which place to spend winter

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
30 Jul 2012 9:43 AM by firebirdb Star rating. 4 posts Send private message

I want to live in Spain this winter, I would like advice on best place, for me.

I speak a bit of Spanish having worked on the Costas in the sixties, I am now 65 yrs old and retired, I would like to live in a place with not too many ex-pats, and where in winter a reasonable temperature.
I am not a "Townie" and would prefer somewhere a bit rural, with a town nearby.

I recently had 2 weeks in Cal Mijas, with the intention, of finding a place there, did not like the area, too brash and expensive !

What is the next step ? rent a place for a week, to see if it suits ? do long letting folk allow just one week ?

Like 0      
30 Jul 2012 10:36 AM by iain4702 Star rating in East Lothian & Lo.... 42 posts Send private message

Strongly recommend Los Montesinos in South costa Blanca.Yes there are ex/pats there but small town still has many old Spanish traditions and has a great feel to it.

My wife and I spent lots of time travelling the lengh of the costas in our motor home before deciding to buy in Montesinos 6years ago and have never regretted it.I have to point out that because of family ties we do not stay here all the time but probably about 10/11 weeks of each year.

We always look forward to returning to Spain and love integrating with our Spanish inhabitants as well as some great Brits.

The climate is considered to be the healthiest on Spain

Good Luck

Iain

Like 0      
30 Jul 2012 10:57 AM by steve647 Star rating. 15 posts Send private message

Hi

Having lived in Los Montesinos for 3 years, I agree that it is a pleasent small spanish town, which has grown 

over the last few years and is a short distance from .Torrevieja.

As for spending the winter! you can expect bright sunny days, although if you have been used to central heating

in the uk, you will be in for a shock at how cold Spanish houses can be.They are not built to northern european

standards and is something that most of us did not realise how cold it gets!!!

Just make sure you dont throw away those thermals!!!! and good luck....

Like 0      
30 Jul 2012 4:10 PM by Honeywater Star rating. 68 posts Send private message

Hello.

I read your post on EOS and thought I'd send you this private message to suggest Torre de la Horadada ("Torre" for short), in Costa Blanca South as an excellent place to spend the winter months. "Torre" is a small sea side village at the southernmost end of Costa Blanca, 15 minutes from Murcia airport. What we most like about it is that it's very flat, has a lovely supermarket, plenty of bars and restaurants and beautiful promenades. It also has a good mix of expats and Spaniards, many of whom live there permanently or spend long periods there. 

My wife and I own a  two-bedroom and a three-bedroom villas in Torre and have had cuples staying during winter over the last 4 years. If you'd like to try one of the houses  for a week or two and explore the area, the larger one is available from 6 September and the other one from 1 November.

Kind regards

John

Like 0      
30 Jul 2012 4:18 PM by nigela Star rating. 415 posts Send private message

I would sugest Palomares in Costa Almeria.  This is a very Spanish village with a few shops, banks and pubs.  It is a short drive from Vera, Guaracha and Mojacar - small spanish towns.  There are some ex-pats but not the same amount as in Costa Blanca and Cost De Sol.  

Like 0      
30 Jul 2012 5:05 PM by maddiemack Star rating in Grantham, Lincolnshi.... 194 posts Send private message

We have stayed in lots of different parts of Spain over the past 12 years and, as has been pointed out, unless you can find a well-insulated place on mainland Spain you will find some of the winter days/weeks VERY cold.  Finally, after spending time on every eastern/southern costa - from Costa Dorada to Costa de la Luz - and finding that  many winter days were too cold for us....we went to Tenerife! We could have kicked ourselves for not going there sooner but we had made up our mind it wasn't for us through listening to others' opinions. Yes, if you want to get involved in everything 'British' you can, just as you can in many parts of mainland Spain....but it's your choice.  Millions of euros were spent on the island, just prior to the 'crisis', making the beaches and the surrounding areas clean and inviting.  There are some lovely places in the South West of the island (the warmest part) where you'll find Spanish neighbours amongst British neighbours and almost everybody Spaniard can speak some English. 

If it's warm winter weather you're looking for, I really do recommend you try Tenerife where you'll find many people like yourself  that could become good friends as they return every winter. And, dare I say it...we find the local islanders even more friendly, helpful and welcoming than mainland Spain.

Like 0      
04 Aug 2012 8:26 AM by firebirdb Star rating. 4 posts Send private message

Thank you for all the advice, it has been very helpful, what a great community you are !

Like 1      
04 Aug 2012 12:55 PM by migueldelnorte Star rating in Rias Baixas, A Coruñ.... 5 posts Send private message

Having spent 20 years on the "Costas" and seen the huge changes there resulting in areas which have changed the character away from being essentially Spanish to being a European blend instead, I would suggest looking to the Atlantic coast. I am referring especially to Galicia. having moved here nearly 6 years ago.

The winters are not that cold on the Rias Baixas coast (Portugal to Muros) and there is a great deal more sunshine than in the UK. Winter rentals are inexpensive, certainly cheaper than the Costa del Sol etc and the people are some of the most friendly and helpful you'll find in Spain. You'll also find a huge amount of things to do, places to see, while enjoying the traditional excellent food and wines of Galicia. As you speak some Spanish, you won't have any language problems and many folks here speak other languages having worked abroad.

Like 1      
04 Aug 2012 1:26 PM by ob123 Star rating in Southern Ireland. 191 posts Send private message

I have a house in spain with the last 12 Years and spend a lot of the winter there, La Zenia near Torrevieja in the Costa Blanca is by far the best place to be 14C most of the time and with the salt lakes it is the healtiest place in the World to live......I spend nearly everyday in Cabroig beach really beautifull there a sun trap, and you will live longer there as well I think........enjoy

Like 0      
04 Aug 2012 2:35 PM by aly not in spain Star rating in Not far from Torre. 74 posts Send private message

Ob123, firebirdb is looking for somewhere 'a bit rural', and without too many ex-pats - La Zenia is slap bang in the 'concrete jungle'. Others have mentioned Los Montesinos, which i would call a large village rather than a town, and whilst pleasant, again I would think it may have too many ex-pats for firebirdb.

Like 0      
04 Aug 2012 3:19 PM by crazymo Star rating. 21 posts Send private message

can't really suggest where to go but definititely not the Costa Blanca.  I live just  south of Torrevieja with a mixture of Spanish & Brits and normally come after the clocks change in March and return within a couple of weeks after they change in October - it's so cold after that, particularly January & February.  If I have to stay indoors with the heating on might as well do it in UK

Like 0      
04 Aug 2012 3:32 PM by ob123 Star rating in Southern Ireland. 191 posts Send private message

We spend last January in Torrevieja and was in Cabroig beach everyday stunning down there it is a sund trap, we have hot and cold aircon so I had no problem with cold super weather for walking as well, we walk about 5 miles a day, if I had stayed in Ireland the cost of oil heating would be over €2000.......

Like 0      
06 Aug 2012 2:00 PM by Serradal Star rating. 6 posts Send private message

It depends what you like: many people (expats) or more quiet place with mixed live (Spanisch and expats)

Do you look for mediterrenean sea climat or inland?

We (belgium) spent the last ' years in Alcossebre - it's a nice coastal town, 400 km south French border with a micro climat (prected by Sierra Maestrazo). The most unique is thqt maximum hight of buildings is just 4 levels --> you don't have here massive sellings and empty buildings.

I can recommend this "unknown" costal place.

Like 0      
06 Aug 2012 10:14 PM by warwickshire Star rating. 1 posts Send private message

Hi we have an apartment in benalmedena unused in a winter. It is on the outskirts off the town and you could try it for a week or so if you wish. Mostly spanish residents only a few brits. Very quiet area. Bus ride to the marina. Lots of sun but cool on a night. We have been going to the costa del sol for 20 plus years. Great friendly place. Hope you find what you are looking for.

Ann.

Like 0      
06 Aug 2012 10:43 PM by rod Star rating in Uk and Spain. 469 posts Send private message

Firebird

This may help you decide

http://www.spanish-web.com/climate/monthly-climate-maps.php

Note the average temperatures in LONDON Brrrrrrrrrrrrr

The further SOUTH the better

Regards Rod

This message was last edited by rod on 06/08/2012.

Like 0      
07 Aug 2012 12:55 AM by ob123 Star rating in Southern Ireland. 191 posts Send private message

The only problem with the costa del sol is that everything is twice the price compared with the Costa Blanca a coffee is only €1 in Torrevieja with a scone butter and jam for €1.50 very good value. and the salt lakes of course gives ease to any health problems......

Like 1      
14 Aug 2012 3:21 PM by mojito Star rating in Cupar Fife / San Jua.... 268 posts Send private message

Aguilas!  The quiet, coastal town with working harbour, very much still Spanish, on the border of Murcia and Andalucia.  It has a beautiful, quiet  beach  and a large  Spanish square bustling all year round where you can still have excellent coffee, toast and jam for 1.50 euros.  There are some resident Brits around but not so you'd notice.  There's a huge carnival in the second fortnight of february where thousands are in fancy dress and the parades last for 6 hours +.   

We live 5 miles away in the Spanish resort of San Juan de los Terreros with miles of safe, sandy beach.

Jo and Jim

Like 1      
14 Aug 2012 9:20 PM by gerrryuk Star rating in Mezquitilla, near To.... 179 posts Send private message

gerrryuk´s avatar

ob123 is that correct that the Costa del Sol is an expensive area as opposed to the Costa Blanca?

Is this reflected also in comparison to the other Costa's?

Like 0      
15 Aug 2012 12:53 AM by ob123 Star rating in Southern Ireland. 191 posts Send private message

Yes the Costa Del Sol is very expencive compared with The Costa Blanca I spend some time in Costa Del Sol and it was really a rip off, I am not sure about the other Costas......... you get a four course meal in the Chinese in Torrevieja for €5.95 including a free drink of your choice......amazing and as I said before it is the healtist place in the world to live..........

Like 0      
15 Aug 2012 12:09 PM by norm de plume Star rating in North Tenerife and L.... 162 posts Send private message

It has to be the Canaries - Primavera Eterna (eternal spring).  Everywhere on the Med has a winter of some sorts.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

MasterCard or Visa - 2 posts
Golf buggy - 1 posts
British TV channels Phase 1 - 1 posts
My son has a contract phone - 9 posts
Where can I buy a car - 5 posts
Bar Viceversa in Estepona port - 0 posts
Gerry Marsden - 0 posts
Car sales or swap... - 0 posts
contract cancellation - 1 posts
Moving to Manilva Area - 0 posts
contacting Endesa how?? - 12 posts
MOPED DRIVING LICENCE. - 2 posts
Olympics on T.V. - 1 posts
Fools in the Pool - 11 posts
Spanish motorway robberies on british tourist etc - 105 posts
Where to buy TV accessories/cables etc - 1 posts
Last Olympic satellite UK TV update - FTA, Freesat & Sky - 0 posts
How do I stop this nonsence - 29 posts
pool - 0 posts
Banks - What can we do? - 0 posts
Taking a UK mobile phone to Spain. - 8 posts
- 0 posts
How do I delete a previous thread? - 0 posts
SAT NAV - 2 posts
Underhand Shenanigans in Formentera del Segura - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 21

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x