

If the mortgage is "interest only" it makes a bit more sense, but it's not the way it's done in the UK.

I suggest you have a close look at the mortgage quotation and offer letter they will have given you.  Did they state the premium, implying that it was static, or was there any indication that it would increase?  To me that is the starting point.  Then possibly speak to another bank and obtain a quote from them and ask the question as to whether or not their premium increases.  To me this is weird and illogical, but it would be good to know if it is customary in Spain, the two are not mutually exclusive.

I would probably be more demanding than Claire T, but it does no harm to try and settle it amicably first.

Like 0      
03 Jul 2013 6:18 PM by Jarvi Star rating in Halifax UK and Sucin.... 757 posts Send private message

Thanks Acer.

I will get the documents together and check. My mortgage is a repayment, and as you rightly point out the balance owing decreases year on year, therefore the amount they would pay out in the event of my demise would be less.

Like 0      
07 Jul 2013 1:39 PM by Jarvi Star rating in Halifax UK and Sucin.... 757 posts Send private message

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Burglaries-is gassing a myth? - 14 posts
RECOVERED FUNDS TERCIA REAL - 0 posts
Pickie Eaters Dilemma - 13 posts
Calais to Andalusia - 8 posts
Just purchased in Los Alcazares, a couple of questions - 0 posts
Stopping people from voting by including special payment on community fees. - 2 posts
are verbal agreements legally binding in Spain - 0 posts
Retiring to Spain - or somewhere. - 11 posts
Killer Deposits Keep Rentals Empty - 20 posts
speed cameras on N332 - 0 posts
tenant from hell - 0 posts
Travel to Russia - 4 posts
SAN JAVIER JAZZ FESTIVAL - 0 posts
PERFECT PUT DOWNS - 5 posts
Oval Racing - something different for Saturday night - 0 posts
Dangerous dogs - 15 posts
Unwanted cold calls - 12 posts
What details needed for Tax Return non resident ! - 14 posts
Divorce on the horizon for troika - 0 posts
Hello everyone - 0 posts
Winter Fuel Allowance - 269 posts
Bad management or just a total rip off! - 7 posts
UK Non resident Ltd - a better solution? - 0 posts
A good gestoria - 4 posts
Portugals Police BINGOING Mad... - 5 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 8

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x