Spanish succession law/ New European regulation

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
29 Oct 2012 2:30 PM by camposol Star rating in Camposol. 1406 posts Send private message

Like many people, we made Spanish wills leaving everything to each other, the children would then have the estate divided between them when we are gone.Recently a European reulation No 650/2012 has been approved concerning the creation of a European Certifictate of succession.This means that even if you have stated your wishes as to whom you wish everything to be left, the Spanish law of succession could be applied(2/3 to children etc) unless you have a specific clause in your will stating under which jurisdiction you wish your estate to be handled, in our case British. Of course when we made our wills 11 years ago , this clause wasn't necessary, just stating who we wished to leave it to was enough. I imagine this will affect thousands of ex pats, who, until now thought that their wishes were safe.

Apparently, Spanish wills cannot be amended. However, I do not wish to change the content, but would it be possible to add this vital clause. Could Maria, the solicitor who often writes posts on EOS, care to comment and advise.

Costa Blanca news has a feature on this , plus go to website of White and Baos, where Carlos Baos has written an article.

It's yet another thing to  worry about!

Like 0      
30 Oct 2012 2:44 PM by camposol Star rating in Camposol. 1406 posts Send private message

very surprised no answers as yet, as it is so important. Would maria de castro answer, please.

Like 0      
01 Nov 2012 6:41 PM by mac75 Star rating in Valencia. 414 posts Send private message

mac75´s avatar

"the Spanish law of succession could be applied(2/3 to children etc) unless you have a specific clause in your will stating under which jurisdiction you wish your estate to be handled"

Camposol, does this mean it is a possibility or it will be applied as standard unless you state the contrary? I assume this only applies to assets held in Spain?

A donde el corazón se inclina, el pie camina.

Like 0      
01 Nov 2012 7:00 PM by GuyT Star rating. 511 posts Send private message

@camposol "Apparently, Spanish wills cannot be amended"

I THINK this means that - as wills are recorded in Madrid - that you have to start afresh and write a new one. The good news about this is that people can't sneak in extra paragraphs and have you sign them on your deathbed.

Like 0      
02 Nov 2012 2:23 PM by camposol Star rating in Camposol. 1406 posts Send private message

It is more than a possibility-it has been approved. As i said, unless you have specifically stated in writing, in your will, that you wish your Spanish will to be treated under UK jurisdiction, it will be treated under Spanish law. People who wrote their Spanish wills years ago will presumably have to rewrite them at considerable expense, just to include this clause., even though the content remains the same. Nice little earner for solicitors. I had hoped Maria de Castro would have posted. My own solicitorsays don't rush into doing another will, but if a partner dies the consequences of this new rule could be serious. Apparently it comes into force August 2015, but one article I read stated the Spanish government had already amended its laws- so I don't know whether it'sactually applied now. That's why I hoped for expert advice.

Like 0      
08 Nov 2012 10:44 AM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

http://www.eyeonspain.com/blogs/costaluz/7985/legal-tip-841-european-inheritances.aspx

EL BLOG DE MARIA

YOUR DAILY SPANISH LAW REPORTER. HAVE IT WITH A CAFE CON LECHE.
WWW.COSTALUZLAWYERS.ES

Legal tip 841. European inheritances 
18 October 2012 @ 14:22 

Here a great link with answers and questions on European Inheritance:

http://www.notaries-of-europe.eu/files/press-releases/Successions-Q&A-07-06-12-en.pdf

1. Will the new Community rules facilitate pan-European inheritance? What are the most important 
innovations? 

The new rules introduce a number of changes which represent some significant steps forward as far as European 
citizens’ rights are concerned:

- Harmonisation of the rules governing conflicting laws which define the law applicable to inheritance at European 
level. Henceforth it will be principally the law governing the final residence of the deceased which will be applicable. 
This harmonisation will facilitate the planning of inheritance for EU citizens or for those from third countries.

- Possibility for the deceased to choose a legal system other than that of his/her habitual residence to settle his/her 
legacy. While still living, he/she may choose the law of his/her nationality via the will, or, if appropriate, via a 
succession agreement.

- The single nature of the law applicable to the inheritance. The applicable legal system will govern the entirety of the 
inheritance. Thus no distinction will be made between real estate and movable goods, as used to be the case in 
certain States such as France.

- Creation of a European Succession Certificate which will streamline the settlement of cross-border inheritance, 
particularly on matters of proof effects and legitimisation. For example, it will constitute the proof of the status of heir 
in all Member States.

- In the absence of the requirement of legalisation or a similar requirement, acceptance and  circulation  of 
authenticated deeds within the European Union are facilitated by the rules.

2. As a European citizen resident in an EU country other than that of my nationality, I should like at this 
time to draw up a will and select the law which applies to my legacy. Is this possible? 

The rules will become applicable  in the summer of 2015. However, thanks to the temporary provisions of the rules, 
European citizens will be able to select the legal system applicable to their success as soon as it comes into force 
(summer of 2012).

In order to ensure that their choice is clear, they may, if appropriate, call on the services of a Notary. As a general rule,
the www.successions-europe.eu website provides an overview of the right of inheritance in the Member States in 23 
languages. This is an ideal tool for identifying basics answers to questions before calling in the Notary.

3. May I select the inheritance law of one specific State even if I do not reside there?

Yes, but this choice is exclusively limited by the rules deriving from the laws of the nationality of the deceased.

4. What happens where there are no immediate heirs? Is an international search for heirs undertaken?
The rules propose no solution to the matter of a search for heirs. The law of the court seised continues to govern the 
matter of discovering whether, and where appropriate, in what way the relevant authority should proceed to search for 
heirs.

5. Which laws are applicable outside of Europe?

Outside of Europe, the question of the law applicable to inheritance continues to be settled differently. In some countries 
priority is given to the law of nationality, while in others, to the law of last residence. Others still make a distinction 
between real estate (the law of the location of the real estate) and movable goods (the law of the habitual residence). In 
the absence of legislative authority, European regulations are, of course, in no position to settle these differences in 
other countries.

Within the European Union, however, these new  rules on conflict of laws are universally applicable, including for 
residents of non-EU Member States. Hence the legacy of a Chinese living in Poland will henceforth be governed by 
Polish law, notwithstanding the right of the deceased when living to select Chinese law. It should be noted that Denmark, 
the UK and Ireland have not adopted the rules.

6. On tax questions, do the new rules change anything?

The rules do not apply to fiscal matters and have no effect on death duties to be paid by heirs.

We will be happy to assist you with these matters too! If you want, you can contact us at web@costaluzlawyers.es

Kindest,

María 

Playa de Valdevaqueros, Isla de Tarifa y el Puerto de Tanger al fondo

"Playa de Valdevaqueros, Isla de Tarifa y el Puerto de Tanger al fondo", Tarifa, Cadiz, Southern Spain, by Chodaboy, at flickr.com

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
08 Nov 2012 2:43 PM by camposol Star rating in Camposol. 1406 posts Send private message

Maria-thankyou. what is the significance of UK and Ireland not adopting these rules ? what happens to those of us who made Spanish  years ago. leaving everything to each other, but of course at that time had no need to incude a specific clause stating which law was to apply to our wills. Have we to completely re write the wills-more expense- or can existing wills be amended?What happens in the case of having a Spanish will for spanish assets, and a UK will for UK assets-does this new ruling change things?

Like 0      
08 Nov 2012 3:09 PM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

If you have UK or Irish Nationality, these new regulation does not apply to you.

You are under Law of Nationality unless your last address is in Spain and your only asset is a real estate asset in Spain. In this case, Spanish Sucession Law apply.

Kindest,

Maria

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
08 Nov 2012 3:21 PM by camposol Star rating in Camposol. 1406 posts Send private message

I'm slightly confused. I am British have a Spanish house, jointly owned, and a joint Spanish bank account; you said if the last address( do you mean the one before coming to Spain, or my present one) is in Spain Spanish succession law applies. Does this mean that even if I have stated in my will that I leave my half of the property to him, my wishes will not be allowed?

Like 0      
08 Nov 2012 3:52 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Reading this I was reminded that if one has made a Will in Spain, subsequent to one in the UK,  then  the UK is (probably) invalid, as it shows            'My Last Will and Testament'  and of course the Spanish one was after that !!!!

Like 0      
08 Nov 2012 3:56 PM by camposol Star rating in Camposol. 1406 posts Send private message

johnx-as advised we made a will in the UK to cover UK assets, and a Spanish will to cover Spanish assets. Therefore  it doesn't matter which was made first. I think you are referring to wills which cover ALL assets worldwide.

Like 0      
08 Nov 2012 4:00 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Campo

Correct,  but I would be surprised if most people making a Will in the UK,  maybe years before they had any assets in Spain, would have been aware that such a clause should be added.

I added the post for the benefit of those who did not know, not for those who did.

This message was last edited by johnzx on 08/11/2012.

Like 0      
08 Nov 2012 4:09 PM by camposol Star rating in Camposol. 1406 posts Send private message

johnx- the clause stating which jurisdiction should apply is for the Spanish will -does not include UK.  I agree that 10 years ago this clause was not required, all that had to be done was make your wishes known in a Spanish will. This clause about jurisdiction has only just come about as part of this  new ruling, and a damned nuisance it is too, has caused complications for those of us only doing what was advised. This ruling does not include UK.

Like 0      
08 Nov 2012 4:16 PM by pumpkin Star rating in Essex & San Cayetano. 110 posts Send private message

pumpkin´s avatar

Just to throw this into the mix.  When we made our UK Wills my partner and I were advised to include wording to explicitly state that they covered our assets in Spain as well as the UK.  When we were completing on our Spanish property and making our Spanish Wills we were advised to limit the wording to only cover our assets in Spain.  I have since had conversations with other legal entities on this subject and can't get anyone to agree on whether we should leave the UK Wills as they stand or alter them to specifically exclude our Spanish assets!

Like 0      
08 Nov 2012 4:20 PM by camposol Star rating in Camposol. 1406 posts Send private message

It's a nightmare and the potential for problems when someone dies is enormous; we put our trust in professionals and then get different answers from them. At the end of the day they are our assets, how and to whom we wish to dispose of them is our business. It's not for Spain to overide our wishes . I can't wait to leave this country and be able to sleep at night.

This message was last edited by camposol on 08/11/2012.

Like 0      
08 Nov 2012 4:29 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Campsol, At the end of the day they are our assets, how and to whom we wish to dispose of them is our business.

Sorry I cannot agree with you.,

If we chose to live in Spain then we cannot complain that Spanish laws apply to us.

Just because we are English we cannot drive left !

Like 0      
09 Nov 2012 2:29 PM by camposol Star rating in Camposol. 1406 posts Send private message

johnx-that is one very unfair law!-time it was changed, not just to suit expats, but all Spanish. A  Spanish solicitor agreed with this view, and I bet plenty more do too.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

EVERGREEN ELECTRICA - 0 posts
Spanish Income Tax - 3 posts
New to site and Spain - 2 posts
I agree - have waited for telephone and internet for nearly two years - 13 posts
Could you help me to expand my business? - 22 posts
Buyubg a car. - 1 posts
buying a apartment in santa pola - 4 posts
water charges Murcia - 2 posts
New agers - 7 posts
Suma - 5 posts
Discount electrical items in/near Albox - 3 posts
Knocked over by revolving door at Alicante airport! - 0 posts
New to Costa Tropical - Almuñécar - 1 posts
Royal Bank of Mortgages - 3 posts
Corvera Airport - 23 posts
Unethical Agent - 9 posts
Contacting Endesa - 1 posts
House improvement not quite right - What next? - 11 posts
english van re importation - 23 posts
Fifty Shades of Oh My Gawd....v.2 - 5 posts
Clarification of the Horizontal Law of Property - 23 posts
van space - 3 posts
Bankia bail out (Mortgages) - 4 posts
INDIAN MEAL IN LOS MONTESIMOS???????? - 18 posts
Card Craft shops - 2 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 17

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x