Spelcheker

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
30 Jul 2012 5:39 PM by Irene&Alan Star rating in Formentera del Segur.... 701 posts Send private message

Irene&Alan´s avatar
Dos the avrag usa yuse a spelcheker? All joking apart, am I the only person who gets hung up on spelling errors? Irene

Like 0      
30 Jul 2012 6:54 PM by camille Star rating in West Yorkshire & Her.... 121 posts Send private message

camille´s avatar
I have auto correct and it puts the weirdest words in sometimes! I am trying to get into the habit of retreading before I hit send.

Like 0      
30 Jul 2012 8:00 PM by elaineG Star rating in Spain . 409 posts Send private message

I am trying to get into the habit of retreading before I hit send.

Good idea Camille !!!   

Like 0      
30 Jul 2012 11:31 PM by Patty_1 Star rating in Hertfordshire. UK. .... 1062 posts Send private message

Yes have to say I check spelling old school I think. Even when my daughter's email or text I look at their spelling. It is just a habit I have got into much to there annoyance.

Patricia 

This message was last edited by pat and roy on 30/07/2012.

Like 0      
31 Jul 2012 8:22 AM by elaineG Star rating in Spain . 409 posts Send private message

Patricia    " much to there annoyance"

Opps!     'their'  there we go again,  joining Camille with 'deliberate' errors.

Like 0      
31 Jul 2012 12:46 PM by steone Star rating in Santiago de la Riber.... 383 posts Send private message

Years ago I always used the smell checker on the worm processor

Now eye ave lernt how two smell perfektly zo eye dont kneed to cheque mi smelling

Surely its about time people learnt the difference between:-

there and their

to, too and two

your and you're

need I go on?

Like 0      
31 Jul 2012 1:06 PM by wizzard2 Star rating in Costa Blanca. 32 posts Send private message

As an old-un.I am never to old to learn current trends,youngsters of today are not taught the niceties of spelling correctly,and the habit of texting has changed correct spelling forever,I can understand almost every word written even though some of them are mis-spelt in fact I prefer a mispelt word now and again,as whenever that happens it makes me feel normal.

Mis-spelling is here forever get used to it and Live With It.

Like 0      
31 Jul 2012 1:33 PM by ojosazul88 Star rating. 171 posts Send private message

know, donte youse won.

Like 0      
31 Jul 2012 1:51 PM by Patty_1 Star rating in Hertfordshire. UK. .... 1062 posts Send private message

Whoops their annoyance.  Do not want to annoy anyone. 

Patricia 

Like 0      
31 Jul 2012 2:53 PM by Irene&Alan Star rating in Formentera del Segur.... 701 posts Send private message

Irene&Alan´s avatar

Just because (if wht you say is true) the younger generation don´t care, that is no reason to give up on the basics of the English language.

I had a huge argument with my son-in-law a few years back about the common use of the ´f´ word. He made a similar comment that I should learn to live with it, but I can´t and I won´t.

My grandchildren have spelling and grammar lessons at school and I suspect this is true of all children, so if we Live With It, we are condoning it.

I´m going to keep on fighting.

Irene

Like 0      
31 Jul 2012 8:21 PM by maddiemack Star rating in Grantham, Lincolnshi.... 194 posts Send private message

Yes, Irene, I agree with you...

and, as a teacher, I'm sorry to say that youngsters who can't write the English language as well as those that can don't always get the jobs they'd like, particularly where a good command of written English is expected.  It's not all about spelling, though, as correct spelling can be located in a dictionary when it's important and, I agree, when it comes to most writing, it's really not important.  More important is the correct use of grammar, including words that have a different meaning when spelt incorrectly. Some of the most common mistakes that students use are a direct result of the way they speak (or rather, the way their parents speak).  For example;

'We was' instead of 'We were'

'Them ones' instead of 'Those ones'

IF a youngster's chosen career requires that he/she must use correct English, it makes sense to ensure that it is known.  I expect my Doctor, Solicitor, son's Teacher to use correct grammar and spelling but I don't care if the person on the checkout at my local Supermarket or the Bar person that serves me in my local doesn't.   No, I'm not a snob.  I just want my children to have the best chance possible to achieve the position in life they've chosen for themselves.  Of course, if they want to be famous footballers or celebrities, they can speak any way they like as long as they have the talent! lol

Like 0      
01 Aug 2012 12:55 PM by theequaliser Star rating in Spain. 26 posts Send private message

theequaliser´s avatar

Es tha eny pispuse to thes furum? Orr ware yo  hot jest bured ? Whet e laod off rap.

This message was last edited by theequaliser on 01/08/2012.

Like 0      
01 Aug 2012 1:10 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Middlemack,

Interesting to see your varied use of capitalisation !

Like 0      
01 Aug 2012 1:27 PM by sandra Star rating in . 812 posts Send private message

sandra´s avatar

Regarding the 'F' word.

I recently visited a Wetherspoon's and as I stood at the bar waiting to order, a staff member behind the bar, wearing a 'deputy' or 'duty' manager badge, was filling a drinks machine. Another staff member came and stood beside me and started a conversation with the   manager and both conversations were littered with the 'F'  word and other expletives.They made no attempt whatsoever to lower their voices and they were not even having an argument.

I did send a complaint to Wetherspoon's but they just sent me an acknowledgement. No apology.

Am I getting old or is this language now accepted in general conversation?  Would the Wetherspoon's  staff   have been happy to serve me if I had asked  the barstaff for an 'F'ing' glass of white wine and an 'F'ing pint of Fosters?

This message was last edited by sandra on 01/08/2012.

Like 0      
01 Aug 2012 2:14 PM by theequaliser Star rating in Spain. 26 posts Send private message

theequaliser´s avatar

Good post Sandra, even if it has nothing to do with the title of this thread.

Even Wethersoon’s staff would not need a spellchecker for ‘’F’’ word. But the bit that gets me, is that Wetherspoon’s and most of the other establishments put on this act of wearing badges, pledging ‘’we care more’’ and ‘’in pursuit of excellence’’ . When in truth it’s a load of bulls----t. Not even an apology. Disgraceful. 20 years ago you would have got an apology and free meals for two.

The new head of customer complaints is a pre programmed PC that spits out ‘’p—ss off’’ letters.

Like 0      
02 Aug 2012 10:03 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2626 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

A few years ago, my Son had a spelling test at primary school. One of the 10 words (tagliatelli) on the list was wrong in its spelling. I complained to the school and was told that they had to use that spelling because that is what the written document from the LEA told them. I carried on complaining that I would not teach my Son to spell a word incorrectly, just because the LEA told me that was how it should be. I was then told that it was the American spelling (it isn't)- We are in England. They then tried to tell me it was the Italian spelling (our parent company is Italian and confirmed that is not their spelling)- Again though, we are in England. I went to Sainsburys and bought a bag of tagliatelle and took it to the school to show them their incorrect spelling. Next day, I asked my Son how he had done in spelling and was told "(I got 9/9 Dad". Bloody bureaucracy gone mad .

They also weren't allowed to correct the errors in case they demoralised the children .

Mark

P.S. A preview page on the forum would be good, to be able to read through the post in the proper format before posting.

Like 0      
02 Aug 2012 10:31 PM by Jacksonsadmin Star rating in Marbella , Malaga. 78 posts Send private message

Hi Mark; I agree with your idea it would be very useful.

I became dyslexic 10 years ago when I started to write in Spanish.

f.parkinson @ jacksonsadministradoressl.es www.jacksons-group.com

Like 0      
04 Aug 2012 10:48 AM by PablodeRonda Star rating in Ronda (Málaga). 76 posts Send private message

I've been told dyslexia doesn't exist in Spanish-speaking countries because the spelling system is phonetic and consistent. Is this true?

Like 0      
04 Aug 2012 12:06 PM by elaineG Star rating in Spain . 409 posts Send private message

From: http://skeptics.stackexchange.com/questions/4992/is-dyslexia-unheard-of-in-spain

It's heard of, as dyslexia has much broader meaning than just phonetic problems. There is for example FEDIS (Spanish Dyslexia Federation), which advocates for special treatment of children with dyslexia in Spanish education system.

However, there is grain of truth in this. Indeed Spanish children affected by dyslexia have much less problems reading and properly pronouncing words, than English speaking children. It has been demonstrated in this study: "Valoración del procesamiento ortográfico en niños españoles con dislexia: El papel de las unidades léxicas y subléxicas" (roughly translated title: "Evaluation of orthographic processing of Spanish children with dyslexia: The role of lexical and sublexical units").

This message was last edited by elaineG on 04/08/2012.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Furniture Co - 3 posts
which place to spend winter - 20 posts
MasterCard or Visa - 2 posts
Golf buggy - 1 posts
British TV channels Phase 1 - 1 posts
My son has a contract phone - 9 posts
Where can I buy a car - 5 posts
Bar Viceversa in Estepona port - 0 posts
Gerry Marsden - 0 posts
Car sales or swap... - 0 posts
contract cancellation - 1 posts
Moving to Manilva Area - 0 posts
contacting Endesa how?? - 12 posts
MOPED DRIVING LICENCE. - 2 posts
Olympics on T.V. - 1 posts
Fools in the Pool - 11 posts
Spanish motorway robberies on british tourist etc - 105 posts
Where to buy TV accessories/cables etc - 1 posts
Last Olympic satellite UK TV update - FTA, Freesat & Sky - 0 posts
How do I stop this nonsence - 29 posts
pool - 0 posts
Banks - What can we do? - 0 posts
Taking a UK mobile phone to Spain. - 8 posts
- 0 posts
How do I delete a previous thread? - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 19

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x