New Double Taxation Agreement between Spain and UK

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
06 Apr 2013 3:24 PM by baz1946 Star rating. 2327 posts Send private message

that if you talke this route you have now denied yourself health care in the UK

After reading this weeks Daily Mail i wouldn't worry to much about that one, the Mail has done a full page on " Overseas visitors" coming to England just to have free health care done, then going back home without ever paying for it.....Because the UK health service has said, don't bother to charge anyone, we cannot deny anyone health care.

It goes so far as to say that even when a couple of genuine overseas visitor's wanted to pay they were, told no we cant process any payments so leave it.

This ranges from pregnant mothers to cancer suffers, and going by the people who wrote in, mostly from hospital staff, it's been going on for many many years.

It seems it's costing the UK billions in free medicine, health care and stopping genuine UK citizens from having their hospital emergency treatment done on time.

Like 0      
06 Apr 2013 4:22 PM by Kathyslad Star rating. 329 posts Send private message

Having read through the new draft Double Taxation Agreement between Spain and the UK, there is, in my view, a major issue, if you have a government pension, which is currently taxable only in the UK. If you have any other income, such as a state pension, then you currently get the benefit of two personal allowances.

A government pension is still only taxable in the UK, BUT, in Article 22, under Elimination of Double Taxation it says

b) Where in accordance with any provision of the Convention income
derived or capital owned by a resident of Spain is exempt from tax in
Spain, Spain may nevertheless, in calculating the amount of tax on the
remaining income (or capital) of such resident, take into account the
exempted income or capital.

My understanding of this, is that they will add the value of a government pension to the income to be taxed in Spain, which will potentially impact your earned income allowances, and may also impact your marginal rate of tax.

Like 0      
06 Apr 2013 5:24 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Well its been good while it has lasted. 

25 years of double tax releif,  so I  won't complain.

Like 0      
06 Apr 2013 5:36 PM by Team GB Star rating. 1245 posts Send private message

Team GB´s avatar

Off thread but continuing the health service debate, have a look at this from this weeks Olive Press.

Appalling story of a British expat women who had to go back to the UK for a short while, she needed to look after her sick mother.

www.theolivepress.es/spain-news/2013/04/04/expat-hit-with-e1180-bill-for-one-night-in-nhs-hospital/

Like 0      
06 Apr 2013 5:45 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Info from NHS web page:-

UK state pensioners living overseas, and those visiting from countries that have a reciprocal healthcare agreement with the UK, are also entitled to free hospital treatment, but not pre-planned treatment or treatment that can await their return home.

Sometimes one needs to take a pinch of salt with readers letters, as the 'facts' described are not always exactly correct.

Like 0      
06 Apr 2013 5:50 PM by juansheetisplenty Star rating in Cartagena. 283 posts Send private message

juansheetisplenty´s avatar

Should one also not apply for an EHIC card as Spanish resident also?

Like 0      
06 Apr 2013 5:57 PM by Team GB Star rating. 1245 posts Send private message

Team GB´s avatar

John

Of course we know she should have been carrying a Spanish EHIC card for her visit to the UK.

What I find appalling is that a British Citzen who has paid tax there for forty years is charged whilst immigrant's who have never paid tax anywhere get the treatment for free.

Maybe she should of presented her invoice to the Spanish 

Like 0      
06 Apr 2013 6:00 PM by juansheetisplenty Star rating in Cartagena. 283 posts Send private message

However, a UK resident in Spain on holiday can apply for an EHIC retrospectively. We know somebody from who ended up in hospital longer than necessary because the insurer would not pay and wanted the UK government to issue a backdated EHIC. I guess my point is on the one hand today in threads somebody commented that the NHS does not charge immigrants, and here we have a situation where two civil services could sort this out. Logic?

Juan

Like 0      
06 Apr 2013 6:06 PM by DonLochnagar Star rating in Mazarron. 161 posts Send private message

The difference in the health systems is that the UK one is 'residence' based, whereas the Spanish one you have to qualify for from either being Spanish or working in the country.  British pensioners and disabled persons from the UK's health is paid by the UK eventually.

Like 0      
06 Apr 2013 6:09 PM by juansheetisplenty Star rating in Cartagena. 283 posts Send private message

Good point. So the conclusion is that the Uk Pensioner in Spain has healthe care provided by UK government at a cost of £3000 say. They then need treatment in UK. So question - should the UK pay again? Not being funnny here but just trying to apply some logic? Why should the SPanish health system not reimburse the UK here?

Juan

Like 0      
06 Apr 2013 6:14 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Team,  One must have rules and rules should be complied with, tough.

I pay  tax only in the UK, although I live in Spain,  but I too cannot hope to get treatment there without the paperwork.

Although as the UK pay £3,500 a year for each of us entitled to get free health care in Spain, it seems a little odd one cannot get it in UK.

But as I said,  I never take reader's’ letters as being 100% accurate, as an Irish friend tells me “Pity to spoil a good story for the want of a wee lie”

Like 0      
06 Apr 2013 6:18 PM by DonLochnagar Star rating in Mazarron. 161 posts Send private message

No Juan, they are just different systems.  The UK are mugs, the Spanish aren't!

Like 0      
06 Apr 2013 6:20 PM by juansheetisplenty Star rating in Cartagena. 283 posts Send private message

LOL. We use the two services a lot as my partner has serious health issues. Give me Spain anyday! The NHS has the best nursing but is an admin nightmare!

Like 0      
06 Apr 2013 6:27 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

Doesn't take a detective to establish (from the story in the Olive press) that the lady was not a pensioner  Lsoing your touch, John?

Don, your "facts" are incorrect. Using bold type doesn't make any difference. 

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
06 Apr 2013 6:32 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

ten out ot ten Roberto.

Like 0      
06 Apr 2013 6:41 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

9/10 - I spelt "losing" wrong! 

Mark Twain

Like 0      
06 Apr 2013 7:18 PM by DonLochnagar Star rating in Mazarron. 161 posts Send private message

Roberto,  I only use bold type because of these crap specs I was given in the UK by the NHS optician.  I must go to an optician here in Spain.I see their specs are half the price of the ones in the UK. 

Like 0      
06 Apr 2013 7:27 PM by juansheetisplenty Star rating in Cartagena. 283 posts Send private message

The one on the main road in Mazarron town near where the old outdoor market was is very good. Also pop into the bodega for some Jumilla by the litre!

Saludos

Like 0      
06 Apr 2013 7:33 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

New Double Taxation Agreement between Spain and UK - discuss!

Mark Twain

Like 0      
06 Apr 2013 7:34 PM by juansheetisplenty Star rating in Cartagena. 283 posts Send private message

Yep I have checked your spelling!

Juan

Like 0      

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

even more rentals will become illegal - 3 posts
Buyers Commission !! - 5 posts
Rossetti buy me some beer - 2 posts
I apologise for mistake with moderator - 3 posts
Drawing a line in the sand (again) - 2 posts
Hoping to move my family and I to Spain!! - 46 posts
Communication with clients by Costa Luz Lawyers - 9 posts
housing shortage in malaga - 0 posts
Squatting - 11 posts
ANYBODY NEED ANYTHING BRINGING FROM UK TO SPAIN AROUND MAY 20TH - CAN BRING DOGS IF NEEDED - 0 posts
Building Costs Spain - 2 posts
Embargo on our house info please - 11 posts
European Ombudsman seminar "It's our Europe: Let's get active!" April 23rd 2013 - 3 posts
Crossing a line in the sand - 3 posts
Dorothy - 5 posts
Is it right Maria C refuses to speak to her client over negligence? - 21 posts
Apartments for Sale..La Condesa de Mijas - 6 posts
All Inclusive Cruise Valencia - 2 posts
For Sale Bookcase 3 piece suite and computer station with chair 1.3 dish - 1 posts
interlinking communities - 1 posts
non resident tax - 3 posts
driving lessons - 3 posts
bingo - 0 posts
Cyprus 60% haircut, about time too! - 24 posts
Walking in the Subbetica - 8 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 66

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x