Time to swap your Nationwide account

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
03 Feb 2011 1:08 PM by nigela Star rating. 415 posts Send private message

If you are over in Spain for a couple of weeks then I think you would find it cheaper to use a credit card like the Clarity where your rate of exchange is the full commercial rate not just 98%.   At an interest rate of about 12% pa this would equal less than 1/2% over 2 weeks not the 2% you lose by using currency direct - as long as the balance on your account is paid of straight away as soon as you get home.  You could even - by using wi fi on your phone or computer - make a payment over the internet whilst you are in Spain or even set up a payment to be made from your English bank account on a specific date whilst you are in Spain.

Like 0      
03 Feb 2011 2:55 PM by mazlester Star rating in Currently Bedford bu.... 23 posts Send private message

mazlester´s avatar

Hi,

Have a look at FairFX card.  You can load up to E7000 maximum, you get a spot rate which is always better than the banks and Post Office.  It costs E1.50 per withdrawal but that's for ANY amount.  You can also use it like a credit card with a pin for which there is NO charge!  The best thing aout this card is that you can load the card when the rate is good.  we've used it for a couple of years and had no problems with it.  You will need a UK bank account to make the purchase.

Maria

Like 0      
11 Feb 2011 10:13 AM by El Alamillo Star rating in Nottingham & El Alam.... 221 posts Send private message

Just Reporting back on a previous post

Back In January I Withdrew €330 at the Cam Bank using my new Halifax Clarity card paying £281.55 on my statement giving me  an exchance rate of 1.17.

Checking my statement I have £0.75p to pay in interest for the transaction. I paid off the transaction 15 days after the withdrawal.

So in all Not a bad card to use.

Better than the NW flex

Still better than the 1.15 rate given by HIFX used at the same time to transfer to my account in Spain.

Still not bad with the free transfer.

JB

Like 0      
13 Feb 2011 5:19 PM by Norm de Plume Star rating in North Tenerife and L.... 162 posts Send private message

Have used my Citibank Account in Tenerife in several machines and not been charged a fee.  It does indeed seem to be the answer.

Like 0      

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Newbees - 2 posts
Hello! I'm also new here!! - 1 posts
Bacco D.O.C. Valencia - 2 posts
hi,i am new here. - 0 posts
help me please - 2 posts
SC IPHONE 4G - 6 posts
Iberdrola energy company - 2 posts
I am leaving Spain - 6 posts
Alternatives?? - 3 posts
How can I get a better price on the ski pass for Sierra Nevada? - 15 posts
Summer job - 0 posts
english electrician will i be able to work in spain? - 0 posts
New Case Law November 2010 on Banks risponsabilities - 45 posts
Torresta - 1 posts
If you missed this, here you are .. the fireworks in London at midnight. - 4 posts
Let me introduce myself. - 4 posts
Wanted to buy in Malaga Area - 2 posts
Last Christmas - 0 posts
Surgery in Spain - 4 posts
Grupo Domingo - 2 posts
tv/sat reccomendations - 0 posts
May we all have a vision... Happy New Year - 8 posts
Struggling to pay spanish mortgages - 4 posts
Longterm let wanted - 3 posts
Register cottage 'change of use' so we can rent it out - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 44

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 | 3 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x