Time to swap your Nationwide account

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
01 Feb 2011 5:50 PM by nigela Star rating. 415 posts Send private message

What would you get charged if you paid money into your credit card before you went abroad - surely then the interest on the balance would be nil because you have already paid it off? (Obviously you would have to pay more in than you were withdrawing whilst abroad).

Like 0      
01 Feb 2011 7:32 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

From Halifax Clarity Credit Card

Q. Can I put money on my card to increase my available credit whilst on holiday?

A. Credit cards are not designed to be used this way. Using the card in this way breaches the product's Terms & Conditions

Like 0      
01 Feb 2011 7:58 PM by jjb Star rating. 2 posts Send private message

I tried for an N&P account but the card/login details did not arrive before I went back to Spain.

I therefore cancelled or I would have incurred £5pm fee for not putting in £500 a month to the account.

On return I simply opened a Metro bank account that has Mastercard exchange rate for ATMs and no charges whatsoever.

You just go into your nearest branch, if you are luck to have one no too far, and all your cards/chequebooks are given to you there and then.

Very impressed with the service. It made me fell like I was being served as a customer rather than being a nuicance like at Nationwide.

I will be phasing out my Nationwide account ASAP. I get £20 from Metro if I let them do the change over process.

Like 0      
02 Feb 2011 9:29 AM by sharonw Star rating in Coin, Malaga. 281 posts Send private message

sharonw´s avatar

Hi All,

Have just seen the Sainsbury's Gold Credit Card advertised. It seems with this there are no fees on cash withdrawals abroad, you still earn nectar points when using the card abroad and there is annual family travel insurance thrown in.   Have not looked at the actual T & C's but might be worth looking into.

Regards

Sharon

sharon@tmasspain.com

www.themortgageservicegroup.com

Like 0      
02 Feb 2011 1:37 PM by Hammersfan Star rating in Body in Essex, Heart.... 160 posts Send private message

This whole tread seems to me to be far more complex than it needs to be

Iif you have a property in Spain, you will have to have a Spanish bank account from which your bills are paid. You will almost certainly be "topping up" this account on a regular basis so that there are funds in the account when the Direct Debits arrive,

So transfer additional funds before you come out and then use your Spanish bank's ATMs for free or another Spanish Banks ATMs for a small fee..........simples!

Like 0      
02 Feb 2011 1:53 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Hi Sharon, this was mentioned a few times before so I'd looked at it then.

• You do get free annual worldwide family travel insurance, yes!

BUT, if you look at the summary it says you need to pay a £5 monthly fee plus cash advances are 24.93% although it does say'

• 'Interest free credit on purchases and cash withdrawals if you pay your balance in full and on time each month' so it does seem you don't pay interest on cash withdrawals from day 1 as with other ccs

Like 0      
02 Feb 2011 3:59 PM by jjb Star rating. 2 posts Send private message

hi hammersfan

OK but to transfer from a Uk bank to Spain costs £25 a transfer,

If you put in a UK cheque to a Spanish bank it takes 1 month to clear while they hold onto your money making interest.

for them.

A UK bank card charging nothing like Nationwide used to do is the best way to get euros abroad.

That is what Metrobank and N&P are now offering.

The Metrobank has no strings,

the N&P have some rules you have to keep to to avoid charges,

I just hope someones head falls at Nationwide for alientaing nearly 1 million customers

I hope that all of the affected Nwide customers change banks but I expect inertia will

mean that most people wont bother

Like 0      
02 Feb 2011 4:31 PM by tonynault Star rating in Stockport & Cox!. 88 posts Send private message

tonynault´s avatar

Hi jjb, 

I would like nothing more than to get rid of my NW account! But(and its a big but!), I don't want to throw the baby out etc.. I have had a great relationship with the NW for many years, I have my mortgage(uk) with them, home insurance, and all of my family are members too! Now, clearly I'm not happy about the changes made to foreign transactions, and I would swap to another bank if I could be sure that, over the long term, it will/would be better.

In the meantime I will, as Hammersfan said, be loading up my Spanish account using HiFX and use my Bancaja debit card when in Spain.

Tony. 

P.S.

Forgot to mention that transferring money over with a currency broker like HiFX costs nothing!(yes I know they make their money from giving you a crap rate!) but there are no charges at either end and setting up an account is simple!(all done online.)

This message was last edited by tonynault on 02/02/2011.

Like 0      
02 Feb 2011 5:28 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2627 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

So transfer additional funds before you come out and then use your Spanish bank's ATMs for free or another Spanish Banks ATMs for a small fee..........simples!

Unless you bank with Barclays who will be charging for ATM withdrawals from later this month, the same as their transfer rate of 4%/ min 3€. You are however allowed 4 free monthly withdrawals from your branch!!!

Mark

Like 0      
02 Feb 2011 6:04 PM by davmunster Star rating in Carvajal\Belfast. 843 posts Send private message

davmunster´s avatar

I have kept my Nationwide account with £1 in it. I am happy that this costs them money and I can use it again if the need arises.

I now transfer money free from my Lloyds TSB UK ac to my Lloyds International ac in Spain and can withdraw from all Servired machines FOC. I don't find it worthwhile to use HiFX for relatively small regular transfers.

Barclays who will be charging for ATM withdrawals from later this month, the same as their transfer rate of 4%/ min 3€. You are however allowed 4 free monthly withdrawals from your branch!!!
I moved away from Barclays 2 years ago because I was fed up with all their charges and poor service - now I am really glad I did!

David

Like 0      
02 Feb 2011 6:17 PM by Patty_1 Star rating in Hertfordshire. UK. .... 1062 posts Send private message

Mark I sent a sterling cheque to Barclays last year as we could not get over.  They did not charge us for that and the rate we got was very good at the time.  Does that sound right to you. 

We do have an account with Barclays in the UK and it was a Barclays cheque.

Pat 

Like 0      
02 Feb 2011 6:22 PM by Hammersfan Star rating in Body in Essex, Heart.... 160 posts Send private message

Marksfish...last time I looked Barclays was not a Spanish bank...

jjb...you need to change your transfer method if you get charged £25 per transfer.

I use Currencies Direct to transfer  to La Caixa every month to pay Mortgage, Bills etc. I have a direct debit in GBP to CD, they give me a rate of 98% of the commercial rate then transfer the proceeds to their agent in Spain. This agent transfers the funds to my La caxia account, and because this transfer is within Spain there are no "Recieving" fees by La Caxia. CD make their money by pocketing the 2% difference between the commercial rate they gate and the rate they give to me...but as far as I'm concerned the resulting rate is still better than I would get at the post office, travel agent, high street bank etc.  If I'm coming out for longer than the weekend, I transfer some more money to CD and that gets added to my monthly Direct debit amount and transferred over...as I say.......simples

btw ..I wouldn't  ever pay a  UK cheque in a Spanish bank...that's about as inefficient  and costly transfer method as you can get

Like 0      
02 Feb 2011 6:41 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2627 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

You obvioulsy don't realise Barclays has its own Spanish entity then!!! www.barclays.es

Like 0      
02 Feb 2011 6:43 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2627 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

Pat & Roy. I think you have a different account to us. We have a Spain Solutions account. Have tried to change to the new account which has less charges and also move our branch from Catagena to Mojacar, but am hitting my head against a brick wall .

Mrk

Like 0      
02 Feb 2011 8:24 PM by Daveline Star rating in Lancashire & Orihuel.... 44 posts Send private message

Hi all,

have used my new N&P debit card this weekend to withdraw cash, and we got the Visa rate £1.17.

Just be aware that the withdrawal limit per day is per account, NOT per card as with NW

Getting a Halifax Clarity card for credit card purchases !!

Dave

Like 0      
02 Feb 2011 10:01 PM by Sanchez1 Star rating. 853 posts Send private message

Unless you bank with Barclays who will be charging for ATM withdrawals from later this month, the same as their transfer rate of 4%/ min 3€. You are however allowed 4 free monthly withdrawals from your branch!!!

This is not correct, at least accoring to the information I recently received from Barclays.

Barclays cash points- Always free

Servired cashpoints in towns where there is no Barclays - Always free

Servired cashpoints in towns with a Barclays - first four withdrawals per month are free, the fifth onwards will be charged 1€ commission.  If it's not a Servired cashpoint, there's a minimum commission of 3€.

Read my blog: Spain Money Saving Tips and Offers 

Use TransferWise to send money abroad. A lot cheaper than the bank and other online currency exchanges!.

Like 0      
02 Feb 2011 10:08 PM by Sanchez1 Star rating. 853 posts Send private message

As Hammersfan mentioned earlier in the thread, why are people making things so complicated, examining terms and conditions of cards/accounts to see what the charges and rates are etc?

It's simple.  Open a Spanish bank account with Barclays, Cajamar or one of the other banks that don't charge any commissions.  Open an account with xe.com, and use it to transfer money from your UK account to your Spanish account.  Ideally wait for a favourable exchange rate and do the transfer.  That's it.

Read my blog: Spain Money Saving Tips and Offers 

Use TransferWise to send money abroad. A lot cheaper than the bank and other online currency exchanges!.

Like 0      
02 Feb 2011 10:21 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2627 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

That must have been my poor interpretation of the letter I received this weekend which I will seek clarification on.

Mark

Like 0      
02 Feb 2011 11:13 PM by fpegman Star rating in San Miguel De Salina.... 441 posts Send private message

fpegman´s avatar

Quote from Hammersfan

jjb...you need to change your transfer method if you get charged £25 per transfer.

I use Currencies Direct to transfer  to La Caixa every month to pay Mortgage, Bills etc. I have a direct debit in GBP to CD, they give me a rate of 98% of the commercial rate then transfer the proceeds to their agent in Spain. This agent transfers the funds to my La caxia account, and because this transfer is within Spain there are no "Recieving" fees by La Caxia. CD make their money by pocketing the 2% difference between the commercial rate they gate and the rate they give to me...but as far as I'm concerned the resulting rate is still better than I would get at the post office, travel agent, high street bank etc.  If I'm coming out for longer than the weekend, I transfer some more money to CD and that gets added to my monthly Direct debit amount and transferred over...as I say.......simples

btw ..I wouldn't  ever pay a  UK cheque in a Spanish bank...that's about as inefficient  and costly transfer method as you can get

Unquote.

Barclays have been in Spain as a Spanish bank(not a branch of the UK bank ) for over 40 years I know i worked for them.

This message was last edited by fpegman on 02/02/2011.

Fred

Overseas Property Company

fred@overseaspropertycompany.com

Real Estate sales - rentals and Lloyds insurance agency.

Like 0      
03 Feb 2011 1:00 AM by Patty_1 Star rating in Hertfordshire. UK. .... 1062 posts Send private message

Yes Sanchez1,

We have received this letter from Barclays and that was how I interpretated the letter all ATM's withdrawals from Barclay's will be free.

Sorry Mark that you cannot change your account do not quite understand why? Is it because you already had an account with them. The account we opened I think was for new customers. 

Pat

This message was last edited by Pat and Roy on 03/02/2011.

Like 0      

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Newbees - 2 posts
Hello! I'm also new here!! - 1 posts
Bacco D.O.C. Valencia - 2 posts
hi,i am new here. - 0 posts
help me please - 2 posts
SC IPHONE 4G - 6 posts
Iberdrola energy company - 2 posts
I am leaving Spain - 6 posts
Alternatives?? - 3 posts
How can I get a better price on the ski pass for Sierra Nevada? - 15 posts
Summer job - 0 posts
english electrician will i be able to work in spain? - 0 posts
New Case Law November 2010 on Banks risponsabilities - 45 posts
Torresta - 1 posts
If you missed this, here you are .. the fireworks in London at midnight. - 4 posts
Let me introduce myself. - 4 posts
Wanted to buy in Malaga Area - 2 posts
Last Christmas - 0 posts
Surgery in Spain - 4 posts
Grupo Domingo - 2 posts
tv/sat reccomendations - 0 posts
May we all have a vision... Happy New Year - 8 posts
Struggling to pay spanish mortgages - 4 posts
Longterm let wanted - 3 posts
Register cottage 'change of use' so we can rent it out - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 44

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 | 3 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x