18 and moving to Spain!

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
08 Aug 2009 12:00 AM by LauraEmily Star rating. 2 posts Send private message

Hey all.

Well there's 2 of us, we're 18 and looking at moving to Lanzarote in March.

Hoping for bar jobs and we think we've already got an apartment lined up.

Basically we're struggling on the basics!!

Do we need spanish bank accounts?

How would we pay bills?

Do we need work permits?

Do we just get on a plane, move into apartment, and go ask around some bars?

Help would be appreciated :) 

Thanks, Laura xx

Like 0      
10 Aug 2009 10:43 AM by Mike CJ Star rating. 2 posts Send private message

Hi Girls

You don't need a work permit here in Lanzarote assuming you are already an EU citizen. Once you start work you will need a NIE and NIF number, but that's fairly easy to arrange.

I would recommend that you do open a Spanish bank account, again pretty easy.

Essentially yes, just jump on a plane and if you have accommodation sorted then start visiting the bars. Make sure you have enough money to live on until you do start work.

Like 0      
10 Aug 2009 11:26 AM by Sanchez1 Star rating. 853 posts Send private message

Hi there,

One thing I would definitely recommend you do before you head off to Spain is to get a European Health Insurance Card.  See here for more details.  This will entitle you to emergency health care cover. 

Because bar work is likely to be cash in hand work, you will not be paying social security in Spain so you won't be entitled to use the Spanish health care system.  So definitely make sure you get the European Health Insurance Card.

As for bank accounts, it's probably best to open one.  You can open up a Halifax Hispania account from the UK before you head off to Spain.  Have a look here.

David

Read my blog: Spain Money Saving Tips and Offers 

Use TransferWise to send money abroad. A lot cheaper than the bank and other online currency exchanges!.

Like 0      
10 Aug 2009 11:37 AM by Nati Star rating in Manilva (Costa del .... 237 posts Send private message

Hi girls,

go for it having into consideration previous advice from Mike and Sanchez1. Everything is possible, especially at the age of 18. Good luck and have loads of fun.

Ana

Ana Sánchez. PGCE, MA & BA(Hons)

Teaching and Translation Services

Like 0      
10 Aug 2009 11:41 AM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

Emergency health is free for everyone ( national, foreigners- legal and illegal) in the National Public Health  System.

http://www.eyeonspain.com/blogs/costaluz/1031/legal-tip-20-right-to-health-care-of-foreigners-in-spain.aspx

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
10 Aug 2009 12:42 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Hi girls, welcome to EOS forum. Please do ensure you have adequate travel insurance as well as the EHIC card, which is (as I understand it) to be used for travellers rather than those who are there some time & working too but I stand to be corrected.

In Spain where we visit I've heard hospitals demanding sight of your return details, ferry/flight etc to prove you intend returning or they will charge you. You certainly don't want to be ill enough (or worse) to be repatriated at your own expense.

But yes, go for it.

Like 0      
10 Aug 2009 7:00 PM by advisor Star rating in London most of the t.... 311 posts Send private message

Considering an 18 year olds future prospects in the UK I agree go for it i would consider the following;

go out 2 months before the tourist season starts- giving you time to both look for work before the crowd and to rent dffor say 6 months an apartment

take a uk annual insurance out prior to going at a cost of circa £70-£100 (check small print re working etc)

work out the costs etc so that you have enough funds should things not work out for you.

good luck

Nobody plans to fail, many fail to plan, sadly the result is the same.

Like 0      
10 Aug 2009 8:13 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Advisor, annual insurances are only usually valid for certain periods away . We've had basic with Fortis 31 days, upgraded to max 45 days away & they do up to max 60 days away. You did say watch the small print re working, which is good advice. Watch though your time out of the UK, if you have a claim you have to provide flight tickets as I know, we had to claim on an annual insurance with Fortis as our hire car was broken into in Dec in Spain.

Like 0      
10 Aug 2009 9:33 PM by LauraEmily Star rating. 2 posts Send private message

All your advice has been brilliant !!

Thank you all so much, we're looking into everything a lot more seriously now :)

Lanzarote here we come :) 

Laura & Rachel  xx

Like 0      
11 Aug 2009 4:47 AM by advisor Star rating in London most of the t.... 311 posts Send private message

good points More

we have one but it is becuase overall travel wise it works out a lot cheaper especialy for skiing as well, as mentoned the devil with this type of insurance is always in the small print , that said it is highly possible there is a "student type" travelling one out there?

Nobody plans to fail, many fail to plan, sadly the result is the same.

Like 0      
22 Oct 2009 5:25 PM by outai Star rating in Cardiff, Wales, UK. 4 posts Send private message

Hey girls, me and my partner are thinking of doing the same! If you could let us know how you guys are getting on it would help us with our choices ! :) thanks

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Dogs on the beach (the four legged variety) - 3 posts
Agricultural / Farming Diesel - 3 posts
Preserving jars for home made jam, etc - 5 posts
Non-Biological Washing products - 2 posts
Protection/ Guard dog wanted - 11 posts
Smoking ban in Spain - 36 posts
What size deposits are needed now - 3 posts
Funeral insurance problems - 1 posts
ALGORFA Air-Con business (Solarplan) - 4 posts
A tale of two lives. - 2 posts
Accounts available before AGM? - 1 posts
Buy to rent schemes - 7 posts
What is the point of a contract and BG!!!!!!! - 1 posts
Compatibility problem? - 0 posts
Rental Contracts - 0 posts
Reflections of WW1 - 5 posts
EOS please tell us which members are in your team - 22 posts
Business Internet - 7 posts
Manilva Feria 2009 - 1 posts
Link Appearing in My Post - 3 posts
Business Potential? - 5 posts
Doing it yourself - 13 posts
UK car hire from Bristol airport - 1 posts
Manilva wine festival - 3 posts
Inflatable Spa Jacuzzi Hot Tub - 45 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 11

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x