Latest house price news from Spain

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | ... | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
18 Dec 2012 11:27 AM by moncapitan Star rating in South by South West. 117 posts Send private message

Georgia,  closing 4 sales in 3 weeks is very fast.

do you have any comparative statistics for the last few years such as:

volume of sales
value of sales total & average
property time to sell
LTV ratio's
no of enquiries/ conversion rate

im sure this is business sensitive information so understand that you may not want to share.

but the news i receive from the coal face is quite different to your Pollyanna outlook - no offense, but i would expect you
to talk up the industry.

Let's get deeply into debt. 

Like 0      
18 Dec 2012 11:36 AM by Roly2 Star rating in Almeria. 646 posts Send private message

Thanks Harry - life in back of beyond is still good for me.  But all the young Spanish people have gone -  some to UK, some to South America.  Property prices through the floor - but still selling!!  Why would people not buy at such low prices????  I don't really see how you can lose long term.   The second home market is still the one 'active', and hopefully, because they are so cheap people will actually be able to afford the upkeep.    Investment - maybe some, but not a lot.  Most people seem to think it will be a very long time before any return is likely.  The buy to let market in Spain was always a con - and agents less than honest about the costs of letting.  I include the Place in the Sun people who are STILL telling people how much rent they can get.   Maybe in Bizarro world, where of course there are no taxes.   Personally, I cannot stand people who let and declare no tax either to Spain or the UK.   They should have their houses taken off them.  My tolerance is going down the pan along with the economy!!!    But remember - I am not retirment age so maybe have a different outlook??

Like 0      
18 Dec 2012 11:40 AM by georgia Star rating in Algorfa (As seen on .... 1835 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

georgia´s avatar

Georgia,  closing 4 sales in 3 weeks is very fast. (an average performance for this year)

do you have any comparative statistics for the last few years such as:

(last year)

volume of sales (Annually 50 sales)
value of sales total & average(60,00 to 100,000€)
property time to sell (3 weeks to 6 months)
LTV ratio's (only 5% of our clients require a mortgage,40% ltv is normal)
no of enquiries/ conversion rate (40%)

I have no need to talk up the market as  almost all of our clients have made an educated decision based on fact and not what they have read on the internet.

edited to say i am far from pollyana more of a vicor meldrew as i prefer to be pleasantly suprised than constantly dissapointed!

This message was last edited by georgia on 18/12/2012.

Like 0      
18 Dec 2012 11:50 AM by moncapitan Star rating in South by South West. 117 posts Send private message

Thanks for sharing this information Georgia - it gives people a good idea of the market in Algorfa.

I wonder if there are any other regions that are bucking the trend as well or Algorfa is just an isolated case.

Like 0      
18 Dec 2012 11:55 AM by georgia Star rating in Algorfa (As seen on .... 1835 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

georgia´s avatar

i dont just sell in Algorfa there are not enough houses...

I sell up and down the coast here and there are plenty of agents doing a lot better than me!

Like 0      
18 Dec 2012 12:05 PM by moncapitan Star rating in South by South West. 117 posts Send private message

Breaking news this morning reported by Vanguardia is that eviction proceedings jumped 134% in 2012.

Like 0      
18 Dec 2012 12:24 PM by Harry07 Star rating. 205 posts Send private message

"I wonder if there are any other regions that are bucking the trend as well or Algorfa is just an isolated case."

Do we really accept that Algorfa is defying the trend while all other markets are falling ? I have seen no "reliable" evidence of this - apart from ad hoc stories !!!!!!

Harry

Like 0      
18 Dec 2012 12:38 PM by moncapitan Star rating in South by South West. 117 posts Send private message

Harry07, Would we say that on average - 4 sales per month, mostly cash buyers in the region of €80K with a turnover of roughly €4M annually would be bucking a nationwide trend?

Georgia also states that her sales are from the whole of the Costa del Sol so perhaps Algorfa is not bucking the trend after all.

My brief research on Kyero yielded to me the impression of a stagnant market with lots of sellers and no buyers.

The only buyers are cash buyers as banks are not providing mortgages except to their own properties.

The range of properties available in Algorfa give a wide range of choices to the buyer, such as central, remote, on golf course etc etc..

I cannot imagine properties being bid up in this environment in Algorfa.

We also know from other threads that no one is buying to let as the law is stacked against landlords towards tenants so no private landlord would look to rent unless they want to be charitable with their time and property.

This message was last edited by moncapitan on 18/12/2012.

Like 0      
18 Dec 2012 12:46 PM by Harry07 Star rating. 205 posts Send private message

You have called it much better than me Moncapitan !!!!!!!!

Perhaps, I am too polite & did not wish to upset her.

Cheers,

Harry

Like 0      
18 Dec 2012 12:55 PM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar
Georgia is a fellah!
Algorfa is on the Costa Blanca.

Like 0      
18 Dec 2012 1:13 PM by moncapitan Star rating in South by South West. 117 posts Send private message

Bobaol... i was just testing the astute readers such as yourself ;-)

Like 0      
18 Dec 2012 1:39 PM by moncapitan Star rating in South by South West. 117 posts Send private message

More news out of Spain: via Zerohedge

Spain - getting worse, faster

Spanish Bad Loans At New Record, Deteriorate At Fastest Pace Since June

this month sees bad loans not only rise to record highs (above 11% for the first time in history) but the pace of this drastic deterioration accelerated at the fastest pace since June

the sheer size and scale of this level of bad loan and deterioration (double in two years) is far beyond anything the sovereign's bad bank is prepared for..

in a strange and twistedly ironic reacharound whereby the bad banks themselves (all domestic, no foreign, Santander 16% stake!) are buying up the assets of the nation's bad banks 

Like 0      
18 Dec 2012 2:22 PM by georgia Star rating in Algorfa (As seen on .... 1835 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

georgia´s avatar

What hope have we got when some of you cant even figure out my sex and where i am.........it states everyting on my profile,,,she?...Costa Del Sol?....you think you know the market in my town and you are 300 miles out geographically!!....i would suggest from that that everything else you have made assumptions about is equally suspect...Harry...from your comments i suggest your nurse lowers the medication slightly?..oh its good to be back...pmsl.

Know the market......carry on making assumptions.

Like 0      
18 Dec 2012 2:52 PM by Harry07 Star rating. 205 posts Send private message

Highly "professional" response to the market FACTS presented by Moncapitan !

PS: Had hoped we could be spared this kind of hissy fit !!!!

This message was last edited by Harry07 on 18/12/2012.

Like 0      
18 Dec 2012 5:14 PM by Roly2 Star rating in Almeria. 646 posts Send private message

Well to be fair, Georgia is usually a female name - and I certainly don't read people profile.  I assume that most are made up anyway!!  And if you come on as an estate agent then of course no one is going to believe anything you say - just like they don't believe lawyers..........

Like 0      
18 Dec 2012 9:18 PM by moncapitan Star rating in South by South West. 117 posts Send private message

Thanks Harry and Roly.

No offense was intended to Georgia - I did not check the profile to know she was a he and was merely joking regarding the sales

on the Costa Del Sol.

All the information is available in this thread and people can make up their own minds as to the state of the Spanish house market.

My opinion has been stated but if more information can be provided for a bullish case I would be interested to review it because the statistics point to an accelerating trend of collapse and Spain is going to be in the crosshairs in 2013.

Declaration: I do not reside in Spain or own property there - but like the country and people very much.

Like 0      
19 Dec 2012 1:53 AM by Harry07 Star rating. 205 posts Send private message

"All the information is available in this thread and people can make up their own minds as to the state of the Spanish house market. My opinion has been stated but if more information can be provided for a bullish case I would be interested to review it because the statistics point to an accelerating trend of collapse and Spain is going to be in the crosshairs in 2013."

Absolutely Moncapiton. This is an excellent thread & so lets focus on the FACTS & avoid childish hissy fits if anyone is incapable of responding in a calm professional manner. All we have heard thus far is a few little anecdotal stories to make case that one region is defying the national trend !!

Cheers,

Harry

This message was last edited by Harry07 on 19/12/2012.

Like 0      
19 Dec 2012 8:42 AM by tamaraessex Star rating in Colmenar, Malaga. 508 posts Send private message

tamaraessex´s avatar
I don't think there have been claims that one area is bucking the trend. People can only give their experience of the patch they know. What always confuses me about threads like this is what relevance it has for an individual who actually wants to move to Spain? It has to be accepted that prices here are low right now. Yes, of course there are learned articles written and statistics published which say prices will drop further. I don't have any inside knowledge and am more than prepared to believe that this is true. But I wasn't going to wait another two years in order to save €10,000 on a purchase price .... When who knows what might happen to the exchange rate / the euro / the pound in that time?

Research is good, narrowing down your preferred area is good, viewing properties and watching prices is good, following forums like this is good. But in the end if someone actually DOES want to live in Spain, it's about seeing a house and deciding "That house suits me, is affordable for me, and my life will be enhanced if I buy it now, move into it and get on with LIVING in Spain rather than endlessly reading about Spanish house prices."

The really interesting statistic that Georgia published (in my opinion) was the exceptionally low number of his clients needing mortgages. That speaks volumes. The agent I bought through said the same. Northern European buyers are taking the opportunity to buy nice (not undesirable) houses at very good prices just now, paying cash. Sometimes "the market" is irrelevant. It's just about buying a home you love at a price you can afford.

Blog about settling into a village house in the Axarquía. http://www.eyeonspain.com/blogs/tamara.aspx

Like 0      
19 Dec 2012 9:23 AM by Harry07 Star rating. 205 posts Send private message

Moncapiton's thread centres on an "objective discussion of Spanish house prices/trends". Hopefully, he will correct me if I am misguided.

Unsure how someone might feel if they bought a few years back based on life enhancement if value had since dropped 60%. Perhaps, they would be just as happy - dunno !

Harry

Like 0      
19 Dec 2012 10:14 AM by Roly2 Star rating in Almeria. 646 posts Send private message

Well, in normal times, I think tamaraessex would be spot on and it really does not matter what the price falls too or rises too if you love the house and it is where you want to be.  Unfortunately, we are not in a normal cycle - and I believe a lot of Brits feel panicky and trapped and this will become an increasing problem.   Most people want to pass something on to the children and if all they have is a house in Spain, virtually worthless, then life takes on a very different aspect.   I am not in this position, but I believe that there is a growing feeling of discontent among those who sold up and moved to Spain.   It is very sad especially as it presents as a dislike of all things Spanish and a burning desire to return to the UK - which is often impossible given the state of the property market in Spain.  

Like 0      

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | ... | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Property Nightmare resolved! - 4 posts
Should the "bad bank" demolish or finish the properties? - 12 posts
Merry Xmas - 0 posts
Name and Shame list for tax cheats - 6 posts
Nie or passport numbers needed when buying goods. - 7 posts
Looking for printers of calendars and promotional products in Murica/Alicante region - 2 posts
home page on my laptop - 2 posts
Astra 1N, 2F & 2E satellite change over information & reception maps UK TV Spain - 0 posts
Nox-Bellcow successfully developed a new kind of tencel spunlace - 0 posts
210 on-line return no charge - 20 posts
The Three Wise Men were from Spain! - 9 posts
Anyone know of a Chimney Sweep in The Sotogrande area? - 4 posts
Really Good Value Christmas Day Meal - 0 posts
Coming to Formentera Del Segura and question please! - 2 posts
Non-Resident Tax, what you need to know - 0 posts
Need help - 2 posts
proof of income for nie number - 3 posts
Spanish language help - 2 posts
Sabinillas area air conditioning service - 2 posts
Mugged by Spanish Taxman? Any Advice - 1 posts
My first post - 6 posts
New Condado Buyer from CAM but not had mortgage offer after 6 weeks?? - 1 posts
Best Bank for ExPats. - 7 posts
Louise Clark - 5 posts
Graphic Designers or Gifted Amateurs - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 158

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x