Has anyone used 'Car trawler' for car hire

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
06 Apr 2009 12:01 PM by Karensun Star rating in Orihuela Costa. 1474 posts Send private message

Karensun´s avatar

Have no idea ( or interest as I live in Spain !  ) about costs of hiring in Spain.......................BUT certainly for UK 'cartrawler' via EOS has been good for us !!

Now a non-smoker !  

Like 0      
06 Apr 2009 12:07 PM by funluvin99 Star rating in Scotland / Moraira. 96 posts Send private message

funluvin99´s avatar

We have used econorent through hirecarsinspain the last half a dozen or so times out of Alicante with no problems and with a full in and full out fuel policy. 

Regards

funluvin

Never let anyone tell you what you can't do!!

Like 0      
21 Apr 2009 10:16 AM by foxhunter Star rating. 3 posts Send private message

There are three very good reasons why I would never use Car Trawler to book my Hire Car again.

1. They debit your credit card immediately when you book with them. (They held my fee for 4 months
  2. If you cancel the booking they deduct €25 from the refund as a cancellation charge.
  3. They cannot tell you what make or model of car that you will get. (As we were going on a golfing holiday I needed to know that the golf clubs would fit into the boot.
If you want to book a car I would recommend that you use CarJet. 

They provide very competitive prices and excellent service.

This message was last edited by foxhunter on 4/21/2009.

This message was last edited by foxhunter on 4/21/2009.

Like 0      
21 Apr 2009 4:01 PM by sterling Star rating in Kent & Partaloa, Alm.... 206 posts Send private message

I agree with Foxhunter .

CarJet are the best. What I like is that you can print your hire voucher off and not get charged until you reach your destination,then pay on your credit card. More often than not you get a good exchange rate on your card which makes the hire cheaper!!

They are reliable and if there is a problem they deal with it straight away.

Like 0      
22 Apr 2009 3:03 PM by Karensun Star rating in Orihuela Costa. 1474 posts Send private message

Karensun´s avatar

I have checked Car Jet for our trip to UK in May and they want 331.20  pounds for the hire and 119.68 pounds for one additional driver.

Car trawler quoted 290.51 pounds for the same car plus Maximum 65 pounds for an additional driver..........................can't see how Car Jet come out of that one on top?

This message was last edited by Karensun on 4/22/2009.

Now a non-smoker !  

Like 0      
23 Apr 2009 6:58 AM by sterling Star rating in Kent & Partaloa, Alm.... 206 posts Send private message

Karensun,

Your right I have just got a quote from Carjet and had a quite expensive , now that is the first time ever I've had a higher quote.

Just tried www.amigoautos.com and got an excellent quote and you dont have to pay until arrival.

Like 0      
27 Apr 2009 10:20 PM by crackers Star rating in Devon / Costa del So.... 81 posts Send private message

Said I would report back re our recent car rental with Goldcar via Cartrawler.

We paid for a Ford Focus but they were happy to allocate a bigger model which we declined.  The charge for petrol was very expensive, the bigger model would have been 75 euros plus a diesel tax.  The one we took was about 70 euros and as they operate 'return empty'  they always gain.  Other than that everything went well.

Think I would probably be more inclined to use car trawler for last minute bookings as this is when their prices look more competitive.  Not keen on paying in advance and not knowing which car company you get until you have actually made the booking. 

Like 0      
30 Apr 2009 12:44 PM by richard4848uk Star rating. 45 posts Send private message

I can never seem to make Econorent car hire full / full cheaper than the full empty car hire companies.

OK perhaps they are cheaper on a 3 or 4 day hire but no way are they cheaper on a 7 day hire.

With an average of 300 km on a 7 day hire they work out lots more expensive !!!

And they never seem to have enough cars available.

I also thinks that the state of the Spanish economy is showing in some of their hire cars !!!

Might be just me but over the last 6 months or so some of the hire cars are looking a bit battered. Doesnt really matter to me as long as the dings are marked on the hire sheet........and they cant really tell if you put another one on ( hehe )

Like 0      
30 Apr 2009 3:20 PM by finoman Star rating. 3 posts Send private message

Just booked a car with Auto Europe - it was £67 for 3 days instead of £90 with other firms - car will be provided by Europcar apparently - trip in a weeks time so have no experience of their service etc

Ian

Like 0      
30 Apr 2009 3:37 PM by janiskath Star rating. 5 posts Send private message

Hi - We find that Doyouspain has worked out the cheapest for us.  Tried carjet, car trawler and direct with auriga, centuro etc and still doyouspain comes up trumps.

jk

Like 0      
03 Jun 2009 4:53 PM by dezzib2001 Star rating. 2 posts Send private message

Booked with car trawler in feb for 2 weeks in july. (£250)  Was given Centauro for the agent (malaga airport).  I checked rates again today (as you do) and was surprised that the price had nearly doubled!  This is our 3rd trip to malaga but the first time i've used car trawler - on the basis that if something looks too good to be true it probably is, can anyone offer me any reassurance - I  hate the thought of standing at the car hire desk with family berating me for making a mess of the booking! Thanks everyone, dezzib2001

Like 0      
03 Jun 2009 5:24 PM by Jack5340 Star rating in Calahonda Costa Del .... 56 posts Send private message

dezzib2001,

I have used Car trawler several times and been satisfied with their service. The earlier you book the cheaper it is. Thats why it is now dearer. It works the same as booking flights.

Like 0      
03 Jun 2009 5:29 PM by dezzib2001 Star rating. 2 posts Send private message

Thanks for that - I knew it was cheaper earlier but it was the extent of the rise in price which made me wonder.  Mind put at rest now though so thanks again.

Like 0      
03 Jun 2009 8:04 PM by conrad Star rating in Milton Keynes and Dr.... 298 posts Send private message

conrad´s avatar

we actually use travelsupermarket.com and find some good prices there in the may half term my wife got from avis a fiat punto for 6 days at 110 pounds

Like 0      
03 Jun 2009 10:40 PM by foxhunter Star rating. 3 posts Send private message

I am in Spain having booked via a different agency because of my previously stated objections to Car Trawler. I ended up with a car from Auriga Crown and although the quoted price was very competitive, I was horrified to find that if I did not accept their additional insurance at over €3 a day, i.e €45 for two weeks, I had to pay a further €300 deposit. I also had to pay €40 for a tankful of petrol.

Like 0      
04 Jun 2009 8:21 AM by conrad Star rating in Milton Keynes and Dr.... 298 posts Send private message

conrad´s avatar

travelsupermarket tells you who you are booking with

Like 0      
14 Jul 2009 8:45 PM by andyha Star rating. 1 posts Send private message

Don't ever use cartrawler. agent asking for 800 euros on collection of car, Didn't get car in end and had to hire elsewhere, complained on return home to be told I had no chance of refund. Claimed in terms it explained had to have large deposit, could have bought car for that.

Cartrawler had £189 of my money for absolutley nothing in return, nice work if you can get it.

Never ever use these rip off merchants

Like 0      
16 Jul 2009 4:24 PM by 12Esc Star rating. 1 posts Send private message

had a very bad experience with car trawler (Argus rentals). The car we rented and paid for (months ahead) was not there when we arrived at the airport (in fact: no one was there to meet us, and the local company did not answer the phone). We had to rent a car with another company for twice the price.

Now car trawler refuses to pay us back our money. They say i should try to claim it on my travel insurance...

My advice: new rent from car trawler. The company is owned by Gregory Turley and Niall Turley. They should be ashamed for the company and the customer service they provide.

Like 0      
16 Jul 2009 5:39 PM by Goldie Star rating. 154 posts Send private message

Looking at car trawler review centre on Google its not that good. what happens if you dont have the insurance I would chase the car hire for the refund?

Like 0      
16 Jul 2009 7:03 PM by crackers Star rating in Devon / Costa del So.... 81 posts Send private message

We used  Car Trawler back in March, ended up with Gold Car.  Luckily for us everything went ok. Our only complaint was the ridiculous amount they charged for fuel.  It's very sad to hear of andyha, 12esc and others bad experiences.  We can only hope that the company reads and acts on these bad reviews. 

Car Trawler was  a last minute booking for us as we had left it too late to use our regular hire company.  We normally use Malagacar.com  (not to be confused with Malagacars.com), they have never let us down and charge reasonable fuel prices. They do say you only find out how good a company is when you have a problem.  Friends of ours who hired through them had their car damaged and told us the car was replaced without any problem.

Like 0      

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

New Survey - 0 posts
Electricity Bills - 70 posts
FLORIST- PINAR DE CAMPOVERDE?? - 0 posts
HELP - LOOKING FOR FLORIST- PINAR DE CAMPOVERDE - 0 posts
Free Energy Saving Lightbulbs from Iberdrola - 2 posts
Apartment for sale: sea-front, luxury beach & golf resort - 0 posts
Calahonda Business Fair - Come and say hola - 0 posts
Anyone using a Sharp HD Digital Television, bought in the UK, in Spain? - 4 posts
Help Needed With Contract - 7 posts
Storage space or garden for rent???? - 0 posts
Missing channels on Freesat - 9 posts
Original thread messages? - 0 posts
St Patricks Day - 8 posts
How do you claim against the Builder's Insurance? - 0 posts
Terrazas de Alcaucín - Developer is Peninsula - Anyone know anything - 2 posts
Renting to Russians - 1 posts
NHBC????? - 3 posts
Do you own property at Las kalendas EGM tomorrow night in Fortuna - 0 posts
uk V spain? my friend says thanks for helping her find a way forward that suited her. - 0 posts
is it true? - 2 posts
Bying scooter and taking test - 6 posts
Van from London to Almeria City area? - 5 posts
Siesta Show feedback please - 0 posts
Wanted property for a month - 2 posts
reduced yet again - 5 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 45

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 | 3 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x