Preserving jars for home made jam, etc

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
08 Aug 2009 12:00 AM by GuyT Star rating. 511 posts Send private message

My wife has asked me to post this. We have a smallholding and she likes bottling jam, fruit, tomatoes, etc. But in this part of Spain (NorthEast Extremadura) the jars are relatively expensive, certainly compared with the USA where they cost around 50 cents a jar. We find we pay upwards of 2 or 3 euros even in local Leclerc, Carrefour, Al Campo (Auchan), etc. One might have thought that in a rural environment a lot of people would do home-made stuff and so the jars would be cheap, but not so.

Do any of you know of a cheaper source, please? Thank you.

Like 0      
08 Aug 2009 6:17 PM by Forhotspot Star rating. 233 posts Send private message

For home made jams, I always use ordinary jam jars & my jam always keeps for 1 or 2 years. I don't know if it will keep for more than 2 yrs as I always run out by the 2nd yr. I love home made jam & will never go back to bought jam after I've been making jams for yrs.

Does anyone know if they do grow blackcurrants in Spain (Rojales area)? I'll miss my home in Canada if I can't grow my own blackcurants in Rojales.  Currants have good pectin which sets very well with a mixture of blueberries, strawberies & raspberries.

Like 0      
08 Aug 2009 8:12 PM by GuyT Star rating. 511 posts Send private message

Hi Forhotspot. The thing is, if one never buys bought jam how does one accumulate jam jars? We buy dozens of jars at a time as most of them end up being given away as gifts.But if the jar is going to cost euros 2.50 it costs far more than the stuff you put in it.  It's almost  cheaper to buy jars of olives, jam, salsa, etc and toss the contents just to have the jar.

We are in raspberry season here in La Vera. We picked up 4kg plus of wonderful raspberries at a local co-op for 10 euros yesterday. I wouldn't even pick 4 kg for 10 euros let alone have to grow them first and then grade them. They are currently being made into jam, hence my wife's telling me to find out where people buy jars.

Like 0      
09 Aug 2009 3:14 AM by Forhotspot Star rating. 233 posts Send private message

Hi GuyT,

I used to buy blueberry jam when I first came to Canada &  I saved the jars. I also get empty jars from friends & relatives. I don't use very big jars for jam. I don't like the bought jams as I can't see & taste the fruit whereas I can taste real fruits in my jam. Blueberry, raspberry & strawberry don't set well without currants.

I grow my own raspberry but I don't think I will grow it when I move to Spain as the roots are annoying unless I can grow it in containers but I certainly need to grow blackcurrants in order to make nice jams.

Like 0      
09 Aug 2009 8:19 AM by semijubilada Star rating in London/Torrevieja. 1052 posts Send private message

How about printing a label for the back of the jars - Please return when empty - .

Of course it will only work if the people receiving the jars live locally to you.

My neighbour would pickle onions so I used to pass on my empty jars.

Do you belong to any clubs locally or is there anywhere where you could leave a notice and a box to collect the jars.  A local charity shop perhaps which would help for a donation?

With a lot of food stuff stored in jars then there should be a large supply of empties going into the basura or recycling bins.  You just need to find a way of collecting them.

Like 0      
25 Jul 2010 12:38 PM by andygman Star rating in Leeds. 21 posts Send private message

Go to your local resaurant or hotel and ask them to save you any jars they use, that is what i do. A few  jars of jam to the owner and everyone is happy

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Non-Biological Washing products - 2 posts
Protection/ Guard dog wanted - 11 posts
Smoking ban in Spain - 36 posts
What size deposits are needed now - 3 posts
Funeral insurance problems - 1 posts
ALGORFA Air-Con business (Solarplan) - 4 posts
A tale of two lives. - 2 posts
Accounts available before AGM? - 1 posts
Buy to rent schemes - 7 posts
What is the point of a contract and BG!!!!!!! - 1 posts
Compatibility problem? - 0 posts
Rental Contracts - 0 posts
Reflections of WW1 - 5 posts
EOS please tell us which members are in your team - 22 posts
Business Internet - 7 posts
Manilva Feria 2009 - 1 posts
Link Appearing in My Post - 3 posts
Business Potential? - 5 posts
Doing it yourself - 13 posts
UK car hire from Bristol airport - 1 posts
Manilva wine festival - 3 posts
Inflatable Spa Jacuzzi Hot Tub - 45 posts
in search of a suitable pueblo - 11 posts
Cap and Collar Limits on Mortgages? - 5 posts
Driving a Spanish registered/insured car belonging to a friend - 5 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 6

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x