Solmar Car Hire Charges

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
14 Feb 2009 12:00 AM by Marcus Y Star rating. 7 posts Send private message

Anyone any experience of hiring a car through Solmar at Malaga airport?

I hired a car in January for a week, was quoted 70 euros and offered an upgrade for an extra euro per day which I accepted. The desk assistant at the airport went  through the details, offered the insurance, which I declined and I had the weeks hire. When I returned the car it was checked (including the fuel) at the airport by a Solmar staff member and I was told all was fine, I had filled the car up 1 prior to the airport on its return.

Credit card statement arrives and I expect the charge for 77 euro's but my card is charged 121.40 euro's. When I emailed the UK booking agent for a breakdown of this, I am told that I have been charged 44.40 euros for fuel as the 7 day hire operates a collect full return empty policy.

My opinion is I would put a bet on being told at the collection desk that it had a full tank of fuel and should be returned the same way.

Just wondered if anyone else had experienced this with Solmar?

Best regards

Marcus

Like 0      
14 Feb 2009 5:34 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2627 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

I have never booked with Solmar, but if booked on the internet, there must have been something somewhere on the fuel policy. Did you get a booking confirmation where it was stated that the policy was full/ full? Looking at their FAQ's on this page, it states:

- How much will I pay for a full tank of fuel?

Obviously the price of fuel will depend on the model of car, pick up location, and the price of fuel at the time. The price varies from 35€ Euros for small cars and up to 85€ for the larger ones.

That says to me they operate a full/ empty policy and unless you have anything in writing saying otherwise, I think you are stuffed.

Mark

Like 0      
14 Feb 2009 5:56 PM by Pitby Star rating in Andalucía. 1904 posts Send private message

Pitby´s avatar

I don't get it - if it was a full/empty policy, why didn't they charge for the full tank of fuel on collection?  When I hired last year, through hirecarsinspain.com, our rental was with Goldcar (Europa) and we were charged at the point of collection for the fuel (nearly 90 euros for an Opel Astra!!  Bit steep but the whole deal was very good).

So if they operated a full/empty, why didn't they charge for the fuel upfront?  Does seem a bit weird for them not to fully make you aware and then charge you after the event.

Like 0      
14 Feb 2009 6:07 PM by Poppyseed Star rating. 897 posts Send private message

Not had a problem with the fuel policy with Solmar (we use them quite a lot), but once when we'd had a bit of a bump that was covered by the insurance they charged us an extra days hire. The reason? It was to cover the day the car would be off the road being repaired. It was a while ago now so I can't remember how it ended whether we paid it or not but I expect we did.

Regards, Poppyseed

Poppyseed

Like 0      
14 Feb 2009 6:10 PM by Marcus Y Star rating. 7 posts Send private message

My thoughts are, the sceptic in me tells me its a way to get an extra charge out of you, you think you have to fill the car up and then return it which you do, you then get charged for the fuel when your credit card statement arrives, check the original hire agreement and then see their collect full-return empty policy. The hire company gets a car with a full tank of fuel and payment for fuel as well, just my opinion obviously.

Marcus

Like 0      
14 Feb 2009 7:44 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Whyever did you (presumably) sign at their desk for 121.40€ when only expecting 77€ ?  Alarm bells would be ringing for us. We've always been told there's a certain charge upfront for fuel & to return car as near as empty as possible.

Your contract will indicate what is what too. Fuel part will say full/empty I suspect. Have a look.

Like 0      
14 Feb 2009 8:19 PM by Dave/Sue Star rating in Dream Hills2. 6 posts Send private message

We have used Solmar efore on 2 occasions with no problems. The first time we got the fuel payment back as we returned the car with a full tank - the hire period was 5 days. The next time we went for 7 days and I asked on collection if we could do this again and were told no but to bring the car back empty as if was a period of 7days plus.

Like 0      
16 Feb 2009 5:15 PM by sandiemac Star rating in Ireland/El Barranco .... 22 posts Send private message

We got car for a week with goldcar,booked on the internet befor we went and was quoted 78euro.When we handed in credit card we were chaeged 140. The car was a yarisa nd i dont think it takes 70 euro to fill one.I think it is a money racket for the companies to get as much cash in while the business is quiet.A lot wont give you full full on more than 3/4 days.That way when you bring back the car nearly full it will only cost them 10.00 euro or so to fill it again but they will charge the next person hiring 70 euro again.Its a  Rip off   !!!!!!!!

Like 0      
16 Feb 2009 5:51 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Sandiemac, every car hire company (pretty much) does this.

At the bottom of this page http://www.goldcar.es/en/ you'll see Goldcar terms, click here >>  Terms and Conditions

It states ......

Fuel Policy:

• For rentals of three days or less, you will receive the vehicle with a full tank and upon the return or the vehicle you will be refunded the proportion of unused petrol.
  • For rentals of a minimum of four days, you will receive the vehicle with a full tank and you should return it empty.
  • The price of a full tank varies from 45€ to 120€ depending on the make and model of the vehicle, and we kindly request be paid upon pick up.

Like 0      
16 Feb 2009 6:06 PM by wouter Star rating. 10 posts Send private message

Hello,

For a good price and good conditions for care hire use the website from doyouspain read the conditions etc.

They have a deal with all the car hire concerns.

wouter

Like 0      
16 Feb 2009 6:17 PM by alancambs Star rating in Las Kalendas Fortuna. 134 posts Send private message

alancambs´s avatar

We always use Econorent through Hire cars in Spain, they do full tank on pick up and you return it full.

Alan 

Like 0      
16 Feb 2009 6:49 PM by Nailer Star rating. 10 posts Send private message

Marcus

Have used SolMar several times with no issue.Always got a refund on petrol in tank on return after paying for full on collection.Worth calling or writing to them,nothing to lose

nailer

Like 0      
16 Feb 2009 6:50 PM by Nailer Star rating. 10 posts Send private message

Marcus

Have used SolMar several times with no issue.Always got a refund on petrol in tank on return after paying for full on collection.Worth calling or writing to them,nothing to lose

nailer

Like 0      
17 Feb 2009 4:38 PM by sandiemac Star rating in Ireland/El Barranco .... 22 posts Send private message

Tanks for the tips.

Going back out next week so ill keep u posted .

Like 0      
22 Feb 2009 12:22 PM by Spanishblanco Star rating. 1 posts Send private message

We also use ECONORENT through Hirecarsin spain we get a full tank and return with a full tank irrespective of how long the rental is for.

Like 0      
16 Apr 2009 4:02 AM by ileone Star rating. 1 posts Send private message

DO NOT  USE SOLMAR.The worst experience in 30 years .I booked a car at Malaga.But there was no car.Plus staff was insisting thre was no booking while I was showing the confirmation.They are totally UNprofessionals.

Like 0      
16 Apr 2009 7:10 AM by kev2006n Star rating in Sussex and Playa Fla.... 344 posts Send private message

I think they are all just making money out of the fuel. I hired a Berlingo in March. It has a a 60 litre tank and diesel was .82 Euros a litre. They charged me 75 Euros for a tank full! I didn't query it at the airport as someone here suggests, as at that time I had no idea of the size of a Berlingo tank and wasn't sure of the price of diesel. Since my return I have queried the price as it is excessive. I'm told it is correct as they have a refueling charge of 15 Euros. Still only makes 65 Euros and I have asked for 10 Euros to be refunded! I'm waiting for a final reply. I believe there is somewhere to report this type of behaviour. Does anyone know the e mail address? Thanks. The company Goldcar avoid like the plague the rental conditions small print are designed to give you a fright! 

Like 0      
16 Apr 2009 7:39 AM by ******** Star rating in UK & Murcia. 574 posts Send private message

Just returned after a week and used easycar to book a hire car.  The car company was Auriga Crown which I've used before with no problems, but this time at the desk I was asked if I wanted the usual insurance.  If not the deposit charge to my credit card before i could have the car was 300 euros!  i paid the insurance.  Not funny tho.

Jane

Like 0      
16 Apr 2009 11:09 AM by Annie21 Star rating. 368 posts Send private message

Annie21´s avatar

Hi Jane

We just had exactly the same experience as you with Auriga . Does anyone know if it's just Auriga doing this or are the other rental companies doing the same??

Like 0      
16 Apr 2009 6:05 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Centauro website say they charge 15€ per hire period for tyres/windscreen/underside insurance so not bad. Some charge 3€ a day with a ceiling of 2 weeks = 42€

http://www.centauro.net/Estaticas/GB/Condiciones.aspx

12. SCDW Plus.
A further insurance of 15 euros per rental can be taken to cover damage to tires, wheels and the undercarriage of the vehicle

Like 0      

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

good place to eat in guadamar - 3 posts
Spanish Love Poetry for Valentines Day - 2 posts
Another newbie needing help with completion - 2 posts
6 Nations 2009 - 48 posts
Ariving on flight blah blah - 7 posts
Bank of Spain petition - latest - 3 posts
New Criminal Activity - can anyone substantiate - 7 posts
New to Eye on spain - 3 posts
New Criminal Activity - 4 posts
Child Maintenance Issue. - 1 posts
Aifos Demand Letters - 5 posts
Snowing again! - 5 posts
Proposals for AGM - 12 posts
Blue Tits, Fat Balls & Pinched Nuts - 13 posts
Local Moving Company - 0 posts
MURCIA? MAR MENOR? COSTA CALIDA? - 14 posts
Interior Paint - 5 posts
unwanted furniture packs - 1 posts
A task for Justin re mobile sites - 0 posts
One for the PC techies please? - 11 posts
How much to sue a builder? - 11 posts
Iberdrola & Aguaquest bills online - 11 posts
El Pinet Rental - 0 posts
Property management - 1 posts
Communal areas change of use - 13 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 49

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 | 3 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x