No wills

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
15 Dec 2012 3:02 PM by dianeg Star rating. 3 posts Send private message

My husband suddenly died at the end of October, unfortunately we had no wills. My Spanish solicitor says I need a letter of authorisation from England to say I am the rightful heir, my English solicitor says I come under Spanish Law because I am domiciled in Spain, reading on the Internet it seems the Spanish and English keep passing the ball to each other. Any advice on where to turn and what to do next would be greatly received.

Like 0      
15 Dec 2012 6:08 PM by Palestrina Star rating. 2 posts Send private message

It is most important that you firstly determine whether your husband was in fact domiciled in Spain. Succession of an estate is determined by domicile and NOT residence. Although it is possible to change your domicile, it is generally determined by where you are born, your father's domicile and your passport. If you continue to have assets in the UK then it is most likely that you are still UK domiciled. If you do not have a UK Will then the UK Rules of Intestacy would apply.

I suggest you get advice from an appropriately experienced solicitor in the UK(not a conveyancer) to deal with this for you. Not possible to give more detailed informaion in this forum as each case is different.

Hope this helps.

Palestrina

Like 0      
19 Dec 2012 9:30 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Palestrina

You are quoting UK inheritance law not Spanish.   It is very different.

The Spanish assests will be subject to Spanish Law, any in the UK will be subject to UK Law. It could have been different if there had been a Will either in Spain and or in UK

Diane, you do not say where you and husband lived.  That will make a difference.

I suggest you follow the advice of your solicitors in Spain/ UK as appropriate.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Inheritance Tax for Non-residents - 7 posts
Credit Checks in Spain - 0 posts
Tenants fom Hell. What can be done legally - 36 posts
Responsibilities of property management company - 3 posts
Latest house price news from Spain - 157 posts
Property Nightmare resolved! - 4 posts
Should the "bad bank" demolish or finish the properties? - 12 posts
Merry Xmas - 0 posts
Name and Shame list for tax cheats - 6 posts
Nie or passport numbers needed when buying goods. - 7 posts
Looking for printers of calendars and promotional products in Murica/Alicante region - 2 posts
home page on my laptop - 2 posts
Astra 1N, 2F & 2E satellite change over information & reception maps UK TV Spain - 0 posts
Nox-Bellcow successfully developed a new kind of tencel spunlace - 0 posts
210 on-line return no charge - 20 posts
The Three Wise Men were from Spain! - 9 posts
Anyone know of a Chimney Sweep in The Sotogrande area? - 4 posts
Really Good Value Christmas Day Meal - 0 posts
Coming to Formentera Del Segura and question please! - 2 posts
Non-Resident Tax, what you need to know - 0 posts
Need help - 2 posts
proof of income for nie number - 3 posts
Spanish language help - 2 posts
Sabinillas area air conditioning service - 2 posts
Mugged by Spanish Taxman? Any Advice - 1 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 3

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x