Calais to Andalusia

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
01 Jul 2013 2:49 AM by STEVEE Star rating in Urcal. 30 posts Send private message

Hi , I was trying to avoid this drive but the ferries to the north are full, has any one any tips ? Places to stay a night or avoid ? How much are the tolls ?
Any advice welcome

Regards
Stevee

This message was last edited by STEVEE on 01/07/2013.

Like 0      
01 Jul 2013 7:57 AM by sterling Star rating in Kent & Partaloa, Alm.... 206 posts Send private message

Morning,

We drive from Dover to Almeria and have done for many years.. From door to door for us is 1600 miles. It is an easy and enjoyable drive. We get the earliest ferry possible in the morning at the weekend. we take a cheap one way because we are never sure when we are going to return and just book the return online where you can always get a deal.

Sometimes we stay over night at the boarder and crack on early morning as Spain is the shortest drive. But we have also driven straight from Dover to Almeria without an overnight stop. Just short breaks now and then. We avoid the tolls mostly as at the weekend the A roads are fine. If we do encounter a bit of traffic we jump on the motorways and the tolls are reasonable.

We have tried several different routes on the way down basically down to Montpelier and turn right ! Or the Somfort tunnel that's also a good route. Where are you leaving from?

Like 0      
01 Jul 2013 7:59 AM by sterling Star rating in Kent & Partaloa, Alm.... 206 posts Send private message

Staying over night in France in cheap we always go to the B&B chain of hotels or similar, clean fresh and about 40 euro for a double room with en-suite.

Like 0      
01 Jul 2013 8:18 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

From door to door for us is 1600 miles.

Sterling,    I think that is Kilometres unless to really take the 'scenic route'  (1,000 miles)

I used to drive, without stops, to Malaga from Caen in 24 hours, stops for fuel and coffee only and avoiding all toll roads. But not recommended. That's 1,200 miles ( 2,000 KM)

This message was last edited by johnzx on 01/07/2013.

Like 0      
01 Jul 2013 10:15 AM by STEVEE Star rating in Urcal. 30 posts Send private message

Hi tomtom says 1180 miles Calais to Vera in almaria, we then have 250 miles in the uk , was thinking of using Chunnel then going via Madrid not down the AP 7 .

Would like a overnight somewhere ?

Stevee

Like 0      
01 Jul 2013 10:51 AM by gerrryuk Star rating in Mezquitilla, near To.... 179 posts Send private message

gerrryuk´s avatar

I did it a from Le Havre to Malaga a couple of months ago, twice.

The first time I used the tolls & it cost about €250 & took me 21 hours without a stop except for comfort breaks & short naps.

The second time by not using the tolls with the same breaks took me a little longer, 24 hours but saved the costs. 

But try to travel in the light, not so tiring as travelling at night. Use all the daylight.

Like 0      
01 Jul 2013 3:28 PM by STEVEE Star rating in Urcal. 30 posts Send private message

Thanks all , looks lie ill keep off the tolls and spend on a room for the night , mmmm are the car parks any more of a rik in France than ours ?

Stevee

Like 0      
01 Jul 2013 4:25 PM by gerrryuk Star rating in Mezquitilla, near To.... 179 posts Send private message

gerrryuk´s avatar

I have found the cars parks quite safe as long as nothing of value is on view.

Like 0      
01 Jul 2013 6:04 PM by sterling Star rating in Kent & Partaloa, Alm.... 206 posts Send private message

18-24 hours non stop that includes a couple of rest times and a coffee ..Overnight stop and dinner 36 hours..

Easy Peazy

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Just purchased in Los Alcazares, a couple of questions - 0 posts
Stopping people from voting by including special payment on community fees. - 2 posts
are verbal agreements legally binding in Spain - 0 posts
Retiring to Spain - or somewhere. - 11 posts
Killer Deposits Keep Rentals Empty - 20 posts
speed cameras on N332 - 0 posts
tenant from hell - 0 posts
Travel to Russia - 4 posts
SAN JAVIER JAZZ FESTIVAL - 0 posts
PERFECT PUT DOWNS - 5 posts
Oval Racing - something different for Saturday night - 0 posts
Dangerous dogs - 15 posts
Unwanted cold calls - 12 posts
What details needed for Tax Return non resident ! - 14 posts
Divorce on the horizon for troika - 0 posts
Hello everyone - 0 posts
Winter Fuel Allowance - 269 posts
Bad management or just a total rip off! - 7 posts
UK Non resident Ltd - a better solution? - 0 posts
A good gestoria - 4 posts
Portugals Police BINGOING Mad... - 5 posts
Moving On - 7 posts
We are in the UK and our bank doesn't respond - 9 posts
Investors Chronicle article on retiring abroad - 0 posts
Mosquito Traps? - 6 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 9

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x