Name and Shame list for tax cheats

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
13 Dec 2012 11:09 PM by eos_ian Star rating in Valencia. 506 posts Send private message

eos_ian´s avatar

The Finance Minister Cristóbal Montoro said today that the government is considering making public a list of tax dodgers and people who are behind on their tax payments in line with the system that already exists in countries such as Britain and Ireland. I honestly wasn't aware that such a sytem existed in the UK. He said the list would be comprehensive, including all of those with overdue debts owing to the tax office, regardless of their social status. “I can’t understand all this secrecy and caution,” he said. So to what extent does this list go to, is it just for companies or for individuals aswell? Can anyone shed some light on this?

Is it actually legal? Surely it would infringe privacy rights. Has it actually worked in the UK?

Ian :   EOS TEAM MEMBER 

www.eyeonspain.com/blogs/ianandspain.aspx

Like 0      
14 Dec 2012 11:36 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

What a waste of time and more money.

Why not just efficiently chase up those who are in breach of the law and owe tax ?  

Then penalise them severely to encourage all the others to come forward.. 

Why do governments not do the obvious ?

Like 0      
14 Dec 2012 6:13 PM by El alamillo Star rating in Nottingham & El Alam.... 221 posts Send private message

I have just paid mine for the Year 2011. € 400

As I have for previous years since 2005

I have been saying all along those that don't  pay.

Beware

Paying Back Tax, along with the fine imposed could amount to very much more than if you have paid it.

Not quite sure how far back they can go.

But there again if you have not paid and done a runner handing the keys to the bank. 

Who pays then ?

Perhaps

Taking a Holiday in Spain in later years could you get your coller felt at immigration

Like 0      
14 Dec 2012 6:36 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

This story is not based on people who have not paid a few hundred euros, but those who have defrauded the country of hundreds of thousands and maybe more.

In Spain, action to recover charges etc can be taken up to four years, however, if action has been started then there is no limit.  Maybe in a case where the preson being pursued cannot be traced as they have moved address.

Like 0      
14 Dec 2012 8:51 PM by BrianLA Star rating in Nottingham/Los Alcaz.... 16 posts Send private message

There is no such system in the UK. All tax records are regarded as private under UK tax law.

The recent controversy over the amount of corporation tax which some large companies have avoided paying has been exacerbated by HMRC officials stating at the Parliamentary Public Accounts Committee hearing that they cannot disclose any details of any tax paid or unpaid by any individual, private limited company or PLC.

Like 0      
14 Dec 2012 9:58 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Brian
                 There is no such system in the UK. All tax records are regarded as private under UK tax law.       

Not exactly correct.   

That was why II said in another thread,   “I also know (from professional experience) that Hacienda regularly exchange info on the internet with HMRC in UK.   They have considerably more legal access to UK tax info than the police in UK have.”

Like 0      
15 Dec 2012 10:22 PM by eos_ian Star rating in Valencia. 506 posts Send private message

eos_ian´s avatar

Thats odd that you say there is no system in the UK for naming and shaming, I would have thought it was against the law anyway, but I read it on several national newspaper headlines :  " similar to the lists used in the UK and Ireland". I'm not sure what they are referring to then.

Ian :   EOS TEAM MEMBER 

www.eyeonspain.com/blogs/ianandspain.aspx

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Nie or passport numbers needed when buying goods. - 7 posts
Looking for printers of calendars and promotional products in Murica/Alicante region - 2 posts
home page on my laptop - 2 posts
Astra 1N, 2F & 2E satellite change over information & reception maps UK TV Spain - 0 posts
Nox-Bellcow successfully developed a new kind of tencel spunlace - 0 posts
210 on-line return no charge - 20 posts
The Three Wise Men were from Spain! - 9 posts
Anyone know of a Chimney Sweep in The Sotogrande area? - 4 posts
Really Good Value Christmas Day Meal - 0 posts
Coming to Formentera Del Segura and question please! - 2 posts
Non-Resident Tax, what you need to know - 0 posts
Need help - 2 posts
proof of income for nie number - 3 posts
Spanish language help - 2 posts
Sabinillas area air conditioning service - 2 posts
Mugged by Spanish Taxman? Any Advice - 1 posts
My first post - 6 posts
New Condado Buyer from CAM but not had mortgage offer after 6 weeks?? - 1 posts
Best Bank for ExPats. - 7 posts
Louise Clark - 5 posts
Graphic Designers or Gifted Amateurs - 0 posts
The best accommodation at Madrid or Seville - 0 posts
Transferring National Insurance payment from UK to Spain related to Pensions - 3 posts
Paying errears using the Form 210 'La Renta' tax - 1 posts
ood Shopping/Villa Provision Service on Costa del Sol - 6 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 7

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x