WILL THE WORLD END THIS FRIDAY......

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
19 Dec 2012 8:18 AM by ob123 Star rating in Southern Ireland. 191 posts Send private message

Hi There everybody, I am very worried about the end of the World on Friday, I live here in Ireland and hope to go back to Spain in Jan and would love to have another swim in Cabroig beach before it all ends, the TV is really scary to watch what will happen and all the preppers are already gone underground all set up for the terrible dissaster that will happen, look at the NG Channel on sky.....would like your opinion on this only 2 days left......

Like 0      
19 Dec 2012 9:51 AM by mobailey Star rating in San Cayetano. 461 posts Send private message

mobailey´s avatar

Hopfully the following should calm your worries about this.

It's all to do with the Mayan Calender.

The Maya were a clever bunch of folks. Their civilization got started several thousand years ago and reached its height by 900 A.D., spread over the Yucatan Peninsula in present-day Mexico. They had a sophisticated culture and were adept in agriculture and architecture. They had a complex written language and a keen system of mathematics. They were excellent astronomers, understanding the patterns of the stars and planets in the sky. And, of course, they had an advanced calendar. Several, in fact.

Keeping time is of paramount importance to any civilization. The Maya used different calendars for different purposes (we do too; there are fiscal calendars and monthly calendars and others that are arbitrary and headache-inducing, so don’t be too hard on the Maya). The calendar we’re interested in here is called the Long Count.

It had as its basic units a day (called a k’in) and a 360-day period called a tun. The Maya understood that a physical year was five days longer than a tun, and had other calendars to deal with that. They had longer units, too, like the ka’tun—just shy of 20 years—and most importantly for apocalypse aficionados, the b’ak’tun—roughly 394 of our years. The starting point for their calendar (Year Zero, if you like) is 3114 B.C., the date they figured the Earth was created.

Knowing all this, we can match their calendar to ours and convert any date they used to our more familiar system. If you do the math, you’ll find that we are nearing the end of the 13th b’ak’tun. In fact, it ends on Dec. 21, 2012.

That’s this Friday. Cue the spooky music.

The thing is, there is no suggestion, not even a hint, in Maya writing that they thought the end of this current b’ak’tun had any connection to doomsday. It’s entirely possible it may have even been thought of as a time of celebration (just like we celebrate New Year’s Eve).

The Maya also had bigger units of time, including the piktun (which was either 13 or 20b’ak’tun), and the alautun, which was—get this—63 million years! So it doesn’t sound like they were predicting the end of the world ever, let alone by this weekend.

Anyway, it hardly matters. Just like our calendar, theirs was based on cycles. At the end on a cycle, you reset all the current units and move the biggest one up a notch. It’s what we do on December 31: Reset to the first day of the first month, and increment the year by one. Happy New Year! Same thing with the Long Count. After the last day of the 13thb’ak’tun, they’d start over at the next one.

Mo&Bryan www.bryansblinds.com &  www.discovercostacalida.info Why not see if can we help  

Like 0      
19 Dec 2012 10:10 AM by ob123 Star rating in Southern Ireland. 191 posts Send private message

Now I understand  all about the Maya calender, many thanks for your letter, it looks like it won't end so, and I can sleep to-night, thanks and a very happy Christmas...

Like 0      
19 Dec 2012 10:59 AM by joekaren46 Star rating in Benalmadena Pueblo &.... 7 posts Send private message

Well, if anyone does REALLY think the world ends on the 21st, please could they drop all their valuables, and money, off at my house by the 20th............

Like 0      
19 Dec 2012 11:04 AM by wizzard2 Star rating in Costa Blanca. 32 posts Send private message

Terrific explanation,and even more believable than the world ending one..

It is just a shame,that the majority of Spanish Residents didnt know of this a few months ago,As they would all of been arranging Fiestas to celebrate

Like 0      
19 Dec 2012 1:46 PM by herbalist36 Star rating. 17 posts Send private message

It has been said, there is one born every minute!!!!!

Like 0      
19 Dec 2012 2:16 PM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar
You'll be sorry when you wake up on Saturday morning and find the world no longer exists! That'll teach you to scoff.

Like 0      
19 Dec 2012 3:05 PM by joekaren46 Star rating in Benalmadena Pueblo &.... 7 posts Send private message

Oh no he won't...Oh Yes he will...Oh no he won't...Oh Yes he will....

The world will only end when Norwich City win the English Premier League, and that's not until next May.....

Like 0      
21 Dec 2012 8:22 AM by tamaraessex Star rating in Colmenar, Malaga. 508 posts Send private message

tamaraessex´s avatar
Well here we all are, apparently safe and sound. Better go out and celebrate with a drink!

Blog about settling into a village house in the Axarquía. http://www.eyeonspain.com/blogs/tamara.aspx

Like 0      
21 Dec 2012 9:01 AM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar

Sorry, it's not due to happen until 11.11 GMT so you've got a couple of hours yet.  

Like 0      
21 Dec 2012 5:52 PM by mr.kevin Star rating in Costa Blanca. 189 posts Send private message

mr.kevin´s avatar

Well, it's now evening 21st December 2012 and the world is still ticking, at least it is in the Campo de Albatera.

Looks like these Mayans were about a good as the current politicians for getting things right. Useless !!!

Like 0      
22 Dec 2012 12:49 AM by ob123 Star rating in Southern Ireland. 191 posts Send private message

O what a relief we are here for another while..... those programmes on Sky NG  were all rubbish and I really thought they were true..... the guy in our radio station here in Ireland 96FM counted down the last 10 seconds the time was 11.11 this morning that the world would end, I was shaking with fear, but now I can sleep to-night and thanks for all your letters below that helped to calm me down.....

Like 0      
25 Dec 2012 12:09 AM by aly not in spain Star rating in Not far from Torre. 74 posts Send private message

Sorry, my sis hasn't been well, the last few days have been a bit of a haze,  with going to the hospital and getting to the shops avoiding the crowds, so are we all still here and Ok?    zzzzz

Like 0      
25 Dec 2012 2:39 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Living in Spain, I thought I was already in paradise !

Like 0      
25 Dec 2012 3:23 PM by foxbat Star rating in Granada. 1112 posts Send private message

25 Dec 2012 9:07 PM by rod Star rating in Uk and Spain. 469 posts Send private message

I PREDICT THAT THE WORLD WILL END ONE DAY

This message was last edited by rod on 25/12/2012.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Nerja, just moved in, anyone from around here? - 2 posts
Visit Andalusian - 5 posts
Corvera confusion - 7 posts
Mobile nightmare - 3 posts
thinking of moving to spain - 8 posts
Electricity on the rise again - 0 posts
How should we feel - 78 posts
Tax info on selling a recently inherited property please - 2 posts
Illustrator Wanted - 0 posts
Looking for an Illustrator - 2 posts
SPAIN NO LONGER AN OPTION - 2 posts
Funny Christmas Greeting in Spanish! - 5 posts
SIA DOOR SUPERVISOR - 5 posts
Minimum age of consent in Spain - 5 posts
Motivated Brokers Wanted - 0 posts
Embargo on a Motorbike-Help! - 6 posts
Solar Plant Medina Sidonia - 0 posts
No wills - 2 posts
Inheritance Tax for Non-residents - 7 posts
Credit Checks in Spain - 0 posts
Tenants fom Hell. What can be done legally - 36 posts
Responsibilities of property management company - 3 posts
Latest house price news from Spain - 157 posts
Property Nightmare resolved! - 4 posts
Should the "bad bank" demolish or finish the properties? - 12 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 16

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x