Bus trips to Gibraltar

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
02 May 2010 12:00 AM by amatista Star rating. 440 posts Send private message

Hi,

I have a couple of friends over who want to go to Gib next week for a day. I am working so am trying to find a coach trip that goes on Tuesday preferably. Last time I went it was €12 each return (about 4 months ago) but this particular bus only goes on Fridays and it is too late for them. Anyone know of anything?

Thanks,

Jane

Like 0      
02 May 2010 12:06 PM by philevans Star rating in Axminster Devon & Sa.... 187 posts Send private message

philevans´s avatar

where abouts are they going from?

There are buses every day from Malaga to La linea (No 13 i think) , but not all stop at sabinillas or sotogrande.

Phil

What you see is what you get 

Like 0      
02 May 2010 12:11 PM by suemac Star rating in Jumilla, Murcia. 1001 posts Send private message

Hi Jane

Have you checked  the Portillo website?  We went to Gib for the day a couple of years ago and decided to use the local bus, as coach trips seemed rather expensive.  You don´t say where you live, however we were staying in Marbella and caught the bus from there.   It goes to La Linea and one advantage is that the coaches have to wait at the border, whereas they can just get off the bus and walk across.

Sue

Sue Walker

Author of "Retiring the Ole Way", now available on Amazon

See my blog about our life in Spain: www.spainuncovered.com

Like 0      
02 May 2010 12:37 PM by TechNoApe Star rating in Duquesa, Manilva. 1277 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

TechNoApe´s avatar

When my Brother and his Girlfriend were over last christmas, they caught a bus to Gibraltar from La Duquesa (just past Sabinillas) in Manilva. It took them to La Linea Bus Terminus and they then walked across the border and caught  the No. 3 'hoppa' service, which runs from the Airport Terminal at the border all the way to Europa Point (the Southern most point in Europe).

You pay one small price (was less than £2.00) and you can get on and off as many times as you like, and during Mon-Fri they run every 15 mins.

Here is a link to Gibraltar Bus Routes

www.andalucianstyle.com

Me, the Mrs and Rosie too! But we'll never, ever forget our Tyler!

We support AAA Abandoned Animals Marbella - Do you?

Like 0      
02 May 2010 1:10 PM by amatista Star rating. 440 posts Send private message

Oooops I should have said I live in Mijas-Golf.

Thanks, Jane

Like 0      
03 May 2010 2:42 AM by foxbat Star rating in Granada. 1112 posts Send private message

foxbat´s avatar

Puts me in mind of my first ever trip to the CDS. We stayed in Benalmadena (you know...Clacton / Margate with sun) as guests of Thomson Holidays and elected to go on their trip to Gib...(Yes I know, there's one born every minute...)  Having paid Thomsons vastly inflated price for the trip, we stopped somewhere along the main drag at a service area where we joined about 50 other coaches also heading for Gib. On leaving the service area our guide / rep handed out guide books to all the passengers...it wasn't until we came to get off the coach at Gib that she held out her hand and demanded 2 Euros for each copy of the guide book...

Welcome to the rip-off world of Thomson and the CDS...and just to cap it all it was bl**dy freezing on the rock; The CDS was recording one of its hottest days of the year but on the rock it was cloudy and 50F. Really impressed....

I came away from Gib disillusioned and vowed never to return to the CDS; a vow I have to break occasionally as we can only use Malaga airport...

fb. 

http://www.facebook.com/ruido.blanco.773

Like 0      
03 May 2010 8:35 AM by amatista Star rating. 440 posts Send private message

Ha ha good one. I have lived on the CDS for 15 years and am still disillusioned. x

Like 0      
03 May 2010 10:30 AM by suemac Star rating in Jumilla, Murcia. 1001 posts Send private message

Foxbat, that was exactly what I meant!  We picked up a brochure at our hotel and saw the cost of the trip to Gib  and my immediate reaction was "let´s see if we can get a local bus!"  I knew we could walk across the border from La Linea as many, many years ago I had lived in Gib for just over a year.

We have only visited the CDS off season, however even Benalmadena has its good points, though I admit that the first  "spanish" bar we went into on the sea front turned out to be British run!  The prices weren´t bad for where it was though, and we subsequently found reasonably priced Spanish bars and restaurants in Arroyo de la Miel. 

I hate to say this, but in general we have found Spanish bars a lot cheaper than British owned bars, so we usually avoid the latter.  I know we should support fellow Brits, but we are now retired so don´t have money to waste!

On our last visit to the CDS we stayed in Cancelada, which we loved.  There were bars in the pueblo with menú del día at CB or even inland prices!  We also enjoyed visits to Estepona, so foxbat - it is worth going back to the CDS, but ask for advice on where to go (and don´t book it with Thomson!)

Sue Walker

Like 0      
03 May 2010 10:58 AM by TechNoApe Star rating in Duquesa, Manilva. 1277 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

TechNoApe´s avatar

Why not use the local bus service from Malaga to Marbella, and then catch a local bus from Marbella to Estepona, and then from there to La Linea?

www.andalucianstyle.com

Me, the Mrs and Rosie too! But we'll never, ever forget our Tyler!

We support AAA Abandoned Animals Marbella - Do you?

Like 0      
03 May 2010 11:04 AM by amatista Star rating. 440 posts Send private message

Because it will take about a day to get there, but thanks anyway. I was hoping there might be some coaches leaving Fuengirola area for Gibraltar, as i know there is one for €12 return on a Friday but need to go before then. Thanks anyway, Jane

Like 0      
03 May 2010 1:38 PM by suemac Star rating in Jumilla, Murcia. 1001 posts Send private message

Jane, it depends on whether you mind an early start!  I checked the portillo website, and there is a bus from Fuengirola to La Linea leaving at 08.00, which arrives there at 10.00.  Go to http://www.ctsa-portillo.com/horarios.html.  This appears to be a direct bus too, however if you got a bus to Marbella bus station and changed there you might have a wider choice of times.

Sue

Sue Walker

Like 0      
03 May 2010 1:50 PM by Tolly99 Star rating. 19 posts Send private message

There is a bus that goes from Fuengirola bus station to La Linea Bus Station - i think it takes about 1.5 hours  - and goes several times a  day - does stop in some of the large towns - but does not go round all the little villages etc that some do - - can't remember the number as it has been a while since we used it - from memory it was also inexpensive - less that 5€ each way - will try to get hold of my friend who lives in Fuengirola - he has used that bus more recently than me - will post any more info i find out

Like 0      
03 May 2010 1:59 PM by Sanchez1 Star rating. 853 posts Send private message

The Fuengirola to La Linea bus takes 2 hours and there's 4-5 per day.  More info on the Portillo website.

Read my blog: Spain Money Saving Tips and Offers 

Use TransferWise to send money abroad. A lot cheaper than the bank and other online currency exchanges!.

Like 0      
03 May 2010 2:42 PM by tigersharkjs Star rating. 4 posts Send private message

Why not just rent a car for the day?

Like 0      
03 May 2010 10:35 PM by soto_dave Star rating. 20 posts Send private message

I was in Fuengirola a couple of years ago and did a day trip to Gib....lots of places along the front were offering this eccursion on most daysof the week

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

does any one know were i can buy a jet ski from - 3 posts
amber pools - 6 posts
Pets - 10 posts
Hola from Madrid - 9 posts
buyer or seller to pay yearly IBI? - 1 posts
Sofa shop/warehouse - 3 posts
selling without an agent or solicitor - 2 posts
Appliances - 5 posts
Looking for Dave in Dolores in the orange grove - 3 posts
Happy May Day, what do YOU remember about your childhood days - 0 posts
Good restuarants in Mazarron and Puerto de Mazarron - 1 posts
Rebooking on Monarch (after the volcano) - 4 posts
Sony SET TV on TDT gone. - 8 posts
Deeds for properties on Camposol - 12 posts
Fridge with Small Separate Top Freezer - Aspes - 0 posts
OK, own up, who posts from work? :-)))))))))) - 19 posts
And we thought the spanish where Bad Drivers! - 3 posts
La Renta Tax - 0 posts
CHARO, Formentera del Segura - 13 posts
Friday Golf Society - 0 posts
Can a Presidente change a rule? - 21 posts
house restoration or hose building - 1 posts
Changes in our fees - 7 posts
Another property tax? - 0 posts
Good surfing beaches? - 3 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 15

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x