New Passport Procedures

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
15 Sep 2012 8:33 PM by MAC75 Star rating in Valencia. 414 posts Send private message

MAC75´s avatar

Shortly I will be needing to renew my Passport and I don’t want to have to go back to the UK.  I was wondering if anyone had successfully renewed their Passport though the new system launched in 2011 from Spain with out going back over to the UK. 

A donde el corazón se inclina, el pie camina.

Like 0      
15 Sep 2012 9:22 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

If you live outside the UK (in Spain for example) you send the application form, payment etc to the consulate (in Madrid).

I have been countersigning applications for Brits in Spain for the past 25 years

It is only fairly recently that people living O/S UK have been allowed to renew their passport in UK, previously it had to be in country where they l

lived.

This message was last edited by johnzx on 15/09/2012.

Like 0      
15 Sep 2012 9:26 PM by scubamike Star rating in Murcia province . 218 posts Send private message

scubamike´s avatar

My wife and I have both renewed our passports by post at different times through the consulate in Madrid using forms downloaded off the internet Both passports were returned by courier within 10days

This message was last edited by scubamike on 15/09/2012.

Like 0      
15 Sep 2012 9:36 PM by camposol Star rating in Camposol. 1406 posts Send private message

There is a huge difference in price between a passport obtained in the UK. and one in Spain

Like 0      
15 Sep 2012 9:39 PM by MAC75 Star rating in Valencia. 414 posts Send private message

MAC75´s avatar

Yes I have noticed, it is very expensive to renew the passport here. However if the sytem works it saves a flight over to the UK.

Thanks for your comments

Like 0      
16 Sep 2012 1:37 AM by aly not in spain Star rating in Not far from Torre. 74 posts Send private message

The cost difference is why some folks send their applications back to the UK with relations/friends (or even a courier service), and then have it returned the same way. Still cheaper than a flight,but loads cheaper than via Madrid.

(Please don't  'Shoot the messenger').

Like 0      
16 Sep 2012 9:19 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Just checked,  renewing in Spain, with Courier fee €197 (about £160)  in UK £72 plus postage.

Just to throw the cat among the pigeons.  As we all know, in Spain everyone MUST carry their legal ID at all times.  For us Brits the ONLY legal ID we have is our original passport or a copy certified ONLY by the  British Consul.  Thus when we send off our passport, as required by the Passport  Office to renew it,  we are ‘illegally’ in Spain. 

I raised the same question when the passports were renewed through the local consulate, and the Ambassador in Madrid authorised the consulates to allow us to keep the old passport and have it cancelled at the consulate, when the we collected the new passport.

Having worked closely with Passport Office UK in the 80’s I know there is no reason why they need the old passport when issuing a new one.

I have recently gone into this again with the British Embassy and their view is , “Yes we know, but that’s the way we do it.” 

Like 0      
16 Sep 2012 1:53 PM by formentera costa Star rating. 368 posts Send private message

hi,

my o.h. and i renewed our passports a few months ago,

we live in spain permanently so i downloaded the forms from

the goverment website.

got photos done at a local shop then took forms to my bank

(LLOYDS INTERNATIONAL) at los alcazares and a member of the

bank signed then for no charge.

also i would like to add that the passport office will check if you give an

english address so if you live here permanently officially like we do then they

will send the forms back to you and you will have to start the process all over

again and they will keep the fee and you will have to pay again

this is something i read so dont anyone start replying and say i am in the wrong please

just trying to help out

the whole process was so easy and straightfoward

coolyes

Like 0      
16 Sep 2012 2:22 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Formentera, 

As I said, it was the case that if one lived outside UK then they had to renew within that country.  However, maybe about a year ago, I spoke to the British Consulate and they assured me that as from then it was permitted to make the renewal in UK.  

I had complained about the comparative cost between  renewing in Spain and in UK.

Last year I realised that as my mother was born in the Ulster I was ‘Irish’ (I was born in London) and entitled to an Irish PP.  At that time  an Irish PP was free when one was over 60.  I now have  dual nationality. I will not be renewing  my British PP when it expires.

I also found that I got personal attention when I consulted the Irish consulate, with real people and real name and on normal telephone lines  (no  premium charges)

Like 0      
16 Sep 2012 2:26 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

Based purely on recent personal experience: don't use the so-called "check and send" service offered by Offex to send your passport renewal off to Madrid; find a local DHL office (you can find them via their website easily enough) - they're cheaper and more reliable. If you stick to official information and well known international service providers, you shouldn't go far wrong.

And yes, it's bloody expensive to renew a passport! 

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
16 Sep 2012 2:36 PM by Poppyseed Star rating. 897 posts Send private message

16 Sep 2012 10:43 PM by MAC75 Star rating in Valencia. 414 posts Send private message

MAC75´s avatar

Thanks everyone for sharing your experiences, I think I'll give it a go from here, but with a decent courier. Although my wife says I should just take out a Spanish passport, way much cheaper and she is shocked at how expensive it is. However I do believe that I would have to give up my UK passport to get a Spanish one and that is something I do not want to do.

Like 0      
24 Oct 2012 4:18 PM by casalinda Star rating in Las Alpujarras. 54 posts Send private message

My partner sent off for a new passport 2 weeks ago and although it cost about £198 (or was it euros - anyway, a lot) he has had his new one back today, couriered by DHL.  We thought about getting it posted in the UK and by-passing Madrid, but somewhere in the 'small print' online it says you can't do this, so we went for the most reliable option.  I think the cost is outrageous, but over 10 years it's not too bad...if he ever leaves Spain of course!  

Like 0      
24 Oct 2012 4:49 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Outrageous,  especially when you consider a Spanish 10 year Passport, obtainable at the nearby National Police Documentation office, for about 20 euros.

Last year I took up my right to an Irish PP, it was free last year as I was over 65, and the courier deliver was also free.

Like 0      
13 Mar 2014 9:13 PM by mariedav Star rating in Ciudad Quesada. 1223 posts Send private message

Well, here's a bit of good news. I know they said they would be looking into it when the passport was centralised and online but from 7 April the passport fee for customers applying for a UK passport overseas will be reduced by £45 for adults and £28.50 for children. The new fees are as follows: Adult 32 page passport £83.00 Child 32 page passport £53.00 Jumbo 48 page passport £91.00 (Child and Adult).

Like 3      
14 Mar 2014 8:49 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

This message was last edited by johnzx on 14/03/2014.

Like 0      
14 Mar 2014 8:59 AM by Pitby Star rating in Andalucía. 1904 posts Send private message

Pitby´s avatar

Having to apply for my son's passport renewal next month, this comes as a nice surprise!!   Thanks for info, mariedav! smiley

https://www.gov.uk/government/speeches/reduction-in-passport-fees-for-uk-citizens-overseas

Like 0      
14 Mar 2014 9:07 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

. If you are in Spain (O/S UK) then you must do it through Passport Office in Belfast. 

See https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Gas Inspection? - 7 posts
Presidents of communities - 11 posts
Pets and their control - 0 posts
IVA Increase in Spain - 12 posts
Weather forecasts on this site - 1 posts
Winter Fuel Allowance, claim before 21.9.12 - 20 posts
Ideas for nice towns between Malaga and Salobrena? - 3 posts
RHD in Spain - where do I get one - 5 posts
RHD for LHD Car - 2 posts
Long Term Let on Private Property (Landlords point of view) - 0 posts
Torrenueva, La Cala de Mijas, Malaga - 2 posts
Opel Meriva 1.7 TDi Diesel for Sale - 1 posts
greedy wife stealing inheritance from children - 0 posts
Paying tax - 1 posts
New satellite channel receiveable on 28.2 UK TV Costa Blanca - 0 posts
bad service from TELEAST..... - 0 posts
Court Success and settlement by CostaLuz - 2 posts
ENDESAONLINE ONLINE CHAT SERVICE - 0 posts
CHARITY FUN DAY FOR CHILDREN IN CARE IN ELCHE - 0 posts
spanish driving test - 0 posts
Seat belts and Child seats are still an issue in Spain! - 12 posts
has anyone put kids into state school - 18 posts
Residencia card - 28 posts
Dation and balance IV - 0 posts
Is Sterling on its way down again. - 1 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 18

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x