Cameron promises in/out referendum on EU

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
23 Jan 2013 10:18 AM by Parsnip Star rating. 6 posts Send private message

Didn't see that one coming! Where does that leave the massive ex-pat community? In my opinion, Britian owes it to its 2.5 million citizens living in other EU countries not to exit. Britain owes it to its exporting (and importing) businesses - overwhelmingly dependent for British competitiveness on the single market - not to exit. The free movement of people and economic prosperity matter more than whimsical far right/anti-trade politics.

Like 0      
23 Jan 2013 10:42 AM by solwayiceman Star rating in Scotland. 50 posts Send private message

Just remind me once again Who took us into the EU  ah yes one Ted Heath and who voted for this  ah yes we did. We need to be in not out we get more from the EU than we realise and we are better off in. This will roll on and on we dont have an empire any more so lets just get on with it and get as much out of the EU we can.

Long live the difference. Long live the revolution.

Like 0      
23 Jan 2013 10:51 AM by clarice Star rating. 35 posts Send private message

How about the jingoistic view that Englands laws are decided by the English ( sorry Mr Scotland  Alec Salmond already decided for you ).

The in /out referendum is risky but it puts an end to all the messing about  then England can be in or out no more messing about 

Like 0      
23 Jan 2013 10:55 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

As I remember,    I did not vote to enter an EU,  which could/would control UK,  but a common market,  where countries could freely trade.

Interesting comment I just came upon at :-

http://www.vernoncoleman.com/euillegally.html

Britain's entry into the Common Market (later to be transformed into the EU) was also illegal for another reason. The Prime Minister who signed the entry documents, Edward Heath, later confirmed that he had lied to the British people about the implications of the Treaty.

Heath told the electorate that signing the Treaty of Rome would lead to no essential loss of National Sovereignty but later admitted that this was a lie. Astonishingly, Heath said he lied because he knew that the British would not approve of him signing the Treaty if they knew the truth. Heath told voters that the EEC was merely a free trade association. But he was lying through his teeth. He knew that the original members of the EEC had a long-standing commitment to political union and the step by step creation of a European superstate.

This message was last edited by johnzx on 23/01/2013.

Like 0      
23 Jan 2013 11:26 AM by ads Star rating. 4124 posts Send private message

European politicians need a wake up call to address the many uncomfortable realities that are decimating people's lives.

European citizens should all be fighting for consumer rights and protection from a justice system that ensures fair and consistent enforcement of the law, in order to counter corrupt practice and lack of accountability from banking, corporate and political arenas alike.

We all deserve better from the existing European system and we should all be pushing for far greater accountability and major change to the status quo.

Sadly the present system is not working and in the process it's effect on all our lives cannot be under-estimated. Change is needed but its up to European citizens to demand that change from their political leaders, across all political persuasions.

Like 0      
23 Jan 2013 1:29 PM by Roly2 Star rating in Almeria. 646 posts Send private message

Well interestingly, the polls are already showing a comfortable win for the 'in' argument - and rising steadily as the reality takes hold.

Personally, I have always believed that the growth in UK is more linked to the stance on immigration, rather than the EU.  I don't think a stand alone UK (minus Scotland) is attractive.  

Like 0      
23 Jan 2013 1:32 PM by marcbernard Star rating in Marina Alta; Alicant.... 254 posts Send private message

As I understand things, once one has held a residence for 5 or more years then the right to residence becomes permanent.

As a longstanding resident here in Spain, and with my family having multi-national ancestry (Ireland, Wales and England), maybe we will be safe anyway!

I do not really believe that the British people could be so stupid as to leave the EU, once the debate has disclosed the advantages which have been assiduously hidden by the rightwing press and Little Englanders all these years!

Like 0      
23 Jan 2013 1:34 PM by Roly2 Star rating in Almeria. 646 posts Send private message

Meant to say growth in UKip - sorry!!

Like 0      
23 Jan 2013 1:36 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Ads, 

whilst in general  I tend to agree with what you say, the problem as I see it is that in effect you are saying that the EU, as a whole,(United States of Europe) should have laws which protect us.

I would argue  for an EU with considerably less universal powers.  Although I do not live in UK, I do not believe that the EU should be able to dictate what the UK chooses to do in relation to it’s internal systems, problems, laws, immigration etc.

It is I believe the ever increasing, powers of the EU, which are likely to persuade people to vote to leave it,  if the UK ever has a referendum.

Like 0      
23 Jan 2013 2:01 PM by Woodbug Star rating. 371 posts Send private message

Cameron has said he will allow a referendum in 2018! A week in politics is a long time, never mind 5 years. Anyway, the rate Cameron and his bunch of Hooray Henry mates are cocking everything up, he will hopefully have self-destructed by then. Come to think of it, the EU may also have disappeared by then as well.

Like 0      
23 Jan 2013 2:27 PM by Roly2 Star rating in Almeria. 646 posts Send private message

what is often at fault is simply the way the UK applies the laws - which leads people to beleive it is a European court being unfair and treating countries differently, when it is often just how the law is applied. 

Like 0      
23 Jan 2013 2:52 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Roly  

what is often at fault is simply the way the UK applies the laws - which leads people to beleive it is a European court being unfair and treating countries differently, when it is often just how the law is applied.

My point was not that they might treat countries differently but that I never voted(and I doubt that anyone else did either)  to have laws imposed on the UK from the EU, even if they are the same as everywhere else.  

For example:-  Why should people from all over the EU be able to access all the social security benefits, medical facilities etc. just because the EU says they must be treated the same as those in the UK who have paid in all their working life? 

Why should prisoners have the vote just because the EU says they must ? 

Etc .etc.

Like 0      
23 Jan 2013 3:11 PM by Parsnip Star rating. 6 posts Send private message

Fair enough have a debate or even a vote about Britain's relationship with the EU but not something as extreme as a referendum on membership. But as someone has already said, the argument for staying in has never been properly articulated due to the noisy sceptic rantings of the Tory right and Tory press. I would welcome a calm and measured presentation of the real benefits of European membership. It would surely win the day then.

Like 0      
23 Jan 2013 3:14 PM by baz1946 Star rating. 2327 posts Send private message

What Cameron said is a far cry from what might happen, he said the vote on the EU which will be an "In or Out vote" will take place after the next General Election...IF...he wins again.

So hows that for blackmail then.

Like 0      
23 Jan 2013 3:22 PM by Woodbug Star rating. 371 posts Send private message

Come on Parsnip......... when did you ever see that bunch of loonies in Westminster behave in a calm and measured manner? They are incapable of any sane behaviour let alone present a measured and truthful set of facts concering this issue or any other come to that.

I fully agree with your point though.

Woodbug

Like 0      
23 Jan 2013 3:26 PM by Parsnip Star rating. 6 posts Send private message

I am not suggesting that MPs present the pro-EU case Woodbug but people like business leaders and academics maybe.

Like 0      
23 Jan 2013 3:27 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Parsnip
I would welcome a calm and measured presentation of the real benefits of European membership. It would surely win the day then.
The problem with that is who do you believe would be telling the truth and what sort of truth would it be ?

Example.  An extremist from the left would have a very different belief from one from the far right.

Both might be correct from their position. 

In the end it would come down to accepting which person opinion  is near test the truth, but that would probably be the person saying what each listener  basically believes.  

Not much help really.

Like 0      
23 Jan 2013 3:33 PM by Parsnip Star rating. 6 posts Send private message

An extremist from the left would have a very different belief from one from the far right.

Isn't that the same with every debate, regardless of the issue? Like I said, the Pro-EU lobby needs to present a case that is grounded in fact and use credible representatives from business and academia to articulate this.

Like 0      
23 Jan 2013 3:39 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

the Pro-EU lobby needs to present a case that is grounded in fact and use credible representatives from business and academia to articulate this.

But that will depend on the prejudices of each person.  The person I accept as being a truthful expert may not be accepted by others.

Sorry, I do not believe there is any simple answer.

Most people if asked to decide would `probably do so based on what they get out of it.

Like 0      
23 Jan 2013 4:02 PM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar

The problem with a referendum is that the general British public is very misinformed.  Those who vote will believe that, amongst other things;

The EU is making Britain give prisoners the vote.  It's not, it's the ECHR.  Britain signed up to that in 1950 and ratified it in 1951, a long time before they took up EU membership.

The EU makes Britain treat everyone on the NHS for free. It's not, it's the British system that makes it resident based, not contribution based.  That's why people from outside Europe also get it.  The EU simply states a EU citizen should get the same level of treatment offered to its own citizens, which is what happens.  In Spain, even Spaniards who haven't paid into the system don't get full cover.  That is changing, though.

The EU won't allow UK to sell bendy bananas and cucumbers. Again, a load of rubbish.  Food standards were part of British law long before they joined the EU.

That if Britain leaves the EU then the immigration problem would be solved overnight and everyone could be kicked out.  Sorry, wrong again.  The majority of immigrants in UK don't even come from the EU.

That the EU is making Britain sell things in metric measures so the pint will disappear.  Wrong again, Harold Wilson in 1965 introduced the Metrication bill, again a long time before Britain joined the EU.  In fact, it was the EU who said they had no objection in items being shown in pounds and ounces alongside kilos and grams.  The pint is safe.

Unfortunately some parts of the British press relish in giving out scare stories and prefacing them with "a European ruling" which alludes to the EU when it isn't.  Cameron is damned if he does and damned if he doesn't.  Many people in Britain are clamouring for a referendum but they are being given wrong facts.  Now he does give in and say there will be a referendum, he gets slated for that as well.

The support for UKIP is going to have consequences pretty bad for Britain.  They will never get in to form a government but will take votes from the Conservatives thus ensuring a Labour victory at the next election.  Then watch the UK go down the plughole.

I also don't think the government will take much notice of a couple of million expats in Europe who, in general, don't even bother voting, try and find ways of not paying tax in UK but are quite happy to take benefits like the WFP despite not living in UK for many years. But it's their right so they will ensure they claim it with no hint of embarrassment whatsover.  I think the government, any government, would quite like to wash their hands of this section of the community.

What is needed is a little more positive spin on what Britain gets out of the EU rather than the headlines like those above or the "it costs us 50 million quid a day" and so on.  So what, exactly, are the benefits of the EU to the UK?  It would be nice for someone to actually spell it out for a change.  

Like 0      

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Office of fair trading in Spain - 5 posts
Still looking for Wayne - 0 posts
£20 a week car hire - is this for real ? - 9 posts
What can I get for around £30k in a bohemian area? - 1 posts
Changing to interest only mortgage - 22 posts
A Bank or a Circus? - 0 posts
MRI Fraud and Darran MacAnthony - 1 posts
has anyone had experience of 'exporting' DLA and carers allowance to Spain??? - 2 posts
"Payment in kind" - legal rights and obligations - 1 posts
Which budget airlines has the most generous baggage aloowance ? - 15 posts
Ocean View Property Fraud Scandal!! - 0 posts
Where do I find a houseshare in places like Orgiva - 3 posts
The latest corruption scandal to hit Spain. - 75 posts
Breakdown recovery cover in Spain for three months - 1 posts
How do I know if my holiday rental is legit? - 3 posts
Driving to Spain with my car - checklist & advice - 18 posts
Looking for Estate agent suggestion /recomendations please. Rural property - 10 posts
New European Driving License introduced today - 3 posts
STERLING TAKING A POUNDING - 3 posts
Electricity and Water Charges - 0 posts
Thank you - 0 posts
Holiday property rentals next to the golf course of Almerimar, Andalusia, Spain - 0 posts
New Spanish Laws....are they for real, or is it a windup.. - 14 posts
House Sitters - 1 posts
Looking for staff for my boiler room - 2 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 103

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x