Winter Fuel Allowance, claim before 21.9.12

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
15 Sep 2012 8:38 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

I just received this info.

I have not check it out for correctness,  but as time is short I decided to post it immediately.

Not everyone is aware that the winter fuel allowance is now available to all British expats. Anyone not receiving this allowance must apply by 21/9/12. Forms can be downloaded from

Like 0      
15 Sep 2012 8:47 AM by tamaraessex Star rating in Colmenar, Malaga. 508 posts Send private message

tamaraessex´s avatar
Thanks John, yes it is correct but with one proviso. You have to have been resident in the UK the FIRST time you claim. ie when you turn 60. Once you've made your first claim, you can change to your Spanish address and then have it year after year.

I'm not eligible for a few years yet, but went through the process with my ex, and he got it last year via his UK address, and can now have it in Spain.

Dunno how "legal" that rule is but l'm sure someone will tell us! I'm merely saying how it is :-)

Blog about settling into a village house in the Axarquía. http://www.eyeonspain.com/blogs/tamara.aspx

Like 0      
15 Sep 2012 8:48 AM by tamaraessex Star rating in Colmenar, Malaga. 508 posts Send private message

tamaraessex´s avatar

This message was last edited by tamaraessex on 15/09/2012.

Blog about settling into a village house in the Axarquía. http://www.eyeonspain.com/blogs/tamara.aspx

Like 0      
15 Sep 2012 8:57 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

I understand that things have changed as a result of a very recent EU finding. 

Does anyone have the full info on this  please ?

I just received this info.

I have not check it out for correctness,  but as time is short I decided to post it immediately.

Not everyone is aware that the winter fuel allowance is now available to all British expats. Anyone not receiving this allowance must apply by 21/9/12. Forms can be downloaded from

This message was last edited by johnzx on 15/09/2012.

Like 0      
15 Sep 2012 9:34 AM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar

That info is out of date, tamaraessex.

Qualifying by age this year will mean you have to have been born before 5 July 1951 (it mirrors the women's state pension age).  A recent EU ruling said the residency rule of living in UK was unfair and that all British citizens living in the EEA reaching that age should get the allowance.

Whereas the award was automatic when reaching the age stipulated, you now have to apply for it.  You have to prove a "genuine and sufficient link with the UK" to get it.  Therefore it is not going to be payable to "all" expats but will bring a lot more people into the net.  

However, you may find this is a double edged sword.  The government is not happy about having to pay everyone living in Europe this allowance (remember it will also be able to be claimed by those in the Canary Islands and other places which hardly get cold in the winter) and may bring in a temperature clause.  The extra payments will raise the cost from £30 million (the amount currently paid to expats) to £100 million a year.  You may find that, even if you were eligible under the old rules, you may lose the allowance in future if the temperature for a certain amount of time each day rule is brought in (as will, likely, those who live in the SE of England as well).  But until that comes in, fill in the claim form and send it off, but not to the International Pension Centre in Newcastle as some sites are saying.  The address to send it to is:

Winter Fuel Payment Team
Department for Work and Pensions
PO Box 10142
Annesley
Nottingham
NG15 5WY

Still, I suppose the £200 per household will pay for those swimming pools to get cleaned or the aircon left on all night in August.  

Like 0      
15 Sep 2012 11:46 AM by aly not in spain Star rating in Not far from Torre. 74 posts Send private message

According to the Round Town News, that date of 21/9/12 is the cut off date to receive the payment in November & December. The allowance can still be claimed until March 2013.

Like 0      
15 Sep 2012 12:37 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Claiming back payments.

As many, those who now will be able to claim, were denied the ability to claim in previous years, does anyone know if there is a possibly of claiming for the back years  ?

I would just add, for the benefit of those who would argue that we who live in Spain, should not be allowed to claim as the weather is not cold, that in reality the allowance has nothing to do with cold weather.    The ‘Cold Weather Allowance’  is a non means-tested payment in the same way as the OAP.   Either every pensioner should get it or none should.  

The ‘Cold Weather Payment’ which is based on the actual temperature,  is different from the ‘so called’ Cold Weather Allowance.

Like 0      
15 Sep 2012 12:43 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Aly, can you find the reference you quote, as i just found this on the RTN web page:-

Thursday, 13 September 2012 14:22

EXPAT PENSIONERS have started to flood the International Pensions Centre with claims for the Winter Fuel Allowance.
Although this season’s payment can be claimed until March 2013, the Department of Works and Pensions website maintained to receive the £200 payment - £300 for people aged over 80 - in November or December applications must be received by 21st September.

However, such is the numbers of expected new claims it is likely payment will not be received until the New Year. RTN was told the centre expected to be “inundated” with expat applications.
Until a historic European court judgment this year, only pensioners who began claiming the winter fuel payment before they left the UK could continue to receive it abroad – some 73,000 people.

It is now estimated more than 440,000 pensioners living in the European Economic Area or Switzerland can apply for the cash.

And the claim form WFP3 (EEA) 10/12 Winter Fuel Payment, especially for residents of EU countries, can be downloaded from the following link: http://www.direct.gov.uk/prod_consum_dg/groups/dg_digitalassets/@dg/@en/@over50/documents/digitalasset/dg_202418.pdf

The International Pensions Centre will answer any queries on 0044 191 218 7777 and completed forms should be returned to: International Pension Centre, Tyneview Park, Newcastle-upon-Tyne NE98 1BA, United Kingdom.

This message was last edited by johnzx on 15/09/2012.

Like 0      
15 Sep 2012 1:19 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

According to the form itself, you can apply until 31st March next year, for this coming winter (2012/2013), but to qualify you must meet the criteria during the week of 17-23rd September 2012, i.e. be resident in an EEA country during that week.

Bobaol, are you sure about the address? The address you gave is for claims from the UK, but the following is an extract from the site: http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Pensionsandretirementplanning/Benefits/BenefitsInRetirement/DG_198331 and gives Newcastle's address.

How to claim from abroad

If you live in an EEA country or Switzerland and do not get the Winter Fuel Payment then you need to make a claim.

To apply for a Winter Fuel Payment you can download the claim form from the following link.

Where you need to send the form

The completed forms need to be returned to:

Winter Fuel Payment Team
International Pension Centre
Tyneview Park
Newcastle Upon Tyne
NE98 1BA

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
15 Sep 2012 3:08 PM by Poppyseed Star rating. 897 posts Send private message

Roberto has given the correct info. It is all available on the offical website (the link he has posted). I have said it before and will say it again the offical website is user friendly and contains the correct info, I just don't understand why people don't check it out first before posting a question and getting well meaning but incorrect answers.

Poppyseed

Like 0      
15 Sep 2012 3:19 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Poppy
I just don't understand why people don't check it out first before posting a question and getting well meaning but incorrect answers.

I don't think there are any questions in the thread.  I started the thread to 'remind' those who wanted to, but had not do so yet, about claiming the allowance.

Like 0      
15 Sep 2012 4:11 PM by aly not in spain Star rating in Not far from Torre. 74 posts Send private message

johnzx, you've quoted what I read. To get the money paid to you in November or December, you must claim by 21/9. But claims can still be made until end of March.

I think I have read elsewhere that the government said they would not pay 'back claims', but I have no doubt that someone somewhere is currently challenging that, so keep your fingers crossed! 

Like 0      
15 Sep 2012 5:39 PM by Poppyseed Star rating. 897 posts Send private message

'I don't think there are any questions in the thread;"   OK, then also include comments, answers, opinions. I think most people would have understood the message I was trying to convey. I would also add that the English language press in Spain (and everywhere come to that) is often misleading or just plain wrong in the stuff it publishes. Anyway I wont get involved in the last word syndrome and will now leave everyone to it!

Poppyseed

Like 0      
15 Sep 2012 6:29 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

I agree some posters do get it wrong and also often the English press in Spain do too  (I have had over 1,000 readers letters published in Spain, many correcting errors) but if one wants to exclude all the posts which are wrong, how does one let the posters, who are going to make those posts, aware that they are wrong, before they do it ?

Whilst in principle your suggestion has merit it could also seriously impair the quality of debate.  Now had to said that posters ought to refrain from making personal, and rude comments,  and straying way off thread (opps, as we are doing !!!!)  I would agree 100%.

Like 0      
15 Sep 2012 8:06 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar
I sent the link to the form and all the official information to a pensioner friend of mine; a couple of weeks later, he mentioned to me that he's going to contact Age Concern about claiming his allowance. You can lead a horse to water.....

Mark Twain

Like 0      
15 Sep 2012 8:22 PM by tamaraessex Star rating in Colmenar, Malaga. 508 posts Send private message

tamaraessex´s avatar
Sorry to have been misleading. Just going from recent experience, as my ex was indeed born before 1951 and claimed earlier this year. As has been said, people do sometimes give the wrong information (though with the best intentions) but it would be a shame to ban us all!!!

Like 0      
15 Sep 2012 8:40 PM by Poppyseed Star rating. 897 posts Send private message

No suggestion of banning anyone for giving duff information (????).........my original comment was directed to the fact  that the offical government website regarding UK benefits and allowances is very user friendly and I just can't fathom why anyone with such a query/comment/remark/suggestion and anything else I haven't thought of to do with benefits and allowances doesn't first look there for up to date, factual information and save much confusion and possible inconvenience that no matter how well intentioned wrong  information can cause.  It's really quite easy so if anyone hasn't tried using  it yet perhaps you will be pleasantly surprised!

Poppyseed

Like 0      
16 Sep 2012 10:24 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Hi Poppy, 

Of course most questions posed here (as in deed in everyday life)  can often be answered by looking on the internet, but if everyone did that then this forum would all but cease to exist.  So I think we need to be tolerant.  As I am sure most of us are.

Like 0      
16 Sep 2012 10:58 AM by Poppyseed Star rating. 897 posts Send private message

Poppyseed

Like 0      
16 Sep 2012 2:28 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

As I said, you can lead a horse....

I frequently encounter tourists on my street asking which way to the beach; when I point down the hill, they often thank me politely and continue walking up the hill. Ho hum. Poppyseed, cheer yourself up by visiting the new passport renewal thread - there's a bloke down the pub who's about to post some nonsense on there!

Mark Twain

Like 0      

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Ideas for nice towns between Malaga and Salobrena? - 3 posts
RHD in Spain - where do I get one - 5 posts
RHD for LHD Car - 2 posts
Long Term Let on Private Property (Landlords point of view) - 0 posts
Torrenueva, La Cala de Mijas, Malaga - 2 posts
Opel Meriva 1.7 TDi Diesel for Sale - 1 posts
greedy wife stealing inheritance from children - 0 posts
Paying tax - 1 posts
New satellite channel receiveable on 28.2 UK TV Costa Blanca - 0 posts
bad service from TELEAST..... - 0 posts
Court Success and settlement by CostaLuz - 2 posts
ENDESAONLINE ONLINE CHAT SERVICE - 0 posts
CHARITY FUN DAY FOR CHILDREN IN CARE IN ELCHE - 0 posts
spanish driving test - 0 posts
Seat belts and Child seats are still an issue in Spain! - 12 posts
has anyone put kids into state school - 18 posts
Residencia card - 28 posts
Dation and balance IV - 0 posts
Is Sterling on its way down again. - 1 posts
Registering a Community Swimming Pool in Fuerteventura - 9 posts
Health Cover in Spain - 4 posts
moving to spain - 1 posts
Sky TV Movies Signal - 2 posts
2 major questions resulting from changes in Residency requirements and Healthcare - 31 posts
Golf & Green Fee Companies - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 21

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x