Do I need this job??

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
24 Jan 2011 12:00 AM by jjkelly Star rating. 11 posts Send private message

I have currently been in spain for 2 years, originally lived off savings and have been lucky that my husband has a job but now find myself in the situation where i have to find work.  I have been offered a job in a local bar but have been told that I will be paid cash in hand and that my social security would not be paid, how will this affect me and is this standard practice in spain??

Like 0      
25 Jan 2011 12:34 AM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

Fairly common practice, especially with seasonal type work. Apart from the obvious saving to the employer by not paying social security contributions, giving employees a contract is something many employers prefer to avoid, as it can be very difficult and costly to get rid of the worker later on. Ridiculous labour laws, which encourage a black market IMHO. You shouldn't worry too much about it, since it is the employer who will face a fine if found to be employing people illegally - I've not heard of a worker being fined. Plus, assuming your husband is working legally, you will still be entitled to health care etc as his dependent. I would be more worried about working in a bar - what sort of bar is it, how good are you at playing agony aunt and dealing with unreasonable people?

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
25 Jan 2011 10:55 AM by jjkelly Star rating. 11 posts Send private message

Thanks for the info Roberto.  A costly fine is something we can ill afford.  The bar owner has told me that if things work out he will give me a contract but for only one hour a day, I assume that this is to cover him against the fine you mentioned?  My agony aunt skills are sadly lacking but this shouldn,t be too much of a problem as I will be spending most of my time in the kitchen, not the best place to be once summer arrives, but needs must!!  Thanks again.

Like 0      
25 Jan 2011 7:04 PM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar

Yeah, fairly common practice and probably more common than ever at the moment as everyone is trying to save on costs.

It is expensive to employ people here and it's expensive to be self employed so many people do work cash in hand....even if it isn't "right".

If you need the money take the job.  Like Roberto says, it's the business owner's problem and not really yours.

Justin

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      
25 Jan 2011 8:54 PM by jjkelly Star rating. 11 posts Send private message

Thank you Justin, have to say you guys have put my mind at rest, I was really quite concerned as I need the work but did not want to do something that would cause problems for us in the future. Its such a shame that the economy is as it is. Many thanks again for your feedback. 

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

New Community - 1 posts
Community Bank Statement - 6 posts
Buying a Lottery Ticket in Spain - 6 posts
Honda Shadow VT750C - 0 posts
Salsa - 3 posts
empty van coming to spain from notts UK to mazzaron area - 0 posts
Changing a Community Constitution - 11 posts
World record attempt for longest job queue in Madrid today - 1 posts
UK Televisions in Spain - 9 posts
Relocating to Malaga area..... but where would suit my needs?? - 4 posts
linda - 0 posts
How are things on the Canary Islands? - 0 posts
Bistro Glass Bar Table & 2 Gas Lift Stools - 0 posts
Sharing Van from Uk to Spain... - 0 posts
iPad help!!!! - 6 posts
Lots of questions... need advice please - 29 posts
It isn't letting me post my thread! :( - 8 posts
photos Casa Playa Balanegra - 0 posts
DJ - 0 posts
Thanks - 1 posts
Spanish Mortgages - 3 posts
Empty removal van space (North East to London) - 0 posts
Cleaning Key Holding - 3 posts
Purchase complete at long last - HELP ! - 7 posts
New S1 Form - 14 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 5

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x