Best Bank for ExPats.

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
11 Dec 2012 5:56 PM by Jualsy Star rating. 5 posts Send private message

Is Sol Bank still highly recommended by Forum members?? The other postings were quite old, and I know things have changed a lot recently. I just closed my account by CAM/Sabbatell and want to know where would be recommended?

Like 0      
11 Dec 2012 6:19 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Sol Bank charged me over £800 to transferred sterling to another bank. 

That was 05% on three whole amount and was despite me asking them before hand how I  could avoid that kind of charge.

So they are not my favourite  bank.  

Avoid them like the plague

Like 0      
11 Dec 2012 11:19 PM by Mungry Star rating. 329 posts Send private message

I opened 2 accounts.

One BBVA and one Sol bank.
I have since closed my BBVA because they were just impossible to work with and frustrating.

Solbank i have been very happy with and even opened a second account for my bills.
When i go in one branch they come round the counter to say hello.
The other one they phone me and email me for various things.

But solbank does hit you with a few charges that i am personally happy to pay because i get premium service.

i coldnt stay away from you miserable whining whingers for some reason

Like 0      
12 Dec 2012 10:14 AM by formentera costa Star rating. 368 posts Send private message

I have always used lloyds international (previously

called banco halifax) for over 5 years now and I

have always found them to be excellent, also all

the staff have to be able to speak english

coolyes

Like 0      
12 Dec 2012 11:45 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Mungry
                             Interestingly, BBVA was the first bank I got mugged by, about 13 years ago,  when they charged me 0.4% on the whole sum in Pesetas then, to  transfer money to another bank.

In that case I managed to get £200 of their charge of £400 refunded when I treatened to publise my experience.

That was why I asked Sol Bank before I did anything, what was the least expensive  MO. But as I said, transferring from a sterling investment account to another sterling account at another bank cost me 0.5% of the whole amount, in my case that was over £800, for one transfer.

So If you bank with Sol Bank, then do not invest with them is there is any chance you may actually want to withdraw your money.   Day to day banking, small amount,  D/Ds etc are probably at little risk.

Like 0      
12 Dec 2012 12:39 PM by CostaBlade Star rating in Riviera. 114 posts Send private message

We are thinking of trying Cajamar, our community banks with them, and as President i have found them to be very helpful. Also their website banking is much better to work with than Lloyds International who we currently bank with. Not knocking Lloyds really we have been with them for nearly Ten years, they are very helpful and as one poster mentioned they all speak english, it's just their on-line banking i find frustrating, every time i log-on and try to do things it frustrates me and i threaten to move banks.

Like 0      
12 Dec 2012 12:48 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Costa,

I am not prepared to suggest which bank, or for that matter any other entity, is the best, as one’s personal experience and the local service plays a significant part in that.

That said. I have banked with Cajamar for over 10 years, as too has my wife and my son.

Mind you, even though I have known the manageress for around 15 years and have always had a good deal,  I never to anything, like transferring money, requesting a new service etc.,  without asking specific questions.

One should never assume that the Spanish way is the same, or even similar, to that in any other country.  Always ask about everything.

Like 0      
12 Dec 2012 12:58 PM by CostaBlade Star rating in Riviera. 114 posts Send private message

John. You are absolutly correct in your comments.

As i have said to many people, and on here, research, research, reseach, keep asking questions, never do anything in Spain before before you have done that.

I am often amazed at the trouble people get themselves simply because they don't do the obvious, research, ask and ask again.

It's not rocket science !

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Louise Clark - 5 posts
Graphic Designers or Gifted Amateurs - 0 posts
The best accommodation at Madrid or Seville - 0 posts
Transferring National Insurance payment from UK to Spain related to Pensions - 3 posts
Paying errears using the Form 210 'La Renta' tax - 1 posts
ood Shopping/Villa Provision Service on Costa del Sol - 6 posts
At last printed off my 210 tax return using chrome - 8 posts
TRAMPOLÍN - A MONUMENTAL FRAUD - 6 posts
Please search first before posting a question - 0 posts
Driving Licence Change - David Rowe Spain - 0 posts
The unknown - 16 posts
buying a car in spain - 1 posts
is football becoming more popular or less popular in spain these years? - 1 posts
Internet Slang - 1 posts
New in the forum - 2 posts
New Group on Facebook - 1 posts
rezoning of Commercial Property to Residental use - 0 posts
Flea market at Hipodromo - 6 posts
From Thailand to Spain. Good idea or not? - 41 posts
Majestic Hills - 1 posts
Shouldn't Spanish schools all teach in Spanish (Castilian)? - 22 posts
Living in Spain and managing a UK business - 2 posts
Loss of Sky TV! - 3 posts
Spanish contract law question - Malaga airline - 0 posts
Guard Dog for sale! - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 8

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x