Walking in the Subbetica

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
30 Mar 2013 11:15 AM by deborah1959 Star rating. 6 posts Send private message

I know that there are no OS maps in Spain, but does anybody have any good sites for walking maps?  I particularly want the Sierrra Subbetica. 

Like 0      
30 Mar 2013 7:51 PM by tamaraessex Star rating in Colmenar, Malaga. 508 posts Send private message

tamaraessex´s avatar
If it's not too far to go, there's a very good bookshop in Torre del Mar (east of Málaga) which stocks walking maps of all the good walking areas of Andalucía. I bought a 1:25,000 of the area covering my village and the surrounding area, plus a bigger 1:40,000 of the Axarquía region along with two books of walks that specifically went with the map. The bookshop is called Pasa Tiempo and their website is http://bookshoppasatiempo.com/. They are multi-lingual. Well worth a visit and they should have everything you need.

Blog about settling into a village house in the Axarquía. http://www.eyeonspain.com/blogs/tamara.aspx

Like 0      
31 Mar 2013 6:19 PM by deborah1959 Star rating. 6 posts Send private message

Thanks very much, I'll certainly give it a go.  Holiday planned for the end of April/beg May and my sense of direction would never get me anywhere without a map.

Like 0      
31 Mar 2013 8:05 PM by DoubleJ Star rating in Las Alpujarras and L.... 143 posts Send private message

DoubleJ´s avatar

Deborah,

We also struggled initially getting suitable maps for the Alpujarra region of Andalucia. We eventually found a good source at Stanfords of Longacre, London (0207 836 1321, www.stanfords.co.uk ). It may be worth a try

Maps of inland Spain are hard to come by and are generally very poor at indicating rights of way and footpaths. Mapa Guia Parque Natural Sierra Subbeticas, 1:50,000 by Junta de Andalucia, covers most of the area you are interseted in, on a single map.

The series Cartografia Militar de Espana 1:50,000 is drafted a little more clearly although the paper is of poor quality. Four maps of this series, Lucena(17-40), Baena(17-39), Alcala la Real(18-40) and Alcaudete(18-39) together cover your area of interest.

All of these should be available from Stanfords where they retail at about £6 each and can be ordered over the telephone.

To get hold of them much more cheaply visit the map shop at: Libreria INE, Calle Panaderos 2, Malaga

Regards  JJ

This message was last edited by DoubleJ on 31/03/2013.

Like 0      
31 Mar 2013 8:45 PM by deborah1959 Star rating. 6 posts Send private message

Thank you.  We have had a couple of these maps in the past but I reckon it's worth a try again.  Got to say to date we have found that simply going walking for pleasure isn't the Spanish way and everybody around where we have a house just think we're nuts and they don't bother, so we go all over the place - Ventas del Carrizal.  We're in the middle of olive land and so walk randomly but this time I'm going with a couple of people who are more serious walkers and I have wanted to do some substantial walking in the Subbetica for some time but just a bit conscious that away from 'home' it might not be so acceptable to go off piste!!  Think I've fround a good publishing opportunity for somebody here, please somebody produce some OS maps.

Thanks again

Deb

Like 0      
01 Apr 2013 7:20 PM by DoubleJ Star rating in Las Alpujarras and L.... 143 posts Send private message

DoubleJ´s avatar

Deb,

What we have found, is that in areas that aren't particularly well supported by maps, someone has generally produced walking guides with specific, hand drawn maps for the particular walk they're describing.

The problem is though, some of these books can be quite specific and prosaic in their descriptions. They almost say; "Turn right where you see the old man in the red bandanna smoking a cigar" !!!   It makes for an interesting walk though !.

There may be an opening for you here - Go on some walks and record your route. Then collect together some walks and publish them !!

When you have made your 1st Million, let me know.

Regards

JJ

Like 0      
01 Apr 2013 8:00 PM by deborah1959 Star rating. 6 posts Send private message

My husband already has the book planned - Walks with my Sheepdog - unfortunately by the time we get out there permanently I don't think the current sheepdog will still be up to walks - not hard to tell we're from Yorkshire is it?

Like 0      
01 Apr 2013 10:48 PM by nigel188 Star rating in Estepona. 656 posts Send private message

Hi Deborah

I came across this website recently. If you Browse the Titles Tab,you might find something you can use. Alternatively ask the Author to write a Book about this particlular area you are interested in. Also found this website for you.

http://www.santanabooks.com/aboutus.htm

http://www.turismodelasubbetica.es/senderismo/index/lng/en

Good Luck

Regards

This message was last edited by nigel188 on 01/04/2013.

Nigel

Like 0      
02 Apr 2013 8:07 AM by tamaraessex Star rating in Colmenar, Malaga. 508 posts Send private message

tamaraessex´s avatar
This guy runs day walks and holidays in the Nerja area, a bit south of where you want. But he is also a fount of information and is wuite useful to follow on Facebook .....

http://www.hikingwalkingspain.com/p/group-offers.html

Blog about settling into a village house in the Axarquía. http://www.eyeonspain.com/blogs/tamara.aspx

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Smart TV with built in Freesat - 2 posts
Tabacs location - 4 posts
The UKs freezing easter climate. Starting a rush to Spain - 2 posts
State schools Marbella - 1 posts
Bank of Spain, Official exchange rates for 2012 - 3 posts
shop licence in Mijas - 1 posts
working on your own home at weekends etc - 1 posts
Jet 2 discount code - 7 posts
Re cover garden furniture - 3 posts
Dictatorship? - 18 posts
Asian food shop in Torrevieja??? - 5 posts
Spanish Bank Issue - PLEASE HELP!!! - 5 posts
Good Morning World." HAPPY" You Bet I am. - 7 posts
Just an experiment - 15 posts
Chimney and flue sweeping in Spain - 6 posts
Need advice! EU & Non-EU - 0 posts
Places to get leather in Spain - 5 posts
Buying a computer in Spain - 12 posts
Moving to spain a few questions - 0 posts
MTV free to air on satellite - 0 posts
BBC HD satellite updates - 2 posts
Non EU driving License? - 4 posts
Deposit Returned from Arenal Duquesa - Happy Ending - 5 posts
BEACH BARS/RESTAURANTS - 4 posts
Easyjet Winter Flights - 4 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 9

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x