Importing a car derived van into Spain

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
22 May 2007 12:00 AM by K 5ive Star rating in Cambrils. 116 posts Send private message

Everyone talks about cars, but nowhere can i find info on importing my van into Spain. I have read that you cannot import commercial vehicles into Spain but does this mean that this includes my Car derived van, a Vauxhall Combo? (Corsa van)

I would buy one over there but i bought this van cheap specifically to start a car valeting business in Spain. Cars and vans seem so expensive over there. My van is the key part of my business plan. If this is so are there any loopholes around this? Like putting in back seats in it so as it becomes simular to one of the many  "Bread Vans" over there with back seats

Thanks

Like 0      
23 May 2007 12:30 PM by jmtwsm Star rating in Sabinillas CDS. 191 posts Send private message

jmtwsm´s avatar

K 5ive,

You have me worried now as I have just bought a van ready for our move to Spain in a couple of months time.

My van is a left hand drive Opel Vivaro (Transit size).

Is there a problem importing all commercial vehicles or just right hand drive ones?

Can anyone help please  ????

Like 0      
23 May 2007 4:18 PM by K 5ive Star rating in Cambrils. 116 posts Send private message

I think it all hinges on what you classify as Commercial. Trucks are regarded as Commercials here.

It really does seem that Spain is purposely making it difficult to import cars. It is supposed to be the EU therefore we should be able to take in what we like. Also i paid tax on my vehicles here. is this not a tax in the EU why do i have to pay more to the spanish. All you have to do here is pay £35 for registering a car from within europe.

Like 0      
23 May 2007 11:11 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

I think you will find the "tax" is actually the registration charge - which may well be a lot more than £35! Don't know about importing vans, but I would think that if it is registered as a private vehicle rather than commercial, it should be treated the same as a car? You're probably best contacting a "gestor" who is experienced in these matters. There have been many discussions on this topic before, here and on other forums, and whilst some people have succesfully imported vehicles without any major hassle, most people seem to think it's more trouble than it's worth really.

BTW, I imported a car 10 years ago, my first vehicle in Spain, because I thought it was better & cheaper than buying here. I had a gestor take care of everything, and it wasn't too much bother really, but I've never done it since and wouldn't dream of doing it again. Just can't be bothered.

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
13 Aug 2007 2:59 PM by speedliner Star rating in Benissa, Alicante. 8 posts Send private message

If the van has side windows it can be registered on spanish plates, also bear in mind it is quite expensive to register and you will need to change the headlights

Like 0      
14 Aug 2007 6:09 PM by Febe Star rating in Flix, on river Ebro,.... 240 posts Send private message

Don't know about vans, but in general, you will also need to change the speedo face (unless it is already duel, MPH and KPH).

If it only has 1 rear fog light that will need to be on the off side.

And the very best of British luck to you if it has a tow bar!

Good luck.

Regards, Fiona

No matter where you go, there you are.

Like 0      
15 Aug 2007 12:02 AM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

And the very best of British luck to you if it has a tow bar!

Ahhhhh, the old Tow Bar chesnut raises it's ugly head again!!!

Mark Twain

Like 0      
29 Aug 2007 5:13 PM by Lauryc Star rating in Was South Devon .. n.... 520 posts Send private message

Lauryc´s avatar

We were planning on hanging on to a car to drive down in with the dogs for our move and then trying to dispose of it in Spain.

Would that be a problem? Could we keep it a few months first?

Laury

Laury

Like 0      
29 Aug 2007 8:27 PM by speedliner Star rating in Benissa, Alicante. 8 posts Send private message

sounds like a good idea with the dogs and all ! the law is you can use a uk reg car for six months however as is typical in spain this is not always enforced. i have a uk reg car i brought with me 4 years ago, you can itv it (mot) and insure it on uk reg. i have heard of people having trouble with the guardia civil but to be honest they will always find something to fine you for anyway.

Where are you moving to ?

Good luck with your journey.

Like 0      
29 Aug 2007 8:31 PM by Lauryc Star rating in Was South Devon .. n.... 520 posts Send private message

Lauryc´s avatar

Thanks for the info Speedliner.

We have a house being reformed in Dolores and will be moving later in the year all being well.

We have to sell up here first and I am currently "House Doctoring" our home to make it bland and boring for selling.

Laury

Laury

Like 0      
29 Aug 2007 8:48 PM by speedliner Star rating in Benissa, Alicante. 8 posts Send private message

no problem ! best of luck with everything  :o)

Like 0      
30 Aug 2007 9:42 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

"I have a uk reg car I brought with me 4 years ago, you can itv it (mot) and insure it on uk reg."

If you do not have a British MoT, your insurance will be invalid. A Spanish ITV may prove that the car has passed the Spanish test and is therefore (theoretically) roadworthy, but do you really think any UK insurance company would miss the fact that you don't have a valid UK MoT? Of course, you can go to any ITV testing station and ask for a test, and of course, any insurance company will gladly accept your money. None of this makes it any more legal for you to be driving around in a UK registered car. I am assuming of course that you are resident in Spain? After all, if you are here for more than 3 months you are obliged to register as resident. Once you are registered as resident, you are not allowed to drive a foreign registered vehicle and must either dispose of it or go to the bother and expense of re-registering it. (If you want to know how much, I will endeavour to find out)

"I have heard of people having trouble with the guardia civil but to be honest they will always find something to fine you for anyway."

It's up to you if you want to run the very real risk of having your car confiscated. Personally, I struggle to understand why anybody goes through the inevitable hassle and stress involved in uprooting to a foreign country, and then doesn't bother to make a little extra effort to ensure that they live their lives in their new country of residence according to the laws that exist for everyone, native or emigrant. Imagine the outcry, after all, if British roads were cluttered with Polish registered cars & vans with dubious documentation.

All that said and done, I also fail to understand why anybody would want to drive a RHD car for any extended period in Spain. Just a couple of times negotiating a toll booth or the airport carpark without a compliant passenger would be enough to convince me, and that's before I even try overtaking anyone!

Like I said, entirely up to you.............I just hope I don't come into contact with any "residents" in their UK reg cars - I don't want to lose my no-claims bonus if it's their fault, and their insurance won't pay out.

Mark Twain

Like 0      
03 Sep 2007 5:18 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

Just to re-iterate what I said before, this was published in the Daily Telegraph motoring section last week:

"There are people who will tell you that it is possible to insure an UK plated car in Spain. Yes, of course it is - money talks, but the fact is, that in the event of a claim the insurance company is highly likely to refuse payment if the car is not road legal, this being a clause in every car insurance policy I've ever seen.
That means it MUST have a current VED and it MUST have a current UK MOT certificate.
How many old sheds of UK cars do you see in Spain with a current VED disc? Not many - this is probably because without a UK issued MOT certificate it's impossible to obtain the tax disc.
[Of course newer cars which don't yet need an MOT still have to be taxed to be legal]
Live in a fool's paradise if you must, with your UK plated, un-MOT'd, untaxed vehicle but don't complain if an insurance company looking for a "get out" ( don't they always?), rejects your claim!"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
03 Sep 2007 9:56 PM by Ando Star rating in Wolverhampton/Balsic.... 37 posts Send private message

I realise UK cars are supposed to be reregistered and what is involved ,but does anybody know what happens with a UK registered Motor Bike,and does the same apply,and how much does it cost.

Ando

Like 0      
04 Sep 2007 6:52 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar
As far as I know the exact same rules will apply. Presumably the headlight will have to be changed or adjusted to dip to the right in order to pass the ITV. The cost will no doubt be dependent on the make/model/year, just as with cars.

Mark Twain

Like 0      
04 Sep 2007 6:57 PM by Rixxy Star rating in San Pedro. 2010 posts Send private message

Rixxy´s avatar
Surely better to have a left hand drive bike ???!

Quite frankly m'dear, I don't give a damn!

www.herbalmarbella.com

Like 0      
04 Sep 2007 7:19 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar
No, just a left handed helmet, to avoid blind spots. (or should that read - blonde spots?)

Mark Twain

Like 0      
04 Sep 2007 7:22 PM by Rixxy Star rating in San Pedro. 2010 posts Send private message

Rixxy´s avatar
Do you have a left handed helmet??? 

Quite frankly m'dear, I don't give a damn!

www.herbalmarbella.com

Like 0      
11 Sep 2007 12:15 PM by Liz Fox Star rating in Coria del Rio, Sevil.... 9 posts Send private message

You can't change a van over to a Spanish vehicle.  We are the same as you and can't afford to replace our with a Spanish van because they cost so much.  The only vehicle that you can change to a Spanish vehicle is a "turismo" ie car.

Like 0      
11 Sep 2007 5:57 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar
Not sure who your post was aimed at, Liz, but the original question on this thread referred to a Vauxhall Combo, which, so long as it has side windows, I don't see any reason why it can't be registered on Spanish plates. And I'm a little puzzled by the comment about vans being so expensive here. What, more than in rip-off Britain? Not disputing your "facts", just curious, is all.

Mark Twain

Like 0      

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Private Message - 2 posts
information about the Condado de Alhama resort - 8 posts
We're new and buying in La Tercia Real! Anyone else?? - 10 posts
Gardening - 2 posts
Spanish will - 16 posts
New Channel - 3 posts
Anyone moving to Lebrrija? - 27 posts
Veronica - 7 posts
Kids discos san pedro/estepona - 0 posts
Taxation on two properties - 5 posts
Liverpool Athens 2007 - 12 posts
Inner Life in Spain - 0 posts
Election time - 36 posts
Completing on new property when developer has gone bankrupt - 2 posts
hello fron anneF - 6 posts
Airport transfers - 5 posts
Ray and Sue - 2 posts
Air Conditioning - 3 posts
I want to rent out my new apartment in Oropresa marina dor - 8 posts
Remember Living in Spain TV has Launched today - 31 posts
Long Term Rental Available On The Las Ramblas Golf Course In Lux 3 Bed/2 Bath - 0 posts
If You Are Looking For A Bargain Then Look No Further! - 0 posts
sky digital tv - 3 posts
Hello everyone - 11 posts
Slightly Inland CB Chitty Chat - 23 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 46

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 | 3 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x