YOU CAN'T FIX STUPID

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
03 Jul 2013 7:51 AM by mike_walsh Star rating in Torrevieja. 594 posts Send private message

mike_walsh´s avatar

Spain’s toll roads are deserted. Those mismanaging them see their corporate responsibilities going to the wall. There is a considerable drop in traffic as a consequence of the recession. Then of course, having to be careful with their money, most drivers are choosing toll free alternatives. So what does Ferroviel do? They hike the prices for the tourist season. Duh! Why are so many quasi-commercial bodies, AENA being another one of them, clueless at marketing?

Russian - English Translations, Copywriting and Ghostwiting. Check my Website or email keyboardcosmetics@gmail.com for details

www.keyboardcosmetics.com

Like 0      
03 Jul 2013 9:28 AM by Fighter2 Star rating. 237 posts Send private message

Ferrovial have nothing to do with the pricing of Toll Roads Mike, they built many if not all of them but they are operated by totally different companies.

That said the principal of what you said re pricing and marketing is correct, Spanish businesses (in the main) have not a clue !!

Barry

Like 0      
03 Jul 2013 9:54 AM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar

Like owners of commercial centres.  A restaurant (for example) just about breaks even.  The owner of the commercial centre sees a couple of businesses close so, to make up the loss of income, puts up the rent on those who are just about making a go of it.  Result, the restaurant can't afford the new rent so closes down.  We have whole swathes of empty shop units which have closed because they can't afford the increased rents.  A fairly successful Italian restaurant recently closed for this very reason and opened up in the next village along where they can afford the rent.  Needless to say, the old restaurant stands empty alongside another one that closed for the same reason a few months ago.

Oh, and they don't put the tolls up in the tourist season.  If you ask them they'll tell you they put the tolls down out of season.  Really joined up thinking.

Like 0      
03 Jul 2013 7:48 PM by Fartharder Star rating in Loriguilla.. 172 posts Send private message

Fartharder´s avatar

The business mentality in Spain remains that in order to make more money, you must charge more money.

I bought a t-shirt the other week, and as I thought it was a bit expensive, I asked for a discount. The shop owner gave me a discount and said that during these times we all need to help each other out. This was the first time I've ever been given a discount in seven years of cheekily asking. Maybe some business owners are catching on to the fact that they need to do this to keep going, but I fear too many will crumble before they come around to this way of thinking.

It costs 70€ to get from Valencia to Barcelona and back on the toll roads which is rediculous. No wonder the road up there was so busy.

Like 0      
04 Jul 2013 11:32 AM by sooz Star rating. 12 posts Send private message

It isn't only Spain where this mentality exists, I can list a whole string of other countries where the same mentality is alive and kicking.

Like 0      
04 Jul 2013 3:03 PM by Fartharder Star rating in Loriguilla.. 172 posts Send private message

Fartharder´s avatar

Sooz

I don't doubt that, but I said Spain because we are talking about Spain.

Like 0      
05 Jul 2013 11:10 PM by Foxilady Star rating in surrey. 277 posts Send private message

Foxilady´s avatar

This message was last edited by Foxilady on 05/07/2013.

If I shine too brightly, then put your sunglasses on oy vey

Like 0      
05 Jul 2013 11:26 PM by davmunster Star rating in Carvajal\Belfast. 843 posts Send private message

davmunster´s avatar

Around Fuengirola it was the ex pat businesses that reacted to the recession quickest by being competitive and it became impossible to eat economicaly  at a locally owned cafe. Now. there are Spanish owned businesses who are also competing and we are happy to support them in their efforts!

David

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

AM I MISSING SOMETHING? - 2 posts
Gesa endesa number urgently required to call from uk - 8 posts
Los Alcazares Furniture recommendation please - 13 posts
Mortgage Protection Insurance - 7 posts
Burglaries-is gassing a myth? - 14 posts
RECOVERED FUNDS TERCIA REAL - 0 posts
Pickie Eaters Dilemma - 13 posts
Calais to Andalusia - 8 posts
Just purchased in Los Alcazares, a couple of questions - 0 posts
Stopping people from voting by including special payment on community fees. - 2 posts
are verbal agreements legally binding in Spain - 0 posts
Retiring to Spain - or somewhere. - 11 posts
Killer Deposits Keep Rentals Empty - 20 posts
speed cameras on N332 - 0 posts
tenant from hell - 0 posts
Travel to Russia - 4 posts
SAN JAVIER JAZZ FESTIVAL - 0 posts
PERFECT PUT DOWNS - 5 posts
Oval Racing - something different for Saturday night - 0 posts
Dangerous dogs - 15 posts
Unwanted cold calls - 12 posts
What details needed for Tax Return non resident ! - 14 posts
Divorce on the horizon for troika - 0 posts
Hello everyone - 0 posts
Winter Fuel Allowance - 269 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 8

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x