Time to swap your Nationwide account

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
04 Jan 2011 12:00 AM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2627 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

Checking out the Norwich & Peterborough website today, shows that the current account is now offering free overseas ATM withdrawals and debit card use, if you pay in more than £500 per month.

My application has just gone in, bye bye Nationwide .

Mark

P.S. If you are considering switching from NW to N&P and you have a legacy account, don't forget to leave £100 in it so you can vote at the AGM and if it ever demutualises, receive your bucks!!

Like 0      
04 Jan 2011 10:56 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Well sussed, Mark!  

I see also the Gold Classic current a/c, the one you're talking about, gives customers free protection for our cards with key & lock replacement too. Check it out here.

We, too, may well be changing. We've used XE.com on Mark's suggestion the last trip, worked well.

Thanks Mark.

Like 0      
05 Jan 2011 5:49 PM by CostaChris Star rating in Yorkshire and Arroyo.... 38 posts Send private message

I've already opened a Gold Classic account which was very easy and completed in a couple of weeks just before Christmas.

As Mark said I'm maintaining a Nationwide up until the Nationwide AGM so I can try and vote out the directors that have scrapped the free European cash withdrawals. If I have a vote I might as well use it. I understand from other Forums that there is a large group of customers, unhappy with the changes, who intend to use their votes in a similar way.

This message was last edited by CostaChris on 05/01/2011.

Like 0      
06 Jan 2011 9:02 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2627 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

Got the email today to say we have our account, just have to send in proof of address for the both of us :). Hope to be up and running in the next 10 days. We are also taking advantage of the account moving service, £50 if not done in 10 days!!

Mark

Like 0      
07 Jan 2011 9:11 PM by Daveline Star rating in Lancashire & Orihuel.... 44 posts Send private message

Thanks Mark ,

we too have had our account opened.

Bye Bye Nationwide !!!

Dave

Like 0      
08 Jan 2011 1:13 AM by tonynault Star rating in Stockport & Cox!. 88 posts Send private message

tonynault´s avatar

Do we know if N&P give you the headline bank exchange rate as NW does? 

Like 0      
20 Jan 2011 4:26 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2627 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

So our account is now open, all quite painless, debit cards have arrived and we have online banking  All that remains is to see what rate they give on ATM withdrawals when I next visit (hopefully February).

Mark

Like 0      
20 Jan 2011 6:48 PM by Norm de Plume Star rating in North Tenerife and L.... 162 posts Send private message

I've replaced my NW account with a Citbank euro account.  Free to use and commercial rate of exchange.

Very satisfied so far.

I too shall make use of my vote at the NW AGM to vote against the present regime.

Like 0      
29 Jan 2011 11:46 AM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2627 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

I asked the question in the end and received the reply that the society uses the tourist rate on overseas transactions .

Mark

Like 0      
30 Jan 2011 1:15 AM by Getting Older Star rating in Midlands / Los Galla.... 35 posts Send private message

Getting Older´s avatar

Norm de Plume have you actually withdrawn any cash yet and if so which bank's ATMs did you use? I've just read the Citibank info & it says other banks may charge a fee for withdrawing. Am guessing it is probably ok as that is a generic condition, but there are no Citibanks anywhere in the area so I want to be sure it's free before applying.

If free, it looks like the answer, as N&P is only the tourist rate.

Thanks.

Like 0      
31 Jan 2011 6:36 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Two members discussing the rate on another forum say they've been told by N & P that it's Visa rate so pretty much commercial rate, which is what I'd expect anyway. One quoted  'I drew 20 euros and it showed up as £16.66' & he was talking about withdrawing that two weeks ago, worked out at 1.20

Like 0      
01 Feb 2011 12:35 PM by El Alamillo Star rating in Nottingham & El Alam.... 221 posts Send private message

Hi I retired my Nw Flex last year. I took up with a Halifax Clarity Card. Yes it is a credit card. But with no fees either end for withdrawing Euros fro an ATM. The only fees are if you do not pay in full by the request for payment.

I used my Clarity at the Cam Bank last week.

I checked my online statement on my return to UK to find that I recieved an exchange rate of 1.1745

With no charges.

Sounds Good to me.

I also use a Caxton FX Global Traveller Card. Good rate but not quite as good as the Clarity Card.

JB

Like 0      
01 Feb 2011 12:44 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Hi JB

We also now have a Halifax Clarity credit card but you DO incur interest @ 12.92% from the day you withdraw euros from an ATM till the day they receive payment, not as you said, see http://www.halifax.co.uk/creditcards/conditions_7785.asp but yes, other than that it's free.

Like 0      
01 Feb 2011 2:20 PM by El Alamillo Star rating in Nottingham & El Alam.... 221 posts Send private message

I have used it 3 times now & never been Charged.

Last week druw

Last week drew €330 at the Cam and paid today £281.55  So No Charge?

Overview

The Clarity card is our newest credit card and has one simple interest rate of 12.9% APR representative variable, however or wherever you use it.

What's really exciting about Clarity is that there are no usage fees:

No fee to transfer a balance
 No cash withdrawal fee
 No fee to use it anywhere worldwide
 No annual fee.

That's it, it really is that simple!

We're giving you even more reason to apply:

We are offering a bonus cashback reward on any balances you want to transfer in the first 90 days. So if you have any balances on a card with a higher rate you can make a double saving. Firstly, benefit from having lower interest payments and secondly, for every balance that you transfer when you first open your account you will get a 2% cashback reward (up to a maximum of £60).

To benefit from the 2% cashback on balance transfers offer:

• Transfer a balance to your Clarity credit card and you will get 2% cashback credited to your account. This offer applies to balances transferred in the first 90 days and is available to new customers only.
  • The maximum cashback value is £60, so if you transfer a balance of more than £3,000 your cashback will be capped at £60.
  • The cashback amount will be applied within 30 days of the balance transfer being added to your account.

Like 0      
01 Feb 2011 2:27 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Wait till you receive your statement, JB!  It'll be added to that.

But THEIR interest on cash withdrawals is the cheapest I've come across, Santander ZERO credit card charge more than double! 27.9%!! 

http://www.halifax.co.uk/creditcards/conditions_7785.asp show you

3.4 We calculate interest we charge on your average daily balance and charge it to your account on each statement date.  The interest rates shown above are calculated by compounding the interest we charge each month over one year.  The simple interest rates (not including interest being charged on interest) are:-

Balance transfers 12.20% per annum
  Cheques 12.20% per annum
  Cash advances 12.20% per annum
  Purchases  12.20% per annum

This message was last edited by morerosado on 01/02/2011.

Like 0      
01 Feb 2011 2:31 PM by El Alamillo Star rating in Nottingham & El Alam.... 221 posts Send private message

Money Insider: Halifax's Clarity card offers no-fee foreign withdrawals

By Andrew Hagger

Saturday, 17 July 2010

despite credit card providers writing off up to 10 per cent of outstanding balances as bad debts, there is still a huge choice of credit card deals out there, offering a confusing array of introductory deals with numerous interest rate and fee combinations.

That's why it was a refreshing change to see the launch of the new Clarity credit card from Halifax last week. It's simply a good value, no nonsense product which stands out from the majority of the market.

There are no confusing interest-free introductory offers for purchases or balance transfers; instead, Halifax is aiming for a longer-term relationship with customers by offering straightforward value. What is particularly good is that there are no cash withdrawal or foreign loading fees for those who like to use their credit card overseas. Typically, a £100 cash withdrawal abroad can cost you almost an extra £6, by the time you take into account a 3 per cent withdrawal fee plus a foreign loading fee of typically between 2.75 per cent and 2.99 per cent.

At 12.9 per cent, the Clarity card's APR for purchases is well below the market average of 18.4 per cent, and the cash rate of 12.9 per cent is less than half that charged by many high-street rivals. While 12.9 per cent is the typical rate, bear in mind that some people with a less-than-perfect credit record may be offered the card at a slightly higher rate of 17.9 per cent or 21.9 per cent APR.

If you are someone who doesn't clear their balance every month, then one of the many cards offering a 0 per cent introductory deal on purchases or balance transfers may be a more cost-effective option. Halifax's Clarity card is a back-to-basics product and likely to prove a big hit with holidaymakers in the coming months, providing the opportunity to withdraw cash overseas without having to shell out a small fortune in costs.

It's also good to see Halifax customers being given the opportunity to earn a further £5 bonus per month, simply by spending a minimum of £300 per month on their card.

If you take out the current account and the credit card, you can potentially earn £120 per year in return for your loyalty, a strategy that could well pay dividends for bank and customer alike

Like 0      
01 Feb 2011 2:36 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar
NB   IN RED   BELOW!

Money Insider: Halifax's Clarity card offers no-fee foreign withdrawals

By Andrew Hagger

Saturday, 17 July 2010

despite credit card providers writing off up to 10 per cent of outstanding balances as bad debts, there is still a huge choice of credit card deals out there, offering a confusing array of introductory deals with numerous interest rate and fee combinations.

That's why it was a refreshing change to see the launch of the new Clarity credit card from Halifax last week. It's simply a good value, no nonsense product which stands out from the majority of the market.

There are no confusing interest-free introductory offers for purchases or balance transfers; instead, Halifax is aiming for a longer-term relationship with customers by offering straightforward value. What is particularly good is that there are no cash withdrawal or foreign loading fees for those who like to use their credit card overseas. Typically, a £100 cash withdrawal abroad can cost you almost an extra £6, by the time you take into account a 3 per cent withdrawal fee plus a foreign loading fee of typically between 2.75 per cent and 2.99 per cent.

At 12.9 per cent, the Clarity card's APR for purchases is well below the market average of 18.4 per cent, and the cash rate of 12.9 per cent is less than half that charged by many high-street rivals. While 12.9 per cent is the typical rate, bear in mind that some people with a less-than-perfect credit record may be offered the card at a slightly higher rate of 17.9 per cent or 21.9 per cent APR.

If you are someone who doesn't clear their balance every month, then one of the many cards offering a 0 per cent introductory deal on purchases or balance transfers may be a more cost-effective option. Halifax's Clarity card is a back-to-basics product and likely to prove a big hit with holidaymakers in the coming months, providing the opportunity to withdraw cash overseas without having to shell out a small fortune in costs.

It's also good to see Halifax customers being given the opportunity to earn a further £5 bonus per month, simply by spending a minimum of £300 per month on their card.

If you take out the current account and the credit card, you can potentially earn £120 per year in return for your loyalty, a strategy that could well pay dividends for bank and customer alike

Like 0      
01 Feb 2011 2:38 PM by El Alamillo Star rating in Nottingham & El Alam.... 221 posts Send private message

OK thanks for that.. I will report back when the statement arrives.

JB

Like 0      
01 Feb 2011 2:48 PM by El Alamillo Star rating in Nottingham & El Alam.... 221 posts Send private message

HI marksfish

Yes I am wrong. Just  checked back statements and yes interest added after payment made.

Musy be age setting in.

Regards JB

Like 0      
01 Feb 2011 2:51 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Definitely age as I posted to you, not Marksfish! Ha Ha!

Like 0      

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Newbees - 2 posts
Hello! I'm also new here!! - 1 posts
Bacco D.O.C. Valencia - 2 posts
hi,i am new here. - 0 posts
help me please - 2 posts
SC IPHONE 4G - 6 posts
Iberdrola energy company - 2 posts
I am leaving Spain - 6 posts
Alternatives?? - 3 posts
How can I get a better price on the ski pass for Sierra Nevada? - 15 posts
Summer job - 0 posts
english electrician will i be able to work in spain? - 0 posts
New Case Law November 2010 on Banks risponsabilities - 45 posts
Torresta - 1 posts
If you missed this, here you are .. the fireworks in London at midnight. - 4 posts
Let me introduce myself. - 4 posts
Wanted to buy in Malaga Area - 2 posts
Last Christmas - 0 posts
Surgery in Spain - 4 posts
Grupo Domingo - 2 posts
tv/sat reccomendations - 0 posts
May we all have a vision... Happy New Year - 8 posts
Struggling to pay spanish mortgages - 4 posts
Longterm let wanted - 3 posts
Register cottage 'change of use' so we can rent it out - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 44

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 | 3 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x