Taking a UK mobile phone to Spain.

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
25 Jul 2012 2:20 PM by gerrryuk Star rating in Mezquitilla, near To.... 179 posts Send private message

gerrryuk´s avatar

I leave on saturday for a few days in Spain & wouild like to use my mobile phone but we all know the high costs concerned.

When I am in thailand I just nip into  a shop in Bangkok & purchase a cheap chip on pay as you go and use their systems, which are very very cheap.

I wonder if you can do the same in Spain or is their some other metthod used?

Is there any problem also with taking my laptop & how are the hotspots?

This message was last edited by gerrryuk on 25/07/2012.

This message was last edited by gerrryuk on 25/07/2012.

Like 0      
25 Jul 2012 2:28 PM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar

Yes, you can just nip into a shop and buy a PAYG phone.  Some are around €20 and include up to €12 credit when you buy it.  You do, however, need your passport to be able to buy one and you also need your passport just to buy a SIM card. 

Like 0      
25 Jul 2012 2:54 PM by gerrryuk Star rating in Mezquitilla, near To.... 179 posts Send private message

gerrryuk´s avatar

Thank you bob,

I didn't realise that they were that cheap. In which case I will probably leave my all singing thing switched off completely.

Any thoughts on taking my laptop?

Like 0      
25 Jul 2012 2:59 PM by Patty_1 Star rating in Hertfordshire. UK. .... 1062 posts Send private message

I take my notepad to Spain and you can go into some bars and get on line depends whereabout's in Spain.  But I have now invested in a dongle which is brilliant.  

Patricia

Like 0      
25 Jul 2012 3:22 PM by gerrryuk Star rating in Mezquitilla, near To.... 179 posts Send private message

gerrryuk´s avatar

Thank you Patricia,

a Dongle!!!! Something never had need for so know nothing about it, will have to look that further. Another bit of learning ....

Like 0      
27 Jul 2012 5:52 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2626 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

I bought a Digimobile sim last time I was out. 10€ to buy with 5€ PAYG credit (8c per minute to UK mobiles, less to UK landlines) and 500mb of internet. Ideal and top ups from 5€.

You ned to set up a Access Point in your phone, but take it to the shop you buy the sim from and they activate it for you.

Mark

Like 0      
27 Jul 2012 5:59 PM by gerrryuk Star rating in Mezquitilla, near To.... 179 posts Send private message

gerrryuk´s avatar

Thats brilliant Mark,

I'll do just that.

I think I have an old phone somewhere which I may take instead of interfering with my Galaxy 2.

thank you

Gerald

Like 0      
27 Jul 2012 6:10 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2626 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

I used my Galaxy S2 and it was fine, but mine was from Phones4U and unlocked. If on Android, I can send you theettings and you can do it yourself (sim should still be activated in store though as it has to be confirmed by the store owner. Take a driving license or passport as id).

Mark

Like 0      
27 Jul 2012 6:21 PM by gerrryuk Star rating in Mezquitilla, near To.... 179 posts Send private message

gerrryuk´s avatar

Ok Mark,

my number has been sent to you. I buy mine direct from Tmobile so assume it is unlocked.

From many dealings in Bangkok I always carry my driving Licence & Passport, very carefully concealed in a zipped up pocket.

Gerald

This message was last edited by gerrryuk on 28/07/2012.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

- 0 posts
How do I delete a previous thread? - 0 posts
SAT NAV - 2 posts
Underhand Shenanigans in Formentera del Segura - 0 posts
Brits urged to take out travel insurance as hospitalisation cases soar - 12 posts
Getting rid of a bad administrator. - 32 posts
No transfer document!! - 0 posts
Not looking good - 9 posts
Any vans with space from Valladolid to Alicante? - 0 posts
disabled and looking for a new life in torrevieja-am I crazy or can I actually do this? - 3 posts
Certificate of Non-Residence - 13 posts
OH DEAR, SPAIN ASKING FOR FULL GOVERNMENT BAIL OUT - 1 posts
Driving license - 6 posts
a uk debt - 14 posts
We save people 40% - 60% on the cost of fuel guaranteed - 0 posts
Removal Van For Sale - 0 posts
RENAULT SCENIC 2004 FOR SALE - 1 posts
Advice required on mobile homes - please - 0 posts
Kerry's Kafe, Calahonda, Costa Del Sol - 0 posts
Putting Irish children into school in Spain. - 2 posts
Driving back to calais - 7 posts
EU Citizen (UK) & none EU Citizen wife (Thai) coming permanently to Spain. - 10 posts
Sonora ELE Language Awareness: a new way lo learn Spanish online - 0 posts
poodles - 3 posts
Refridgerated vans - 3 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 9

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x