overun with ants

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
20 Jul 2012 5:29 PM by formentera costa Star rating. 368 posts Send private message

Hi everybody,

can anyone tell me any remedies to get rid of

ants from my home.

I have never encountered this problem before.

I have tried boric acid powder mixed with sugar,

THEN MIXED WITH HOT WATER.

also found one ant nest and poured boiling water down it

with a good sprinkle of boric acid powder neat.

plus scattering lemon rind outside, thought I had

got rid of them but they are back.

now trying spraying all surfaces with half water

and half vinegar. plus washing floors with lemon juice

and hot water.

I am always cleaning benches and make sure no food

is open to the air.

CAN ANYONE PLEASE GIVE ME ANY REMEDIES BEFORE I GO BONKERS

WITH THE LITTLE BAS---DS.

coolyes

Like 0      
20 Jul 2012 5:34 PM by floella Star rating in SE Spain. 803 posts Send private message

Your local ferreteria will have many excellent products, powder and sprays, to sort your problem.

Like 0      
20 Jul 2012 5:46 PM by formentera costa Star rating. 368 posts Send private message

Hi Floella,

thanks for reply, but I forgot to say that I have

also bought ant spray which does kill the ones

you see but does not help with all of the others that are still

in the nest. I want the whole lot killed.

coolyes

Like 0      
20 Jul 2012 6:41 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Its an expensive option compared with buying a can of something at the ferreterías but the pest control people I have found on a few occasions are the best answer.

In UK many year ago I used Nippon. They advertising said they it they take the poison back to the nest and it kills the lot. When it didn’t I contacted Nippon.   They said that it only worked like that at certain times of the year and sent me some powder.

On other occasions I have back tracked the ants to where they entered the house (entrance to thye nest hopefully)  and every day for a week or so sprayed (using a tube) directly into the hole. That was reasonably efficient.

Like 0      
20 Jul 2012 7:15 PM by Pitby Star rating in Andalucía. 1904 posts Send private message

Pitby´s avatar

I bought a gel in a syringe from the local ferretaría and piped it into the ant hill in the garden and they disappeared practically instantly!!  Haven't returned anywhere else either!  Cost about €6 if I recall correctly. 

Like 0      
20 Jul 2012 11:10 PM by rod Star rating in Uk and Spain. 469 posts Send private message

Ant powder DOES it for US only really noticed them THIS YEAR, you know you are winning the WAR when you see the QUEEN ant the BIG ONE with the WINGS stumbling around.

They are QUITE entertaining on a HOT SUMMER night

Rod

Like 0      
21 Jul 2012 12:27 AM by davmunster Star rating in Carvajal\Belfast. 843 posts Send private message

davmunster´s avatar

any that venture into our apartment get vacuumed up. I then spray the holes where they came in and fil them with polyfilla.

David

Like 0      
21 Jul 2012 6:43 AM by prospain Star rating in Spain & Hong Kong. 38 posts Send private message

prospain´s avatar

I threw petrol over the ants nest, but they came out on motorbikes.

Like 0      
21 Jul 2012 10:42 AM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar

Zum powder is supposed to work the same way as Nippon where they take the powder back to the nests.  We found it worked very well as long as you put the powder on some of the ants.  They also do a Zum spray which, when spread over the door entrances, stops even bigger creepy crawlies from coming in.  

Like 0      
21 Jul 2012 4:37 PM by haydngj Star rating in ALGORFA. 403 posts Send private message

haydngj´s avatar

We had small ants in the kitchen and tried powder, spray and all kinds of old tips none of them worked for long. We bought a plug in pest reject and watched them march out through a gap in thr wall where the drain was and have never seen them since The plug in was about 40e from carrefour

Like 0      
22 Jul 2012 1:52 PM by formentera costa Star rating. 368 posts Send private message

Hi Everbody,

thanks for all your replies.

I am now trying the following.

have put ant powder down outside and I remembered

that I had one of those pest control gadgets  in a drawer

so have now plugged this into electric and am keeping my

fingers crossed that these work.

coolyes

Like 0      
22 Jul 2012 4:20 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Some years ago I called Rentokil in UK and asked about the electric plug ins. They said they tested everything which came onto the market and that the plugs worked for a while until the ants, rats etc got used to them and then they were infective.  Never tried them for that reason.

WHICH mag did a test in mosquito 'buzzers' too and found they were useless. Gave mine away for that reason.

Like 0      
22 Jul 2012 5:04 PM by formentera costa Star rating. 368 posts Send private message

Hi Johnzx,

if you cannot come up with any constructive

advice then please do not bother posting on this

coolyes

Like 0      
22 Jul 2012 5:23 PM by haydngj Star rating in ALGORFA. 403 posts Send private message

haydngj´s avatar

You can buy cheap things from any Chinese store they don't work as well as the more expensive ones. Not seen an ant in the kitchen for the last 4 months.

Like 0      
22 Jul 2012 5:24 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Formentera
                             , I am sorry I mistakenly thought you were asking for advice. I did post advice previously suggestion several tried and tested MO’s. In case you missed that post it was:-  

Its an expensive option compared with buying a can of something at the ferreterías but the pest control people I have found on a few occasions are the best answer.

In UK many year ago I used Nippon. They advertising said they it they take the poison back to the nest and it kills the lot. When it didn’t I contacted Nippon.   They said that it only worked like that at certain times of the year and sent me some powder.

On other occasions I have back tracked the ants to where they entered the house (entrance to thye nest hopefully)  and every day for a week or so sprayed (using a tube) directly into the hole. That was reasonably efficient.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Purchasing adjacent property to extend house in Almeria area - 1 posts
furniture for sale in Murcia - 10 posts
My Technomate 5402HD satellite receiver needs repaired - 0 posts
ROCKETING STERLING. - 7 posts
A win for people power - 0 posts
Changing Name on NIE Number paper and Spanish Driving Licence - 1 posts
WORDS FROM THE NEW GOVERNOR OF THE BANK OF SPAIN... - 2 posts
ITV & Tyres - 14 posts
embargo on my account - 2 posts
Golf Coach on board - 0 posts
The law regarding kids in front seats... - 6 posts
Reforms to health care for EU expats - - 3 posts
New join - 1 posts
COSTAS PROPERTY SHARKS ON THE PROWL - 11 posts
Graphic/Web Designer looking for room in/near villamartin *PLEASE READ* - 0 posts
A little light relief - 0 posts
New freephone number for Endesa - 5 posts
New satellite channel receivable UK TV Costa Blanca - 4seven - 0 posts
Recommended Structural Surveyor near Estepona/ Marbella/ Gibraltar - 11 posts
How should I play this? - 3 posts
Agricultural Water - 3 posts
Spain needs reform NOW - 93 posts
Latest info re EU Citizen Registration (formerly Residencia) - 17 posts
Travel to Malaysia - 2 posts
Swimming Pool Security Problem - 2 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 15

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x