Corvera Airport

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
26 Oct 2012 9:06 AM by ms51 Star rating in uk/Los Alcazares. 100 posts Send private message

Soooooooooo now they seem to have the flight paths sorted out, when will we know what airlines will fly in/out  ? does anyone know anything. I have already booked my July flights into San Javier with Easyjet , wonder if it will change ?

MS51

Like 0      
26 Oct 2012 9:59 AM by steone Star rating in Santiago de la Riber.... 383 posts Send private message

Although the fat lady has not yet sung it seems almost certain that she will!   Corvera most prob. will open next year. According to The Courier it will be April  and according to MurciaToday it will be summer next year. For those who would prefer San Javier to remain open you can always quote the saying, 'theres many a slip between cup and lip'. As usual good news for some but bad news for others.

The only ray of hope for San Javier to stay open will be the news that AENA has granted a licence for a concession which will mean that they then can not then close the airport because of the legal implications regarding the licence. One can only live in hope.

Like 0      
26 Oct 2012 11:38 AM by inspectahomespain Star rating in Orihuela Costa, Spai.... 2417 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

As I have mentioned before on the forum I live very close to the new airport and rent properties to some managers at the airport

Yes the airport will open in April and they are carrying out extensive works around the area to get things ready, clearing the temporary outbuildings, moving to a permanent security entrance, new signs and general cleaning

The airport website is operational http://www.airm.es/ and now has regular news but there is still the hurdle of moving the staff

It is worth looking at the website as one of the interesting things in the specification is that there are 2 air bridges but their use is not compulsory, perhaps a clue here to a potential larger airline user

Like 0      
26 Oct 2012 11:47 AM by ms51 Star rating in uk/Los Alcazares. 100 posts Send private message

Hi Roy

Thanks for the link looks good, BUT does anyone know yet what airlines will be flying in/out of there ?

ms51

Like 0      
26 Oct 2012 11:49 AM by inspectahomespain Star rating in Orihuela Costa, Spai.... 2417 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

If as planned they transfer everything across from San Javier it will be the current airlines flying into San Javier

Like 0      
27 Oct 2012 7:34 AM by steone Star rating in Santiago de la Riber.... 383 posts Send private message

Nobody knows at the moment which, if any, of the airlines that fly into San Javier will transfer to Corvera. The ONLY way that any airline will fly there is the charges that they will have to pay. The likes Mr. O'Leary will only use an airport if the charges he has to pay for landing etc. are low. We all know the Spanish attitude to charging anyone for anything which is, if they do not get enough people using their service then they increase their prices. So with the massive amount of money spent on building Corvera it seems unlikely that they will be giving 'foreign' airlines freebies. To me it seems incredible that an area that is trying to attract passengers to a 'holiday destination' should move the airport from being on the coast to somewhere about 30 minutes drive inland. All that being said it will be interesting to see what happens over the next 5 years as to the possibility that Corvera will have 'gone bust', San Javier will be solely military and everyone going into Alicante. Only time will tell.

Like 0      
27 Oct 2012 8:30 AM by inspectahomespain Star rating in Orihuela Costa, Spai.... 2417 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

I think that the biggest clue to the reason that the airport will open and the differences to  its objectives are in the name, Región de Murcia International Airport, an international airport which is ventrally located to service  the whole of the region and not just the beach resorts of the coast and as importantly flights from outside Europe  

The investment made hasn't just been in the airport building but also in the extensive road infrastructure so that people can easily travel into the city and the coastal areas around Mazzaron and Aguilas 

This week I will be attending a round table discussion about residential tourism, with a fairly senior group of delegates, which is to debate tourism being the key work because the key objective of the airport is to attract visitors to the region as a whole and not just as described holiday makers for the beach and sun.

It is worth taking a look at the interesting analysis on the airport website which breaks down visitors to the area by nationality, but one interesting comment from their website

Transparent, impartial and simple, it offers a general per departing passenger charge considerably lower than other airports in the vicinity, as well as additional discounts based on passenger volumes, not available in comparable airports

Like 0      
27 Oct 2012 4:25 PM by ms51 Star rating in uk/Los Alcazares. 100 posts Send private message

I really hope your last comment about flying into Alicante is wrong Stephen, the Mar Menor would miss out on so many visitors, and places like Lorca that need all the tourists they can get.

Like 0      
27 Oct 2012 5:09 PM by inspectahomespain Star rating in Orihuela Costa, Spai.... 2417 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

it is much easier to get to Lorca from the new Corvera airport, again this is why the airport is being located there

Like 0      
27 Oct 2012 5:53 PM by ms51 Star rating in uk/Los Alcazares. 100 posts Send private message

Yes I know that, I was meaning if all the flights went into Alicante, as Stephen said IF Corvera went bust and no flights go into San Javier as it would be back to the airforce,

Like 0      
27 Oct 2012 6:18 PM by inspectahomespain Star rating in Orihuela Costa, Spai.... 2417 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

Well you actually helped in the response as to why the airport is located where it is but actually travelling miles form Alicante to Lorca 126km, San Javier to Lorca 116Km, really not much difference

Like 0      
27 Oct 2012 6:43 PM by ms51 Star rating in uk/Los Alcazares. 100 posts Send private message

Sorry but somewhere we have lost the plot, all I ever wanted to know is what airlines would be flying in ? as I have booked up to next September at San Javier

Like 0      
28 Oct 2012 8:06 AM by steone Star rating in Santiago de la Riber.... 383 posts Send private message

ms51

There is no plot to lose as Corvera is not a functioning airport yet and as such absolutely nobody knows. It is assumed that all flights that at the moment go to San Javier will automatically go to Corvera as and when it is open.

However as a thought, our favourite airline boss, Mr O'Leary, would not want to waste money or time in informing passengers of the alternative airport so it MIGHT mean that maybe some airlines will continue with San Javier up till the end of the summer season if that is allowed.

Usually the best place for information is Murciatoday. Alternatively just keep a check on your airlines web pages as they will inform passengers as soon as they know.

Like 0      
28 Oct 2012 8:15 AM by inspectahomespain Star rating in Orihuela Costa, Spai.... 2417 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

One of the key points about the change is that the staff, given the employment situation in Spain, will transfer from San Javier to the new airport and we have already seen some enquires from these staff for properties in the Corvera area

For this reason it may not be practical to operate both airports simultaneously as really the only new recruits have been the civilian air traffic control; team, the bulk of the required operations and security staff will have to transfer

Within the terms of your ticket airlines can change the  destination for situations outside of their control and this would certainly qualify

Like 0      
28 Oct 2012 2:31 PM by bbbreakfast Star rating in Bristol and Playa Fl.... 56 posts Send private message

bbbreakfast´s avatar

Call me cynical but biggest supporterof Corvera on this thread is an estate agent in the Corvera area

NO one even Spanish authorities or Aena have a clue what and when it will open bloody pipedream.

Like 0      
28 Oct 2012 2:38 PM by inspectahomespain Star rating in Orihuela Costa, Spai.... 2417 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

Actually I am not an estate agent but yes the opening of the airport will help my business but I have spent the last 6 months answering all of the rumours doing the rounds about the runway being too short, the runway breaking up, no available flight plans, no funding,

Fortunately I am used to getting my information straight from the horses mouth, a few different horses some even based at San Javier airport, not the local press

People really have to face up to the fact that this airport will open

Like 0      
28 Oct 2012 3:34 PM by bbbreakfast Star rating in Bristol and Playa Fl.... 56 posts Send private message

bbbreakfast´s avatar

Well I apologise for misrepresenting you however,I beieive you are being disillusional if you think CORVERA will be up and running by end of  2013.

And despite your inside info and in the know friends I believe your self interest is clouding your best judgement.

However I wil be the first to apologise if I am found to be wrong.

Like 0      
28 Oct 2012 3:50 PM by ms51 Star rating in uk/Los Alcazares. 100 posts Send private message

To be honest I wish San javier airport would stay as it is, it's so nice, not like the monster airport of Alicante.

But at the end of the day we have to move with the times, and play the waiting game as to when Corvera opens

Like 0      
29 Oct 2012 6:36 PM by acer Star rating. 1529 posts Send private message

I know that in Spain you take nothing for granted, but when the politicians openly state that Corvera will be "open by late Spring 2013" without any apparent ulterior motive you've got to think that it may just happen that way. 

We know everything is now in place and after the disappointment of Paramount you've got to think that the authorities will pull their finger out to make sure it happens.  Pity we cannot place bets on the date - I would go for June 2013 as the month when they receive the first commercial fare paying passenger flights.

Like 0      
29 Oct 2012 7:02 PM by floella Star rating in SE Spain. 803 posts Send private message

Well, I hope that San Javier airport stays as is because ,even though ,Corvera may be 10 mins closer to Lorca it is in the middle of nowhere. Plus I prefer the more relaxing drive via the toll road so journey time would be longer.
At least collecting or depositing visitors at SJ one can stop of for lunch at Los Alcazares or visit Iceland et al.
Anyway I never believe anything in Spain until I actually see it.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Unethical Agent - 9 posts
Contacting Endesa - 1 posts
House improvement not quite right - What next? - 11 posts
english van re importation - 23 posts
Fifty Shades of Oh My Gawd....v.2 - 5 posts
Clarification of the Horizontal Law of Property - 23 posts
van space - 3 posts
Bankia bail out (Mortgages) - 4 posts
INDIAN MEAL IN LOS MONTESIMOS???????? - 18 posts
Card Craft shops - 2 posts
Bifocals -v- Varifocals - 6 posts
November 14th General Strike - flight cancellations? - 17 posts
Electricity Charges - 0 posts
picture postcards - 0 posts
New to site. - 39 posts
Declaring cost of works to reduce tax liability - 0 posts
Spain - 8 Years Hence ?????? - 9 posts
Freesat changes - 2 posts
What grows in Spain? - 11 posts
Electricity meter - 8 posts
How to contact English Speaking Staff at Iberdrola - 1 posts
PARKING IN SEVILLE OVER CHRISTMAS - 2 posts
Laundry - 0 posts
flights - 2 posts
Television - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 24

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x