IVA Increase in Spain

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
15 Sep 2012 11:25 AM by ob123 Star rating in Southern Ireland. 191 posts Send private message

I am here in Ireland at the moment was just wondering about the IVA increase in Spain is everything included in the new higher rates, what about the price of diesel and petrol what is it now.....I just saw my internet provider OLE has put up the prices as well, can you still get a coffee and a scone for €1.50....

Like 0      
15 Sep 2012 11:36 AM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar

This mornings prices:

Diesel €1.42

Petrol 95 €1.51 but that's been going up since before the IVA rise.

Yes, the new IVA rate came in on 1st September but many shops are advertising "No increase in IVA" including Lidl, C&A  etc.  Yes, prices have gone up a little but not by much.

Coffee and scone?  Depends where you go.  For example, the seafront was €1.70 just for a coffee whereas 80 cents in a cafe round the corner (incidentally they also did a whacking great vanilla slice for a euro but well worth it).  Coffee and cake (believe it or not at the local Chinese Wok) still advertises at 1.20.  Things like bread and milk haven't gone up (although, for some reason, the English bread sold in some supermarkets has gone up).  

Tobacco has risen by the double whammy of IVA and duty (thankfully I gave up smoking some time ago) but alcohol appears much the same, unless the rises haven't hit the old stock yet.  

Like 0      
15 Sep 2012 11:48 AM by ob123 Star rating in Southern Ireland. 191 posts Send private message

Thanks for all the info I will drive back down to Spain shortly, it is still a lot cheaper than here in Ireland. hwere a bowl of soup is €5..... and it rainied all summer.....

Like 0      
15 Sep 2012 12:02 PM by ob123 Star rating in Southern Ireland. 191 posts Send private message

a litre of diesel here in Ireland is €1.59 and Petrol €1.69 very expencive

Like 0      
15 Sep 2012 1:39 PM by guslopez Star rating in Lorca, Murcia.. 745 posts Send private message

" Tobacco has risen by the double whammy of IVA and duty (thankfully I gave up smoking some time ago) but alcohol appears much the same, unless the rises haven't hit the old stock yet.  "

Err, no it hasn't . Rajoy announced some weeks back that the tobacco tax would be reduced from 55% to 53,1% to balance the rise in IVA. So that you aren't paying 'a tax on tax' .  The half-wit appears to have forgotten about tax on tax on the fuel.

Todos somos Lorca.

Like 0      
15 Sep 2012 5:59 PM by ob123 Star rating in Southern Ireland. 191 posts Send private message

So briging back tobacco to ireland is not on anymore, it's a pity Spain is in such a hole at the moment what a beautifull country to visit or live there, I have a house there with 12 Years and love Torrevieja and Cabroig beach, the one thing amazes me is there are 1000's of apartments half built and they are building more all the time, they must be mad. thanks for all the information regarding the IVA increase........

Like 0      
16 Sep 2012 10:58 PM by MAC75 Star rating in Valencia. 414 posts Send private message

MAC75´s avatar

Just took my daughter to the cinema this afternoon, and lone behold IVA has gone up from 8% to 21%.   9,40 euros a person.

Cinemas are becoming very expensive now.

A donde el corazón se inclina, el pie camina.

Like 0      
16 Sep 2012 11:00 PM by ob123 Star rating in Southern Ireland. 191 posts Send private message

That is saucy.......rip off

Like 0      
16 Sep 2012 11:03 PM by MAC75 Star rating in Valencia. 414 posts Send private message

MAC75´s avatar

YES, then add on popcorn, cokes etc. 50 euros to see a film!!!! No wonder it was half empty. Won't be going back unless a real killer of a film comes out that is really really worth it. Better off waiting and buying the DVD

A donde el corazón se inclina, el pie camina.

Like 0      
16 Sep 2012 11:19 PM by ob123 Star rating in Southern Ireland. 191 posts Send private message

An expencive evening out, but like Ireland Austerity is the name of the game now to get Spain and Ireland out of the big hole we are in, caused by greed and banks dishing out money to anyone that wanted it.....

Like 0      
17 Sep 2012 1:58 AM by gerrryuk Star rating in Mezquitilla, near To.... 179 posts Send private message

gerrryuk´s avatar

Iceland got it right ....................... They sent their evil Bankers to Jail!

Like 0      
17 Sep 2012 1:40 PM by Sanchez1 Star rating. 853 posts Send private message

VAT on golf, school materials, funerals, theatre tickets, flowers and hairdressers has also gone up from 8% to 21%. 

Thankfully with Spain being such a cash based economy, it's possible to avoid paying VAT altogether at a lot of places.

Read my blog: Spain Money Saving Tips and Offers 

Use TransferWise to send money abroad. A lot cheaper than the bank and other online currency exchanges!.

Like 0      
17 Sep 2012 5:09 PM by camposol Star rating in Camposol. 1406 posts Send private message

It would never have come to this if, years ago they had tackled the black money,  corrupt councils,chased up income tax dodgers ( many of them expats on huge pensions) reviewed the IBI to a realistic level, been stricter with health tourists etc, etc, It's the same story with Greece and Italy.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Weather forecasts on this site - 1 posts
Winter Fuel Allowance, claim before 21.9.12 - 20 posts
Ideas for nice towns between Malaga and Salobrena? - 3 posts
RHD in Spain - where do I get one - 5 posts
RHD for LHD Car - 2 posts
Long Term Let on Private Property (Landlords point of view) - 0 posts
Torrenueva, La Cala de Mijas, Malaga - 2 posts
Opel Meriva 1.7 TDi Diesel for Sale - 1 posts
greedy wife stealing inheritance from children - 0 posts
Paying tax - 1 posts
New satellite channel receiveable on 28.2 UK TV Costa Blanca - 0 posts
bad service from TELEAST..... - 0 posts
Court Success and settlement by CostaLuz - 2 posts
ENDESAONLINE ONLINE CHAT SERVICE - 0 posts
CHARITY FUN DAY FOR CHILDREN IN CARE IN ELCHE - 0 posts
spanish driving test - 0 posts
Seat belts and Child seats are still an issue in Spain! - 12 posts
has anyone put kids into state school - 18 posts
Residencia card - 28 posts
Dation and balance IV - 0 posts
Is Sterling on its way down again. - 1 posts
Registering a Community Swimming Pool in Fuerteventura - 9 posts
Health Cover in Spain - 4 posts
moving to spain - 1 posts
Sky TV Movies Signal - 2 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 13

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x