Medical / Spanish Driving Licence?

This thread is currently locked.

:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
22 May 2012 3:33 PM by guslopez Star rating in Lorca, Murcia.. 744 posts Send private message

As from 2013 there is supposed to be a new EU wide driving licence anyway.

Todos somos Lorca.

Like 0      
22 May 2012 4:27 PM by Robi1305 Star rating in South Alicante. 3 posts Send private message

Yes detailed here

http://ec.europa.eu/transport/road_safety/behavior/driving_licence_en.htm

This message was last edited by Robi1305 on 22/05/2012.

Like 0      
22 May 2012 9:34 PM by dringman Star rating in www.Condadoexcursion.... 772 posts Send private message

dringman´s avatar

My friend went for his medical the same time as I did but did not go to change licence straight away . Now they say medical not valid after 3 months, So if on UK licence how do you get around this without 40 euros every 3 months?

www.condadoexcursions.com   Airport Transfers Day Trips Alhama de Murcia Taxi No 10  
tel +441212881323   +34 622714979

Like 0      
22 May 2012 10:02 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

I understand (from Brian Dellor,  author of Motoring in Spain) that the medical cert is valid for three months for the purpose of applying for a Spanish DL but if used with, say with a UK DL, it is valid for the period that the Spanish DL would have been,  had one used the cert to apply for a Spanish DL.  

The period varies from 10 years to 2 depending on one’s age.

Like 0      
22 May 2012 11:13 PM by dringman Star rating in www.Condadoexcursion.... 772 posts Send private message

dringman´s avatar

my friend now has to get another medical before he can get a Spanish DL , its confusing!!

www.condadoexcursions.com   Airport Transfers Day Trips Alhama de Murcia Taxi No 10  

Like 0      
23 May 2012 5:40 AM by mgk Star rating in Penthouse 2. 241 posts Send private message

mgk´s avatar

Can't help feeling ripped off here, I took the drivers medical in Feb. this year and have just applied through a Gestor to change my UK license for a Spanish one, she rang me last night and said Trafico have returned my documents as my medical certificate is invalid, quoting this 3 month time limit on certificate.So buyer beware! they seem to make it up as they go along, at no time when applying or taking the medical was a time limit mentioned. What a waste of time & money

www.condadoelectricalservices.com        condadoes@live.co.uk

tel.605 832  795

Like 0      
23 May 2012 4:49 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Dringman

As I said, if you drive on a UK DL then the cert is valid for the same period that a Spanish one would be at your age.

Example.   I am 72 my Spanish DL is valid for two years.  If I were driving on a UK DL the cert would be valid, with ,my UK DL, for two years.

However, if i apply for a new Spanish DL or to renew one, the cert is valid for only 3 months,

Like 0      
23 May 2012 5:19 PM by dringman Star rating in www.Condadoexcursion.... 772 posts Send private message

dringman´s avatar

So for a UK holder it is valid for ages , but for someone changing to a Spanish licence then 3 months. Understand that is the law but is that not unfair for someone who wants to change to Spanish ?

Like 0      
23 May 2012 5:33 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

It's for same for someone changing their UK licence to a Spanish one because the same applies to a Spaniard renewing  his Spanish DL. That is, it’s Valid for 3 months too. 

If the Spanird waits over 3 months then he needs a new cert too.  

The same for all.

Like 0      
18 Aug 2016 4:57 PM by smccartney Star rating in Jerez. 83 posts Send private message

Is the above information still alid in 2016?

I have a UK licence (which I've just renewed so valid 10 years) for a car etc, but I want to do an A2 motobike test in Spain. I've been told I need to change to a Spanish licence first. Is this true? Also I'm 49 so would the Spanish DL only be valid for 5 years. 

Could I keep my UK car licence and just get a Spanish licence for A2 motobike?

Like 0      
19 Aug 2016 10:22 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

SMC  Hi,  As you say you have just renewed your UK DL you must reside in UK (cannot renew if you are not living there)

In which case would it not be easier to take your MC test in UK ?   I believe to apply for a Spanish DL one must be resident in Spain.  I also believe you cannot have 2 DLs as you suggest.

However,  if you are in Spain, albeit not resident here, I suggest you ask a driving school, they should be able to give you accurate  info,

Like 0      
19 Aug 2016 12:49 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

Sensible advice from John. To add to it: The European Commission (EC) Driving Licence Directive 2006/126/EC does not allow drivers to have more than one EU/EEA driving licence. So, if you are resident in Spain, exchange your UK licence (not obligatory but the only sensible thing to do anyway), then take your bike test. It's easy to exchange your licence, and your new Spanish (cat B) one will be valid for 10 years also (it changed recently). Not sure if it's different for A2 though. As John says, ask at an approved driving school, they'll have the best and latest info.

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
19 Aug 2016 1:21 PM by smccartney Star rating in Jerez. 83 posts Send private message

Thanks for replies. 

Perhaps I need to give more info. I have been resident in Spain for 6 years. But have had a UK (Northern Ireland)  address. I was home in July for a few weeks to clear up a few things to sell the UK house and took the opportunity to renew my licence while I still had an address (perhaps a bit naughty). 

As for autoescuelas, I continously get conflicting and incorrect answers from them. Hence coming on here to ask. 

Anyway, this morning I went to Cádiz to change my licence, they completed paperwork, took my original medical, and photocopies of proof of address from the townhall, passport, UK licence and NIE. I was told it would be €27 bur in the end it was €23.50.

They gave me my UK dl back and a reciept for the money. They say they will be in touch when the DVLA in the UK respond with whatever it is they need. 

I asked if in the meantime, I could crack on with doing my A2 test. This caused more confusion, they said my UK licence was valid for 'A'  which is superior to 'A2'. But I think they are wrong. Although my new UK dl was returned with 'A'  entitlement, it has a code 79.03,which I believe is something to do with riding a trike. 

Good old EU, trying to share a currency, want a European army, and can't even harmonise driving licences! 

Like 0      
19 Aug 2016 1:45 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

SMC .................   But have had a UK (Northern Ireland)  address ..................... and took the opportunity to renew my licence while I still had an address

To clarify.

Renewing a UK DL in Britain (N Ireland maybe be different) means the applicant confirms when they sign the application form that they live permanently in UK.

Just having a UK address is not sufficient. 

Supplying false info is an offence.

https://www.gov.uk/renew-driving-licence

Like 0      
19 Aug 2016 2:00 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

"Supplying false info is an offence." So arrest him. Or perhaps we can let him off with just being "a bit naughty" on this occasion, since he's now changing his licence anyway?

I think the person you spoke to (at Tráfico?) probably just didn't know about the code 79.03 - ask someone else on a different day and you'll get a different answer. This Is Spain. If approved driving schools can't help (once you've got your Spanish licence) I'm out of ideas, sorry.

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 2      
19 Aug 2016 2:02 PM by smccartney Star rating in Jerez. 83 posts Send private message

Like I said, "a bit naughty", but I just want to drive, which I believe I'm qualified and entitled to do, with the least hassle and bureaucracy. 

I was also needing a renewed UK dl to apply for an Irish passport, which may be useful in the future, post Brexit. I hope that's OK with you. 

Like 1      
19 Aug 2016 2:57 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

SMC  

"a bit naughty"  

No ilegal, but as I said in my PM to you, good luck to you.

I was also needing a renewed UK dl to apply for an Irish passport, which may be useful in the future, post Brexit

We are going off thread here but what the h....

I have a Spanish DL and I am resident in Spain.  My mother was born in Ulster, I was born in UK.  I applied for and got an Irish Passport about 18 months ago without any problems. I certainly did not need a DL of any kind to do that.

Like 0      
19 Aug 2016 2:58 PM by smccartney Star rating in Jerez. 83 posts Send private message

Thanks Roberto, no firing squad this time, but let that be a warning! 

😀

Like 1      
19 Aug 2016 4:21 PM by smccartney Star rating in Jerez. 83 posts Send private message

I was born in Northern Ireland so is straight forward, didn't want to use my British passport for photo ID as I needed it to get back to Spain. 

Like 1      
19 Aug 2016 4:50 PM by Tadd1966 Star rating in Los Montesinos. 1754 posts Send private message

Johnzx

I note you applied and got your irish passport 18 months ago is that correct

Like 0      

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next |

This thread is currently locked.

Previous Threads

Driving to Spain with a dog - 2 posts
Non Resident Bank Account - 4 posts
Corvera Airport latest - 0 posts
Licencia de obra - 10 posts
Driving from Torreivieja to Cork...... - 4 posts
Endesa and how they charge - 5 posts
What would happen to a Euro mortgage, if Spain dropped the Euro? - 35 posts
Anyone live in the Zaragoza region? - 0 posts
Traffic Penalty - 11 posts
car transporting - 2 posts
Weather in UK - 3 posts
Mi amiga Carmen - 0 posts
Renewing Residencia - 23 posts
Getting the money after judge finding in our favour. - 50 posts
Best Christmas present? - 8 posts
Fun for kids this 24th of December´s afternoon - 0 posts
Iberdola night & day tariff - 4 posts
A Digital Nativity - 0 posts
Who are you? - 7 posts
fruit & veg wholesaler - 0 posts
Ryanair card charges changed again? - 1 posts
Good news for one community in Spain - 1 posts
I have just used my Visa Electron - 1 posts
Bye Ryanair Well done Bmi Baby - 12 posts
British television in Spain - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 62

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x