Has anyone used 'Car trawler' for car hire

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
18 Mar 2009 12:00 AM by crackers Star rating in Devon / Costa del So.... 81 posts Send private message

Just got a quote through Car trawler which I accessed via the Cheap Car Hire link on EOS.  Good price but I can't see which car hire company it would be with.  Has anyone else used it and if so, at what stage in the booking do you find out which company you are dealing with?

Like 0      
18 Mar 2009 8:48 AM by carsafe Star rating. 28 posts Send private message

Yup,used them for last couple of years in Costa Blanca,no problems;they tell you the company when you get to the final stage,all the companies they have put us with have been well known local ones.

Like 0      
18 Mar 2009 9:23 AM by Team GB Star rating. 1245 posts Send private message

Team GB´s avatar

Hi Crackers

We used Car Trawler for the first time in Feb and have booked again with them for our trip this month. Flying into Malaga we have to collect the car from Sol Mar desk which is  under the arrivals hall, last desk.You will get this info when you get your voucher after booking.

We were very pleased with the whole package from Car Trawler, we even got exact car we asked for(not similar), this was important this time because we were moving household items.

One downside, we got to the Sol Mar desk, it was a Sunday there was only 1 girl working and with three of four groups in front of us it took nearly a hour to get the keys.

Steve

Like 0      
18 Mar 2009 9:49 AM by crackers Star rating in Devon / Costa del So.... 81 posts Send private message

Thanks.  That's sounds good. 

How about insurance?  The quotes give an optional rate  of  'inclusive - no excess' .  Are there any hidden/additional charges that you are asked for when you pick up your car?  I'm querying this as there is limited information provided up to the point of booking.

Like 0      
18 Mar 2009 10:12 AM by Team GB Star rating. 1245 posts Send private message

Team GB´s avatar

Hi

The only 'Extra' at the desk is the option of buying insurance for tyres, wheels,glass,underbody and lost keys, this is 20e for the booking. We normally take this as it means 100% peace of mind.

Steve

Like 0      
18 Mar 2009 3:07 PM by richard4848uk Star rating. 45 posts Send private message

One thing to be careful of..........

A number of car hire firms are asking ( and not always !! ) if you want to pay in pounds or euros.

Make sure that you pay in euros or else you will get hammered with a poor exchange rate and charges.

Richard

Like 0      
18 Mar 2009 3:59 PM by carsafe Star rating. 28 posts Send private message

As far as 'extras' go,or excesses we have been taking out an insurance for years now to cover various excesses,but the best one,and they do pay up,is   :-  Insurance4carhire      its worth it if you hire cars on a regular basis,I think it was £45 per annum when I last renewed,they have a web site,same name

Like 0      
18 Mar 2009 9:35 PM by maggi Star rating. 16 posts Send private message

Be careful they might want you to pay for a full tank of petrol which is far more expensive that the petrol stations outside.  carmalaga is the only one that charge you for a half tank of fuel and return it empty 

Like 0      
18 Mar 2009 10:09 PM by Team GB Star rating. 1245 posts Send private message

Team GB´s avatar

Hi

Car hire has been a favorite topiic for Spanish forums for years, its good to get a up to the minute feed back regarding price and the latest terms and conditions, however the most important thing on most peoples mind as they leave the plane is 'lets get out of here'. In all honesty if one company is 20e more expensive, so what, it is not the end of the world.

Richard

Understand your comments but all car hire companies require to pay with a credit card so british customers must have a exhange rate issue.

Caresafe

Good idea but when i take my car back to Malaga airport early on a Sunday morning with the only thought of getting back home, I dont want to expalain some alternative scheme ive got to a Spanish car hire girl who does not speak English. For 20e per trip its 100% peace of mind, drop and dump.

Maggii

Car Trawler (Sol Mar) done us half full out half full in in Feb

In essence

The difference between the good and the bad is probably only a meal out for four, not really important .

Steve

Like 0      
19 Mar 2009 9:25 AM by maggi Star rating. 16 posts Send private message

They can speak english. A meal for 4 in these times, is not to be sniffed at.

Like 0      
19 Mar 2009 9:33 AM by Jeanie60 Star rating. 103 posts Send private message

We used  cartrawler in Jan at murcia aiport very cheap and no problems.

I think once you book it will show the company. ours was victoria it depends on the the price of car you pick.

Jeanie.

Like 0      
23 Mar 2009 10:51 PM by crackers Star rating in Devon / Costa del So.... 81 posts Send private message

Have just booked a car via 'Car Trawler' and have been allocated it through Goldcar at Malaga airport.  Has anyone got any feedback, good or bad, on this company .

Like 0      
23 Mar 2009 11:22 PM by COSMO Star rating in Gateshead and Costa.... 46 posts Send private message

Hi crackers,

I use goldcar every time I go to Spain,don't know about malaga airport but at Murcia airport you can collect your car keys while you are waiting for your bags.Never had any problems.when you return the keys we either give them to a goldcar worker in the car park who parks the car for you , or if late at night just put them in the letterbox at the pickup desk.

PS when you collect your car you have to pay for the fuel by credit/visa card.

This message was last edited by COSMO on 3/23/2009.

Like 0      
23 Mar 2009 11:26 PM by Team GB Star rating. 1245 posts Send private message

Team GB´s avatar

Hi Crackers

So you didn't get Sol Mar, they must spread it about. As I said we are back Friday and got 'our van' again through Sol Mar, Goldcar are the first down the arrivals ramp at Malaga, always seem to be busy, we booked direct with them a couple of years ago.

Although all went well with Goldcar, we always had to LOL (my daughter told me what this means) that we never every got what we ordered, Will be intresting to hear what car you have booked and what you get.

Steve

Like 0      
23 Mar 2009 11:34 PM by crackers Star rating in Devon / Costa del So.... 81 posts Send private message

Have seen some bad reports re Goldcar on another site so we are a bit worried and are hoping for some reassurance!  We have booked a Ford Focus but will report back on what we actually get

This message was last edited by crackers on 3/23/2009.

Like 0      
24 Mar 2009 12:00 AM by COSMO Star rating in Gateshead and Costa.... 46 posts Send private message

Hi crackers,

I usually book a ford focus from goldcar and have always got one.

Have never had one that has been more than two years old.

I was in  Spain in October and as we had 4 cases I ordered a berlingo/kangoo which is what I got .

Never had any problems with goldcar.

Like 0      
24 Mar 2009 7:34 AM by sterling Star rating in Kent & Partaloa, Alm.... 206 posts Send private message

I must be missing something !!

I've just used cartrawler for a quote for 5 days in April at alicante and found them expensive compared to other quotes.

I've just booked with  Auto-europe and got the car £25.00 cheaper  than quotes on cartrawler  fully inclusive.

another good site which is worth a look is carrentals.co.uk

Happy driving folks

Like 0      
25 Mar 2009 9:20 PM by Grover Star rating. 37 posts Send private message

Team GB has mentioned the extra insurance at 20 euros for the trip.  Carjet have just told me that Goldcar now charge 3 euros per day which soon mounts up.

PaddyW

Like 0      
06 Apr 2009 10:59 AM by Karensun Star rating in Orihuela Costa. 1474 posts Send private message

Karensun´s avatar

We have used 'cartrawler' via EOS the last 4 times we have been to UK.

Prices good, service good,insurance good, call out service good. Free upgrade each time. Additional driver payment fixed.

No Problems.........................thanks EOS.

Now a non-smoker !  

Like 0      
06 Apr 2009 11:30 AM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Like Sterling we compared prices a couple of days ago & car trawler on EOS was a lot more than the big ones we check.

Grover, I think you'll find that Goldcar have a ceiling of 42€ (14 days) but steep all the same. Econorent (only available though at Alicante & Murcia) through  http://www.hirecarsinspain.com/ charge only 16€ per hire period for tyres/windscreen/underside etc plus have a full/full fuel policy. All hire firms have cut back on buying their new cars & all are charging a lot for their hire we've found.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

New Survey - 0 posts
Electricity Bills - 70 posts
FLORIST- PINAR DE CAMPOVERDE?? - 0 posts
HELP - LOOKING FOR FLORIST- PINAR DE CAMPOVERDE - 0 posts
Free Energy Saving Lightbulbs from Iberdrola - 2 posts
Apartment for sale: sea-front, luxury beach & golf resort - 0 posts
Calahonda Business Fair - Come and say hola - 0 posts
Anyone using a Sharp HD Digital Television, bought in the UK, in Spain? - 4 posts
Help Needed With Contract - 7 posts
Storage space or garden for rent???? - 0 posts
Missing channels on Freesat - 9 posts
Original thread messages? - 0 posts
St Patricks Day - 8 posts
How do you claim against the Builder's Insurance? - 0 posts
Terrazas de Alcaucín - Developer is Peninsula - Anyone know anything - 2 posts
Renting to Russians - 1 posts
NHBC????? - 3 posts
Do you own property at Las kalendas EGM tomorrow night in Fortuna - 0 posts
uk V spain? my friend says thanks for helping her find a way forward that suited her. - 0 posts
is it true? - 2 posts
Bying scooter and taking test - 6 posts
Van from London to Almeria City area? - 5 posts
Siesta Show feedback please - 0 posts
Wanted property for a month - 2 posts
reduced yet again - 5 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 45

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 | 3 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x