EOS in IE8 has gone a bit squiffy!

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
27 Jan 2011 12:00 AM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

One for Justin if you have time - or maybe it's just me? Some (not all) of the threads are not displaying properly for me in IE8. The "message" column is overlapping the "posted by" column, the "reply" and "start new thread" buttons look broken, and the "upgrade my account profile" at top right overlaps the navigation bar - oh, and the Google ads column on the left of the page is way down the page out of site (not that I care!) And sometimes the page won't fit the width of the browser, necessitating scrolling left and right (really irritating!) Haven't noticed any problems with other sites, or FF (although the width issue does occur sometimes in FF too) Anybody else noticed these issues?

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
27 Jan 2011 1:40 AM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

OK, solved the squiffiness - my IE8 was running in compatability mode; switched that off, everything appears normal. But the Google ads column on the left is still way down the page below all the posts - probably why they've never bothered me at all?!

Mark Twain

Like 0      
27 Jan 2011 9:15 AM by Faro Star rating in London. 1139 posts Send private message

Hi Roberto

I'm using IE8 and I can't see any problems.

I think it might be your setting?

Like 0      
27 Jan 2011 10:02 AM by Marbella29649 Star rating in Mijas Costa, Costa d.... 58 posts Send private message

Try resetting IE8 back to default settings.

Tool > Internet Options > advanced.

Neil

www.soltecspain.com

Like 0      
27 Jan 2011 1:06 PM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar
I only use Firefox, Crome and Safari so just installing IE8 to see if I can see any issues with it.
Justin

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      
27 Jan 2011 1:25 PM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar

Hmmm, just installed IE8 but my PC seemed to have a cardiac arrest, so I just uninstalled it

I'll take a look later when I get home.

Justin

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      
27 Jan 2011 2:20 PM by fultond Star rating in Haywards Heath & Tor.... 242 posts Send private message

I had the same problem yesterday on 2 threads and I'm using IE6. I don't think the problem was IE8 related. It just so happened that the 2 threads were adjacent. I could see all threads before and all threads after. Maybe there was a temporary update problem that caused it to lose the links?

Dave

Like 0      
27 Jan 2011 2:23 PM by TechNoApe Star rating in Duquesa, Manilva. 1277 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

TechNoApe´s avatar

Justin,

I have IE8 and when signed in as me, or signed out and just a 'visitor' everything seems fine.

Noticed that Roberto was posting on here in the wee hours of the morning, he's not the only one skulking around here at that time you know!

Therefore Roberto, in my humble conclusion, was vino and/or cerveza to blame?

This message was last edited by TechNoApe on 27/01/2011.

www.andalucianstyle.com

Me, the Mrs and Rosie too! But we'll never, ever forget our Tyler!

We support AAA Abandoned Animals Marbella - Do you?

Like 0      
27 Jan 2011 2:25 PM by Comanche Star rating in Islas Canarias. 13 posts Send private message

Why use Internet Explorer?

There are safer and more secure systems that are better ie "Firefox"

I wouldnt bother with ie except for operating system updates.

C

Like 0      
27 Jan 2011 2:46 PM by TechNoApe Star rating in Duquesa, Manilva. 1277 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

TechNoApe´s avatar

Never, ever had any problems with IE.

Firefox also suffers from critical vulnerabilities, just as IE, Chrome.

The problem is that most users do not either check for updates for the browser they are using, or just apply updates without checking for any further 'known' issues prior to update!

With so many different variants of Windows still in use, plus the lackluster approach of most users to checking for routine system updates and security updates, then fixing a 'known' issue is precarious at best.

Hence why a lot of users don't update, and when they then try and install a new version of IE8, then their PC throws a major wobbly.

Then we have the average users lackluster approach to installing additional, 3rd party security software, leave alone keeping that software updated.

And people wonder when they come to me... "My PC was fine yesterday, now today is really, really slow." ....

Because it's full of Worms!

www.andalucianstyle.com

Me, the Mrs and Rosie too! But we'll never, ever forget our Tyler!

We support AAA Abandoned Animals Marbella - Do you?

Like 0      
27 Jan 2011 6:44 PM by fultond Star rating in Haywards Heath & Tor.... 242 posts Send private message

I have the same problem now on the latest Hospital Quiron Malaga link

Like 0      
27 Jan 2011 7:09 PM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar

Ah ok, I saw the problem.

I think it should be ok now.

Let me know if it's not.

Justin

Like 0      
27 Jan 2011 8:34 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Some threads had definitely 'gone a bit squiffy'  too for me (they didn't show any posts at all using IE6).  I read them in Chrome instead but now I can see them in IE6! Thanks Justin. (No lectures about how IE6 is rubbish please, I like it!!)

Like 0      
28 Jan 2011 11:35 AM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

Neil: the default settings "recover page layout errors in Compatability View", which may be the problem, because this site doesn't seem to like the Compatability View. Solution: switch it off! 

Colin: don't know if you're tucked up in bed with your Horlicks by 1:30, but most of us are still wide awake and just getting started on the vino! 

Comanche: unless you are a stereotypical MS hater, there's no reason to avoid IE. I use it mainly on my desktop, because I have a 23" monitor and the toolbars on FF appear miniscule. On my laptop, I use FF.

Justin: switching off Compatability View solves the squiffiness, but the Google ads are not visible unless you scroll down past all the posts. Doesn't bother me, but may bother you!

This message was last edited by Roberto on 28/01/2011.

Mark Twain

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

FOR SALE MOTHERCARE MOSES BASKET and lots of baby clothes, equipment and toys - Javea Costa Blanca - 0 posts
BARGAIN FOR SALE BMW 645CI coupe Right Hand DRive Every extra conceivable ONLY 20,000 Euro - 0 posts
BARGAIN - FOR SALE NISSAN NOTE 1.4 LHD 3500 EUROS IN JAVEA, COSTA BLANCA - 1 posts
Increase of rent due to IPC/CPI - spanish one or not - 3 posts
Ocean View Properties - 3 posts
Community fee help - 9 posts
Cancelling my telephone service - 12 posts
coming to a Town near you!!?? - 0 posts
Holiday bookings - 2 posts
Vote - 1 posts
sky t.v - 2 posts
Selling a property and tax - 6 posts
Long Term Rentals - 1 posts
SMALL DOG CAGE FOR SALE - 0 posts
CHIRRINGUITOS - 26 posts
Wedding Help!!! - 2 posts
Spinning Classes - Los Alcazares - 4 posts
long term debtors - 11 posts
De-seeding Pomegranates - 6 posts
Finding rental demand - 0 posts
Best Deals From Internet Providors - 3 posts
Do I need this job?? - 4 posts
New Community - 1 posts
Community Bank Statement - 6 posts
Buying a Lottery Ticket in Spain - 6 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 14

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x