What is the point of a contract and BG!!!!!!!

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
07 Aug 2009 12:00 AM by kdr45 Star rating. 9 posts Send private message

Whilst on holiday in Spain recently it was obvious that our apartment is not going to be ready at the end of September 2009 as per our contract.    The apartments are almost built but nothing else has been done.   All surrounding areas where the swimming pool and roads etc should be are still a building site and the golf course which should be ready for the first clients moving in hasn't even been started.     

As a result we instructed our solicitors to notify the developers that we would not be continuing with the purchase as this does not resemble what we were sold. ( i.e. the pictures and information in the promotional material we have).     Our solicitors have advised  that our bank guarantee states the property should have been handed over to us by April 2009.  The solicitors have presented this to the bank and are awaiting their reply but they have warned us that the bank will try everything in their power not to pay and as a result we will need to raise a court action.    After reading other threads on this I guess are chances in being successful would be small.

The solicitors also advised that the developers will not accept cancelling the contract as the suspensive condition was carried out in time.  It could be cancelled justifying delay in delivering the property, but the delay should be long enough (at least a year) as nowadays Judges do not accept to cancel contracts in which there is a short delay"     Is this true?

So basically we have a bank guarantee that we probably cannot enforce and a contract that states completion due by September 2009 which we can't take action on until September 2010.   Am I missing something here?    I was under the impression the contract was there to protect both the buyer and the developer but it would appear it only protects the developer as it can be changed to suit them accordingly when things don't go their way.   

We are at the stage now where we feel we would not like to throw any more money at Spain and just walk away from the whole fiasco.    Does anyone know if that would be an option  i.e withdraw from the contract and forego the deposit.  Is anything that simple.

Any advice greatly appreciated

Like 0      
07 Aug 2009 9:38 AM by LexlandMarbella Star rating. 12 posts Send private message

Hi kdr45,

We deal with various similar cases at the moment, the bank guarantee does protect your interest but what we are finding is that some solicitors are not quite sure how to enforce them, when to enforce them and for what reasons.

We are confident that we would be able to help you in this matter.  Please contact us for free advice if you are interested in our help.

Kind regards,

Lexland Marbella 0034952778899

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Compatibility problem? - 0 posts
Rental Contracts - 0 posts
Reflections of WW1 - 5 posts
EOS please tell us which members are in your team - 22 posts
Business Internet - 7 posts
Manilva Feria 2009 - 1 posts
Link Appearing in My Post - 3 posts
Business Potential? - 5 posts
Doing it yourself - 13 posts
UK car hire from Bristol airport - 1 posts
Manilva wine festival - 3 posts
Inflatable Spa Jacuzzi Hot Tub - 45 posts
in search of a suitable pueblo - 11 posts
Cap and Collar Limits on Mortgages? - 5 posts
Driving a Spanish registered/insured car belonging to a friend - 5 posts
Why is fruit so bad in Spain - 22 posts
Monarch Airlines criticised by CIT Marbella - 0 posts
Replies (WHAT IS THIS ?) - 7 posts
Article re BGs - 2 posts
Article from lawyer about litigating BGs - 6 posts
"the truth at last " - 0 posts
Horizontal law and cost of lifts! - 25 posts
Toyota Yaris for sale - 4 posts
Petition stand up and be counted - 1 posts
AIFOS AND LAWSUITS - 4 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 2

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x