what I can't find in Mercadonna

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
30 Oct 2012 5:31 PM by Johnmcmahon Star rating. 335 posts Send private message

decent hot  chillies, corn flour, yeast, decent soy sauce, hard wheat bread flour, whole spices in large packets,(coriander seed, cummin seed, fenugreek seed, cardamom seed, fenugreek dried leaf 'methi'.....

any ideas ?

Like 0      
30 Oct 2012 10:28 PM by tamaraessex Star rating in Colmenar, Malaga. 508 posts Send private message

tamaraessex´s avatar
Could you give us an idea what province you are in? We have a great spice shop in my village but no point recommending it if it's 1000 kilometres from where you are!

Blog about settling into a village house in the Axarquía. http://www.eyeonspain.com/blogs/tamara.aspx

Like 0      
31 Oct 2012 5:46 AM by johnmcmahon Star rating. 335 posts Send private message

Murcia.........it's the Mercadonna in San Pedro del Pinatar, but the supermarkets in La Manga were just as deficient

Like 0      
31 Oct 2012 6:38 AM by 66d35 Star rating. 243 posts Send private message

Wholefood shop? Local markets?

No idea if you have one close. but DIA supermarkets often carry a range of spices in large packets.

Like 0      
31 Oct 2012 7:49 AM by Geoff y Pat Star rating in Torre Guil / Sutton .... 90 posts Send private message

Hi John, chillies are a problem, I don't think the spanish cook Indian and Thai food.  We always bring green and red chillies with us which last about three weeks in the fridge max. We also bring the whole spices with us as we cannot manage to survive 4 to 6 weeeks without spicy food,  I will keep an eye on this thread because I am sure there must be a Asian shop somewhere in the region.  (we live about 12 klicks from Murcia City)   I suppose the best place to find this type of shop would be near Torrevieja.

Anyway back to blighty on Saturday and I am looking forward to a Nagga chicken balti on Saturday night (already booked a table) in one of our locals, it's called Bollywood.  ymmmm

Buen suerte

Geoff

Like 0      
31 Oct 2012 8:42 AM by nigel188 Star rating in Estepona. 656 posts Send private message

Hi John

Found this another forum

"For anyone who is interested, the Asian supermarket in Alicante is in Calle Italia, 15, which is near the old bus station. As Lyn states, it is very well stocked and very reasonable. Best Rob"

also try these two online shops and this andalusian forum titled asian food supplies.

http://www.iberochina.com/shop/index.php
http://www.saboresmundo.com/

http://www.andalucia.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=20046

Good Luck

Regards

Nigel

Like 0      
31 Oct 2012 9:06 AM by tamaraessex Star rating in Colmenar, Malaga. 508 posts Send private message

tamaraessex´s avatar
Ok my local is no good. It's a little Spanish spice shop and she gets in anything she doesn't normally stock. 40k north of Málaga. But perhaps look for the little shops and market stalls, rather then supermarkets?

Blog about settling into a village house in the Axarquía. http://www.eyeonspain.com/blogs/tamara.aspx

Like 0      
31 Oct 2012 10:16 AM by Lifeline Star rating in Murcia. 365 posts Send private message

Lifeline´s avatar

There was a marvellous Iranian shop near the Aquapark in Torrevieja which had all the food you are mentioning. Sadly it closed and we have not found another like it. Spanish don't eat spicy foods.

Daveil

Like 0      
31 Oct 2012 10:39 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

I think you will find Mercadona do have  corn flour -  harina de maíz,
and yeast - levadura

Often the problem for non Spanish speakers is not being able to ask.

We can buy loose spices, very large selection, in our weekly our door market.

We also have several Chinese food shops, for chillies etc.   I used to grow them but have not done so for a while.  They are very easy.

Like 0      
31 Oct 2012 10:53 AM by johnmcmahon Star rating. 335 posts Send private message

Johnzx

maize flour isn't the same as cornflour..........I'm talking about the very finel powder (same consistancy as custard powder). The stuff you mix with cold water and add to stews etc. to thicken

the levadura isn't  yeast it's baking powdwer (bicarbonate soda)

thanks for your help though

Like 0      
31 Oct 2012 11:04 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Maize flour is a thicken agent, to all intents and purposes it is corn flour

From Wiki Answers
:
This is one of those instances in which the differences between UK English, US English, and possibly Australian English become much more apparent.

The finely powdered white starch of maize grain is called cornflour in the UK, but cornstarch in the US. Wheat starch is called cornflour in Australia. Maize flour, the coarser grind, is called cornflour sometimes in the US, but more frequently it's called cornmeal. Cornflour can also refer to masa harina, the flour of hominy, which is dried corn cooked with lime-water. Hominy was a discovery of mesoamerican cultures.

levadura (en polvo) is baking pwoder

Levadura is yeast. I have made bread with it.

Like 0      
31 Oct 2012 11:17 AM by mac75 Star rating in Valencia. 414 posts Send private message

mac75´s avatar

What you need is "harina fina de maiz" which is Corn flour as johnzx mentioned. Brand "La Maizena" is what I use. It is used exactly for what you are looking for, to thicken stews etc and you mix it with water.

maize = corn it comes from the Spanish Maiz = Corn so it's the same thing in culinary terms. What you want is fine not course flour to mix with water.

"levadura" is in fact Yeast as Johnzx well mentioned, but the packaging in Spain can be deceptive. "baking powder" is Bicarbonate Soda but it also carries other agents like starch. It is what is most common in the supermarkets as it is used for cakes and bread. So if you can find pure "levadura" that is yeast. Check the ingredients on the packet.

A donde el corazón se inclina, el pie camina.

Like 0      
31 Oct 2012 11:23 AM by johnmcmahon Star rating. 335 posts Send private message

thanks for the info Johnzx

it's cornstarch I'm looking for then. I reckon if I used the coarser ground stuff with water it would go lumpy. The starch is soluble which is why I use it in water/soy sauce mixes.

I'll look out for the Levadura....I've obviouly bought the wrong stuff

Like 0      
31 Oct 2012 11:24 AM by mac75 Star rating in Valencia. 414 posts Send private message

mac75´s avatar

You won't find any of the things you are really looking for in Mercadona now or ever. It doesn't cater for internactional food, it is a neihbourhood supermarket and very strict on offering what the locals really need and want. Coice or selection is not is priority.

Carrefour have started an international section, at least in my local supermarket, pretty good considering there was nothing before!

In Valencia there are a lot of indian and oriental supermarkets near the centre in the Ruzafa area so if you pass by stock up! What I suggest is you find your local Indian restaurant and ask them. I'm sure they'll help you. Thai food is impossible, I get my thai curry paste from Holland now and again

A donde el corazón se inclina, el pie camina.

Like 0      
31 Oct 2012 11:27 AM by johnmcmahon Star rating. 335 posts Send private message

"harina fina de maiz" which is Corn flour as johnzx mentioned. Brand "La Maizena"

right ...I'll be looking for that

ta

Like 0      
31 Oct 2012 12:03 PM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar

decent hot  chillies - Lidls.  Bought some this morning.  3 types including the hot ones.

corn flour - as said, harina de maiz.  Available in all good supermarkets.  Alternatively, Jumerca Gama have Heritage brand.

yeast - yep, levadura.  Levadura en polvo is the one to avoid.

decent soy sauce - What do you mean by "decent"?  Carrefour and Eroski do Amoy, Blue Dragon in other places, good stuff again in Lidls. (have to avoid it nowadays, I'm afraid, as it's like liquid salt - still use it in my BBQ sauce, though.

hard wheat bread flour - Jumerca Gama and the new Alcampo in La Zenia.  Gama has 3 different types.  I'm sure I also so it in Mercadona as well.  

whole spices in large packets,(coriander seed, cummin seed, fenugreek seed, cardamom seed, fenugreek dried leaf 'methi'..... - Apart from fenugreek, all the markets round here do the others in large packets.

If you make a day of it, by the bus station in Torrevieja (the one in town by the market) has a big Asian food store a few shops along.  

Like 0      
31 Oct 2012 2:18 PM by camposol Star rating in Camposol. 1406 posts Send private message

Surely it would be easier for a friend or relative in UK to send you a parcel of all your spices etc?

Like 0      
31 Oct 2012 5:06 PM by Johnmcmahon Star rating. 335 posts Send private message

can I just say a big thank you to all who've helped. I have resorted in the past to bringing out spices but I use a lot and would be looking for them in Kilo packs as small packs are really dear.

I was surprised at the lack  of fresh chillies in Mercadonna.........the one I used in Las Americas Tenerife had a much wider range of fresh herbs, chillies, ginger etc. but I gues they cater for a different market there

but if they've got them in Lidle, that's a find

I'm still adjusting to what's availlable in Murcia ......eye on spain's great for info

thanks again  everybody

Like 0      
08 Jan 2013 6:56 PM by samwal67 Star rating. 1 posts Send private message

I stock up once a year from thai food online co uk . Postage costs are not cheap (and getting dearer by the day) so I tend to have an order sent to one of my unsuspecting relatives or friends before they come out  ;)  I agree with johnzx - hot chillies are very easy to grow and the seeds are cheap.

Like 0      
08 Jan 2013 7:13 PM by Ian_n_Angie Star rating in Buckinghamshire and .... 35 posts Send private message

Thanks for an interesting read. As I am packing the car ready to leave on Friday I now intend to find a small space (well maybe not so small) to pack some spices including my thai mixes .....my absolute favourite!  

Thanks again

Angie

Like 0      

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Cranes back in the Skyline...I was amazed - 45 posts
Purchasing a Property - What are the Essentials & the Pitfalls !! - 44 posts
Samsung Galaxy wanted - 2 posts
Photos of Spain - Share some great views! - 3 posts
OLD SEWING MACHINE MANUALS - 0 posts
Advice Please - 1 posts
Camposol, properties without papers (C & mainly D) - 5 posts
Spanish succession law/ New European regulation - 16 posts
EVERGREEN ELECTRICA - 0 posts
Spanish Income Tax - 3 posts
New to site and Spain - 2 posts
I agree - have waited for telephone and internet for nearly two years - 13 posts
Could you help me to expand my business? - 22 posts
Buyubg a car. - 1 posts
buying a apartment in santa pola - 4 posts
water charges Murcia - 2 posts
New agers - 7 posts
Suma - 5 posts
Discount electrical items in/near Albox - 3 posts
Knocked over by revolving door at Alicante airport! - 0 posts
New to Costa Tropical - Almuñécar - 1 posts
Royal Bank of Mortgages - 3 posts
Corvera Airport - 23 posts
Unethical Agent - 9 posts
Contacting Endesa - 1 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 22

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x