Which budget airlines has the most generous baggage aloowance ?

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
21 Jan 2013 5:07 PM by nomadicamel Star rating. 23 posts Send private message

I'm flying to Malaga from London and can't seem to get my head around the baggage allowance, it's my first flight to Spain. Apologies for being a dumpty. I think I'll have about 20 - 30 kg on me.

Do I have to pay extra for checking in baggage? It all seem a bit confusing on these European budget flights :(

Ps for those who've been reading my 'driving to spain thread', I'm now considering flying & hiring a car. Just incase you're wondering :)

Like 0      
21 Jan 2013 6:08 PM by Poppyseed Star rating. 897 posts Send private message

Each of the airlines websites will have details of their baggage allowances and charges.

Poppyseed

Like 0      
21 Jan 2013 6:08 PM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar
Both easyjet and Ryanair allow 20kg hold baggage BUT you have to specify with Ryanair if you want 15 or 20kg when you first book. Ryanair have 10kg cabin bag as a limit but Easyjet has no limit provided you can lift it up to the locker without assistance. Costs vary depending on time of year with holiday periods being quite expensive. You'll probably find one checked bag is about the same price as a weeks car hire.
Some of the holiday companies, Thomson, for example, have a maximum 15kg hold and 5kg cabin limit. The other important thing to remember is the size of the cabin bag. Go over the size and they'll make you put it in hold at a cost of £40.

Like 0      
21 Jan 2013 7:41 PM by nomadicamel Star rating. 23 posts Send private message

Thanks Bobaol! 

Easyjety sounds like it would be a good option :)

Like 0      
21 Jan 2013 8:20 PM by keith77 Star rating. 30 posts Send private message

Hi

Jet 2 are 22kg,and 10kg hand luggage if they fly from anywhere near you.

regards

Keith

Like 0      
22 Jan 2013 10:41 AM by Sonia El Star rating in Wales / Carvajal, F.... 212 posts Send private message

Although a loyal Easyjet passenger who only takes hand baggage, sometimes, if wanting a hold bag a scheduled airline can be comparable in price and far less hassle. For example BA allow not only hold luggage but also a cabin bag plus either a handbag (manbag!) or laptop. Worth checking on a price comparison site before booking.

I'd be interested in where you can get a week's car hire for the same price as putting a case in the hold?  I always pay a lot more.

Like 0      
22 Jan 2013 10:59 AM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar
Ryanair charges £35 for the first bag up to 15kg and £70 for the second bag up to 15kg. As the OP said they had 20 to 30kg then £105. I've hired cars out for a lot less than that. And, yes, BA are far more generous at 23kg for free.

Like 0      
22 Jan 2013 12:21 PM by nomadicamel Star rating. 23 posts Send private message

Thanks Guys,

Sonia I've seen a weeks car hire for £50 (small car) or less on uk comparison sites. I got a quote for two months car hire for less then £400 !  Car hire seems to really cheap in Spain. It's pretty much why I scrapped my plans to drive there from the UK, it's cheaper to hire a small car for the whole three months I'm there!

Note: Don't take out the excees insurance cover offered by the hire car company, it doubles the quote. Instead buy a annual policy of the 'net for £40

Like 0      
22 Jan 2013 3:01 PM by TamaraEssex Star rating in Colmenar, Malaga. 508 posts Send private message

TamaraEssex´s avatar

Bob I think you are quoting the summer baggage prices with Ryanair.  It's currently low season, so it's £25 for 20kg, or £20 for 15kg.  If the OP uses a 20kg suitcase and 10kg in the cabin, he'll get his 30kg over there for just £25.

Blog about settling into a village house in the Axarquía. http://www.eyeonspain.com/blogs/tamara.aspx

Like 0      
22 Jan 2013 3:35 PM by Poppyseed Star rating. 897 posts Send private message

And I thought the total  baggage allowance was either the 15kg or 20kg even if 2 bags were checked in and anything over that incurred a £20 per kilo excess baggage charge???? Perhaps I have misunderstood.

Poppyseed

Like 0      
22 Jan 2013 5:32 PM by mnj Star rating in L.A. Murcia . 37 posts Send private message

i think you will find it's £15 for a 15kg bag with Ryanair in low season

Like 0      
22 Jan 2013 6:29 PM by nomadicamel Star rating. 23 posts Send private message

It seems it is  confusing topic.

Tamara if I understand correctly, with Ryan air I can get 30kg for £20 ? That would be fantastic. I think a better question would be which airlines to avoid? 

Like 0      
22 Jan 2013 7:01 PM by tamaraessex Star rating in Colmenar, Malaga. 508 posts Send private message

tamaraessex´s avatar
Yes you can but let's be clear - you have a max of 20kg checked into the hold, and up to 10kg in your cabin bag. I've moved pretty much all my household stuff over that way, doing it once a moneth. Mind you, I ended up with 6 suitcases in Spain!

Blog about settling into a village house in the Axarquía. http://www.eyeonspain.com/blogs/tamara.aspx

Like 0      
22 Jan 2013 10:57 PM by nomadicamel Star rating. 23 posts Send private message

Poop just found out Ryan air don't fly to Malaga :(  But thanks Tamara :)

Like 0      
22 Jan 2013 11:26 PM by tamaraessex Star rating in Colmenar, Malaga. 508 posts Send private message

tamaraessex´s avatar
Umm, I fly to Malaga every month with Ryanair! I think it's more a matter of from where in the UK!!!

And Poppyseed - you're right that you only have 20kg in the hold even if you check in two bags, but you have the 10kg cabin allowance on top of that. Or unlimited weight with Easyjet but within the size 56 x 45 x 25cm I think.

Like 0      
22 Jan 2013 11:33 PM by nomadicamel Star rating. 23 posts Send private message

Sorry, just checked they do fly to Malaga but not from London!

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Ocean View Property Fraud Scandal!! - 0 posts
Where do I find a houseshare in places like Orgiva - 3 posts
The latest corruption scandal to hit Spain. - 75 posts
Breakdown recovery cover in Spain for three months - 1 posts
How do I know if my holiday rental is legit? - 3 posts
Driving to Spain with my car - checklist & advice - 18 posts
Looking for Estate agent suggestion /recomendations please. Rural property - 10 posts
New European Driving License introduced today - 3 posts
STERLING TAKING A POUNDING - 3 posts
Electricity and Water Charges - 0 posts
Thank you - 0 posts
Holiday property rentals next to the golf course of Almerimar, Andalusia, Spain - 0 posts
New Spanish Laws....are they for real, or is it a windup.. - 14 posts
House Sitters - 1 posts
Looking for staff for my boiler room - 2 posts
2500€ cash limit - 1 posts
Almeria - 7 posts
Schools in Mazarron - 2 posts
Aguagest - extortionate water bill! - 0 posts
Dongle - 5 posts
Is now the time to buy property in Spain ? - 22 posts
Non Bank Guarantee - 3 posts
New surcharge on Ibedrola electricity bills - 1 posts
MORE BLOG SPAM - 2 posts
2 x single beds for sale - La Tercia,Murcia - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 16

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x