Unwanted cold calls

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
27 Jun 2013 10:58 AM by Plantagenet Star rating in Jaen. 32 posts Send private message

Plantagenet´s avatar

I am being plagued by cild calling.  From 0830 until 2230 each day.  I have tried being polite and asking them not to call, no result. I have tried being angry - no result, I have tried being downright rude - no result.  There are 3 numbers that show up on my display - all madrid number codes.  Is there anything I can do, preferably by using the Internet, to stop this nonsense?  Thank you.

Like 0      
27 Jun 2013 12:31 PM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar
Is it a mobile? Most of them have a number blocking facility. With movistar you change the settings under phone and enter the number you want to block. Not sure Spain has an equivalent of the telephone preference service but maybe someone knows?

Like 0      
27 Jun 2013 12:49 PM by Plantagenet Star rating in Jaen. 32 posts Send private message

Plantagenet´s avatar

Thanks, no it's not a mobile but a landline.  It is Movistar - a Famitel AT80 model.  I'll have to see if I can download an instruction manual in English to access any blocking facility.

Like 0      
27 Jun 2013 3:18 PM by lorraine56 Star rating in Granada Spain. 51 posts Send private message

Hi Plantagenet,

Try phoning 1004 and ask to speak to an English operator if your Spanish is not good, explain what is happening and ask them to block the number. We had a similar problem with a mobile and they were very helpfull.

Like 0      
27 Jun 2013 4:33 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

I have a friend living in Spain who oddly was receiving obscene calls from a Spanish sounding person, from a UK phone.

He tried Telefonica to get a block on them but was told as they came from outside Spain they could not do anything.    

My friend contacted the police in UK but they too said there was nothing that could be done in UK.

After more than a year  of the calls, he has given up the fixed line phone.

Like 0      
27 Jun 2013 4:51 PM by Plantagenet Star rating in Jaen. 32 posts Send private message

Plantagenet´s avatar

Oh, that is sad.  There are three different numbers, all from Madrid, which are annoying me.  I will have to rush to the 'phone  when it rings and note the numbers and get all three before trying to block them.

Like 0      
27 Jun 2013 8:16 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

Do you know what company it is that's calling you? You could try Robinsons list: https://www.listarobinson.es/default.asp

I used their service to successfully stop Jazztel calling me a couple of years ago.

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
28 Jun 2013 8:43 AM by Plantagenet Star rating in Jaen. 32 posts Send private message

Plantagenet´s avatar

No, I'm afraid I don't. I have tried asking them but they don't reply.  Speaking Spanish is easier then trying to understand it, particularly over the telephone, it's bad enough face to face as my hearing is a bit wonky.  I'll keep a record of the numbers and then try to get them blocked one way or another.  Thanks.

Like 0      
28 Jun 2013 10:16 AM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

Well, it may be worth trying Robinsons anyway - if they are proper companies, once you're registered, the calls should dry up. If they're just fly-by night cowboys, it may not have any effect, but it costs nothing to register.

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
05 Jul 2013 1:28 PM by tech Star rating in Maidstone/Turre when.... 83 posts Send private message

Hi,

there is a little devise in the uk called a call blocker. It sells for about £40 and I believe it works abroad. It is easy to use and set up and has stopped my incoming cold calls by about 90%. Just google CPR call blocker for all the details.

Hope this helps.

Tech 

Like 0      
05 Jul 2013 2:04 PM by Plantagenet Star rating in Jaen. 32 posts Send private message

Plantagenet´s avatar

Thanks very much - I'll take a look at it.

Like 0      
05 Jul 2013 2:49 PM by tech Star rating in Maidstone/Turre when.... 83 posts Send private message

Let us know how you get on.

Like 0      
08 Jul 2013 11:46 AM by Plantagenet Star rating in Jaen. 32 posts Send private message

Plantagenet´s avatar

I contacted the company via email and they replied within 24 hours.  The reply was that it should work in Spain, but if it didn't then there was a 30 day period in which it could be returned to them.  However, in the meantime I had several more calls, all from the same woman.  It goes like this 'Can I speak to senor xxxx (a Spanish name).  No you can't says I, he doesn't live here and I have told you this many times before.  Then she says 'Can I speak to senor xxxx (another Spanish name).  No you can't says I, he doesn't live here.  She says sorry and goes to ring off but I stop her and tell her that if she continues to call me I will contact my lawyer and accuse them of harrasment. There was a brief pause and then a man comes on the line and apologizes and rings off.  Have not had any calls from them for 4 days now.  One can live in hope I suppose.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

What details needed for Tax Return non resident ! - 14 posts
Divorce on the horizon for troika - 0 posts
Hello everyone - 0 posts
Winter Fuel Allowance - 269 posts
Bad management or just a total rip off! - 7 posts
UK Non resident Ltd - a better solution? - 0 posts
A good gestoria - 4 posts
Portugals Police BINGOING Mad... - 5 posts
Moving On - 7 posts
We are in the UK and our bank doesn't respond - 9 posts
Investors Chronicle article on retiring abroad - 0 posts
Mosquito Traps? - 6 posts
SIM Cards - 2 posts
What happens in Notary Office when selling - 28 posts
A clean room project - 0 posts
Maintenance charges on bank accounts used for paying mortgage payments ! - 0 posts
Becoming non resident in spain for tax purposes - 7 posts
Moving to Spain March 2014 - 2 posts
Spanish Banks - Who can we complain to - 6 posts
Sewing Machines - 5 posts
Old for new - 6 posts
moving to spain park life - 3 posts
Amazon... - 5 posts
Any feed back please "Firefly Rent a car" Murcia San Javier - 12 posts
Finca Parcs Testimonial - 7 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 13

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x